It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Horrible Sinus Problems

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-11-2010, 02:22 PM   #1
    Lovelucee
    (female)

Lovelucee HB User
    Horrible Sinus Problems

Hi Everyone,

I have had sinus problems for the last 10 years. They have continually gotten worse and worse. Since January, I have had almost continuous sinus infections (6) and ear infections (3). I have horrible headaches, facial pain, very painful sore throats, awful drainage, blocked ears, pain around my eyes, a wheezing cough and I feel absolutely awful. I use Nasonex daily and take Zyrtec daily. I will also take Benedryl if the itching in my throat or nose seems to get too intense. Recently, I have been taking Mucinex regularly as well because it feels as though I am choking on the mucus.

I see an ENT and in the past 3 weeks I have been on 4 different antibiotics for sinus infections. I just saw him last Saturday and he said that he believed it was a sinus problem and prescribed an antibiotic. I woke up feeling 10 times worse yesterday (Thursday), called his office and he called in a stronger antibiotic.

Today, I am still feeling awful and left work early. After talking to my mom, we both think that my tonsils may be involved (as I always seem to have a sore throat and swollen tonsils) I called the ENT again today and asked to make an appointment with him ASAP to discuss possibly having them out. The receptionist was quite rude and stated that they JUST prescribed me a new antibiotic yesterday and I need to give it time to work. I agreed, but told her that I still wanted to discuss this with the Doctor. She eventually agreed to give me an appointment tomorrow morning.

I am absolutely miserable and I feel like I should not be this sick all the time. I am scared about the amount of antibiotics I have taken and possibly becoming resistant to them. I am also just wondering what other people have tried and about other options to help my sinuses are. I am willing to try anything. I did have a cat scan last year and the ENT said that I did have some thickening of the sinuses but didn't say anymore.

Has anyone else had these sinus problems? What did you do? Am I wrong for wanting to talk with the doctor so soon? What should I be sure to tell the doctor tomorrow? I am looking for any advice that might help. I just want to feel better!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2010, 03:49 AM   #2
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
    Re: Horrible Sinus Problems

If you've been suffering for that long you really need to find an ENT who specializes in the treatment of chronic sinusitis, which probably means looking for the nearest research or teaching hospital (most "garden variety" ENTs aren't really trained to treat people with chronic sinus problems).

You also probably need to see an allergist for allergy testing (if you haven't been tested already).

In addition to what you're already doing, you should also be irrigating your sinuses with a SinusRinse bottle or neti pot (you don't mention irrigation, and if your doctor hasn't recommended it, that's a good indication that he/she don't really know how to treat chronic sinus disease - irrigation is one of the first thing most doctors recommend for helping manage chronic sinusitis).

Have you had a recent CT scan and/or endoscopic exam to identify if there are any anatomical or inflammatory issues contributing to your chronic sinus infections?

Old 06-12-2010, 05:25 AM   #3
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I support your consideration of tonsil removal. I had the same issues years back at age 25. Years of sinus and ear infections, upper respiratory infections from childhood on. My mother would not have my tonsils out though the ENT continued to harp on it (I found this out at age 25 when he told me all this). That was 39 years ago and I have had 1 - yes, ONE - sinus infection since. No ear infections. Only one case of the flu and one case of walking pneumonia. Seriously. And I spent my childhood in and out of the hospital. So this was amazing! Hope you get it all sorted out.

Last edited by Administrator; 07-06-2010 at 11:24 AM.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:52 PM   #4
    withany
    (female)

withany HB User

I have recently read an article that you need to be on antibiotics for 6 to 18 months to COMLPLETELY clear up sinus bacterial infections, but most sinus doctors only want you on them for a few days or weeks. This short period of treatment only serves to make the infection resistant. You may also have a fungal infection, in which case you will need to be an antifungal med.

Closed Thread