It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Acid reflux and anxiety? Sinus and throat issues.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-23-2010, 04:28 PM   #1
    Impatient1
    (female)

Impatient1 HB User
    Acid reflux and anxiety? Sinus and throat issues.

It seems as though my acid reflux issues have coincided with me having a ton of anxiety. When I was taking PPIs things only seemed to worsen but my anxiety was at an all-time high then. Now, I've only really noticed bad acid reflux symptoms when I'm totally stressing out. However, I've been having lots of trouble with my sinuses, ears, and throat. My throat stays irritated looking and sometimes feels a bit swollen on one side. My ears have been aching slightly for over 2 months now. Also feel some sinus pressure. When I went to the doctor, about 6 weeks ago, he also said I had a ton of fluid behind my ears. He thought all these issues were due to a sinus infection.Well, I took antibiotics for 2 weeks and it still didn't clear up. I'm not wanting to go back to the doctor because I'm afraid he'll just think I'm crazy and say anxiety is causing all my troubles which I am still having a difficult time with. I was just wondering if just maybe acid reflux could be causing the sinus/ear/throat issues or is that even possible? I had an upper endoscopy at the end of April and it showed irritation to my esophagus. No mention of anything with my throat but it was bothering me at the time. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2010, 06:00 PM   #2
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
    Re: Acid reflux and anxiety? Sinus and throat issues.

Definitely possible. If the acid comes all the way up into the throat it can totally do that, it's called LPR. Because the throat is more sensitive to acid than the esophagus, you can get a sore throat from reflux WITHOUT getting heartburn!

Just to confuse matters, sinus problems can cause post-nasal drip, which can irritate the stomach and cause reflux.

So, the esophagus works both ways. Unfortunately.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:04 PM   #3
    Impatient1
    (female)

Impatient1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
    Definitely possible. If the acid comes all the way up into the throat it can totally do that, it's called LPR. Because the throat is more sensitive to acid than the esophagus, you can get a sore throat from reflux WITHOUT getting heartburn!

Just to confuse matters, sinus problems can cause post-nasal drip, which can irritate the stomach and cause reflux.

So, the esophagus works both ways. Unfortunately.
    Thanks for your response! Maybe I should just try taking Prilosec again to see if it would help. If it doesn't then no harm done, right? This is all too confusing. I've also heard that anxiety can cause acid reflux but acid reflux can cause anxiety, so who knows. Guess this is probably why it wouldn't be a bad idea to talk to my doctor. Not that he is going to be of any help on this.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:01 AM   #4
    TEdds83
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Hi Impatient1, welcome to the club. I am sorry you are suffering. Unfortunately I think all 3 things go hand in hand. Acid reflux. Allergies and anxiety. The 3 A s. They each feed off of each other. I have had all 3 for years. So frustrating. I am seeing the doctor today for a lump in my throat. It came on about 3 weeks ago. I am thinking the worst. Not good huh? Anyhow....for now treat the symptoms. Try to keep your sinus s dry and the reflux under control. I hate being on the meds. But I have to until things heal up and winter comes to kill of my outdoor allergies. Good luck. Here for you anytime!

Old 06-25-2010, 07:29 PM   #5
    Impatient1
    (female)

Impatient1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEdds83 View Post
    Hi Impatient1, welcome to the club. I am sorry you are suffering. Unfortunately I think all 3 things go hand in hand. Acid reflux. Allergies and anxiety. The 3 A s. They each feed off of each other. I have had all 3 for years. So frustrating. I am seeing the doctor today for a lump in my throat. It came on about 3 weeks ago. I am thinking the worst. Not good huh? Anyhow....for now treat the symptoms. Try to keep your sinus s dry and the reflux under control. I hate being on the meds. But I have to until things heal up and winter comes to kill of my outdoor allergies. Good luck. Here for you anytime!
    Hey, thanks for your response. It unfortunately is not a club I want to be a part of. Guess I don't have a choice in the matter though. This is very frustrating and at times I start to think I'm never going to feel well again. Then that causes a lot of anxiety. Sometimes I just can't shake the feeling that something is seriously wrong with me but I'm too scared to go to the doctor to find out. When I start stressing out is when I really have acid reflux symptoms (chest discomfort, burping, upper abdominal discomfort). Other than that, I don't feel it all the time but something is keeping my throat irritated so, I don't know. Today I actually felt, what I think was acid, come up in my throat. I've been debating whether so start taking PPIs again to see if it would help my sinus symptoms. I have been speaking with a counselor and have an appointment with a psychiatrist coming up soon to try to deal with the crazy amount of anxiety I've been experiencing. Hope your doctors appointment went well! What did you find out, if you don't mind me asking? Again, thanks for your response, it was very much appreciated. Have a good day!

Old 06-25-2010, 10:00 PM   #6
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Acid in the mouth tastes nasty. Like nothing else. And a burning at the back of the throat, a hoarseness that comes and goes. That's what it's like.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:00 AM   #7
    TEdds83
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Hi everyone. I am back with my report. I had a CT scan of my neck and upper lungs yesterday. I didn't realize they were gonna give me an IV of iodine that shows contrast. Kind of weird sensation having that go through my body. Anyhow....got the report back yesterday and it shows no sign of any masses. Praise God!! I cried when they told me. I don't know why I am a hypocondriate. Let me tell you the tight throat and lump and cramping in my neck is real1! So it has to be acid reflux playing its destructive thing. I bet I have a sore and inflammation in there. So I will stay on the Prevacid and change my diet. Its sooo frustrating. Just wanted to let you all know.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:32 PM   #8
    purity dee
    (female)

purity dee HB Userpurity dee HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TEdds83 View Post
    Hi everyone. I am back with my report. I had a CT scan of my neck and upper lungs yesterday. I didn't realize they were gonna give me an IV of iodine that shows contrast. Kind of weird sensation having that go through my body. Anyhow....got the report back yesterday and it shows no sign of any masses. Praise God!! I cried when they told me. I don't know why I am a hypocondriate. Let me tell you the tight throat and lump and cramping in my neck is real1! So it has to be acid reflux playing its destructive thing. I bet I have a sore and inflammation in there. So I will stay on the Prevacid and change my diet. Its sooo frustrating. Just wanted to let you all know.
    I am very happy it wasnt anything terrible, wish me luck with my endoscopy!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-20-2010, 11:28 PM   #9
    nydeck
    (male)

nydeck HB User

hey guys! trully misery loves company...

felt so great to find thids thread and so happy that im not alone which decreases my depression and anxiety.

last week i was rush to the ER because my body numb and having a difficulty breathing.they did a lot of stuffs ekg,etc

i was sent home and found nothing just a acid reflux. but i was not convinced, had taken strees test, pulmonary function test, 2d echo test, blood test, barrium xray, xray, ultrasound,etc all seem fine

but the smptoms wont go away( chest pain, shortness of breath, backpain, light headedness etc) its freaking me out like im going crazy

sometimes i feel ok but sometimes i dont.have no energy and so depressed

i hope that there is somene who can help me cure this.

if this is all in my mind maybe i should see a psychiatrist????

thanks

Old 07-27-2010, 08:01 AM   #10
    caring12
    (female)

caring12 HB Usercaring12 HB User

True. my daughter is low verbal due to a disablity had this and i am constanlty playing with the meds. I am actually learning here from othes about some of the other pain that goes with this. antihistmines can actually help with tummy issues one reflux med acts as an antihistmine. reflux can get in the nose and then into the ear canals. into the lungs. see some good dr ent pumo too and then play with the meds and diet to try to get things better.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:05 PM   #11
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Caring12,

Please for heaven's sake tell me which acid reflux med that is! Unless you just mean Zantac, because I don't seem to get much antihistamine mileage out of that one.

Antihistamines actually cause me to have reflux 24/7.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:16 PM   #12
    missjade11
    (female)

missjade11 HB Usermissjade11 HB Usermissjade11 HB User

I'm having a severe sinus headache as I type this, I cant take much for it cause it just gets my reflux going. I use a product called Sinol in my nose that helps but dont have anything to take yet that doesn't upset the reflux and the gastritis.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:05 PM   #13
    purity dee
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nydeck View Post
    hey guys! trully misery loves company...

felt so great to find thids thread and so happy that im not alone which decreases my depression and anxiety.

last week i was rush to the ER because my body numb and having a difficulty breathing.they did a lot of stuffs ekg,etc

i was sent home and found nothing just a acid reflux. but i was not convinced, had taken strees test, pulmonary function test, 2d echo test, blood test, barrium xray, xray, ultrasound,etc all seem fine

but the smptoms wont go away( chest pain, shortness of breath, backpain, light headedness etc) its freaking me out like im going crazy

sometimes i feel ok but sometimes i dont.have no energy and so depressed

i hope that there is somene who can help me cure this.

if this is all in my mind maybe i should see a psychiatrist????

thanks

That almost seems far fetched! Can it truly be our minds, stress, worries causing our symptoms? I refuse to believe it, I know what I am feeling and it comes with anything I eat and stress and frustration certainly egss it on but I cant grasp the idea of it being soley a stress or psychological induced issue

Old 07-27-2010, 01:08 PM   #14
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Purity Dee, most chronic illnesses become worse when you are under stress. Doesn't mean stress is the cause, that's just how it works.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:09 PM   #15
    purity dee
    (female)

YOu are absloutely right Janewhite! All my tests have come back normal, including endoscopy! Makes me feel crazy!!!

Closed Thread