It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

• Ulnar nerve transposition

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-01-2010, 06:44 PM   #31
    JennHaneman
    (female)

JennHaneman HB User
    Re: Ulnar nerve transposition

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Northwest1 View Post
    Just a quick update-arm is healing nicely, I have full range of motion and the strength is getting a lot better this past week. Only thing that still bugs me is where the bone was shaved. Found a Vitamin E creme (30K IU so I guess it's pretty good), using that as a massage medium when I go over the scar bumps.
    I feel I'm doing pretty good for have a 3 in 1 surgery
    Thanks again for all of your ideas, and support!

I cannot believe you have full range of motion already, good for you!!! I had submuscular transposition surgery 6 days ago and I can curl my arm up to my collarbone but not straighten it out. I have very bad tingling in my hand, far worse than before surgery, if I don't hold or lay it above my heart in front of me. I can only hope my recovery will start to sound more like your in the near future.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2010, 08:03 PM   #32
    Northwest1
    (male)

Northwest1 HB User

Today I finished my last physical therapy session, right hand strength has doubled since the operation and it looks like I'll be ready to go back to work next month. The Therapist told me to continue my exercise regimen to continue building up strength until then.
    The area where the surgeon shaved the bone looks a little weird (recessed) when I straighten out the arm but besides that minor point the scar is healing up pretty good. Best thing is no tingling, numbness or constant thumping like I had before the surgery.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:18 AM   #33
    JennHaneman
    (female)

JennHaneman HB User

What type of work do you do Northwest? With as well as it sounds you are doing I would have thought you were back to work. I went back to work this week, two weeks post op. I guess I am one of the lucky ones since I work in an office all day so that is nice for returning to work.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:23 AM   #34
    Northwest1
    (male)

Northwest1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JennHaneman View Post
    What type of work do you do Northwest? With as well as it sounds you are doing I would have thought you were back to work. I went back to work this week, two weeks post op. I guess I am one of the lucky ones since I work in an office all day so that is nice for returning to work.
    Seasonal work-cooking on a vessel at sea. When I got off this last season I had 3 months on land so figured this would be the best time to get the operation-giving me a lot of room if something didn't go right with the procedure.

Edit 6/16-Finally found out exactly what I had done in detail-Right ulnar nerve decompression and anterior transposition, medial epicondylectomy and medial triceps muscle slip excision.

Last edited by Northwest1; 06-16-2010 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Info added to last post

Old 06-18-2010, 07:31 PM   #35
    JennHaneman
    (female)

JennHaneman HB User

Okay that makes more sense why you recovered so fast. I had submuscular transposition so recovery time is longer. Well good luck with the rest of your recovery!

Old 07-09-2010, 08:39 PM   #36
    hacker33
    (female)

hacker33 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anitad123 View Post

Hi all,

I had ulnar nerve transposition on October 27, 2009. I am a little over 3 weeks post op and am still in horrible pain.My surgeon told me that this was a difficult surgery, but I can't believe how long it is taking to heal.

A little history. I had bilateral carpal tunnel surgery in late January. Went back to work for only 3 weeks, and lifted an orthopedic tray and felt a pop. I originally thought the pop was in the wrist. Three days later, I started having numbness in my ring and pinky finger. Long story, which I will try to make shorter, workmans' comp said that the ulnar neuropathy was not related to the injury. Anyway, finally had the surgery, and I must say that the numbness is gone in the fingers, but it is now numb from the elbow down about 6 inches to the wrist. Anyone experience anything like this? And how long will the healing pain continue? I am still having to take pain medication, and am also on Lyrica.
    I had the surgery mar 2010...I have some sensitivity around the scar. What scares me is that the feeling and strenght was coming back and about 2 wks ago it took a turn for the worst...now its getting numb again...Its getting to the point where it was before the surgery...I have trouble gripping things. Anyone have this problem...and now I think the other hand is getting the same way.

Old 07-10-2010, 03:01 PM   #37
    JennHaneman
    (female)

JennHaneman HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hacker33 View Post
    I had the surgery mar 2010...I have some sensitivity around the scar. What scares me is that the feeling and strenght was coming back and about 2 wks ago it took a turn for the worst...now its getting numb again...Its getting to the point where it was before the surgery...I have trouble gripping things. Anyone have this problem...and now I think the other hand is getting the same way.
    Hacker33,

I had submuscular transposition May 26th, 2010. So a little over 6 weeks post op. I too still have sensitivity around the scar. I was lucky and all the feeling came back after a few weeks except one dead spot in my palm which I still have. I was at Occupational Therapy this week and we were working on extension my arm and fingers starting tingling and going numb for the first time since surgery. It definetly is a scary thing to experience as the surgery is in part to correct that. Although rare, my therapist said that can be a sign that the nerve is slipping from where ever they tranposed it to. Again she did say this was very rare, especially for you since you are further out post op. Sometimes going back to therapy and working on sensory can help with reoccuring numbness and tingling. I too am very nervous about the numbness and tingling. I wish you the very best in your on going recovery. I will ask my therapist about it again and see what else she says and let you know as I find more out. I would definetly make an appointment with your orthopedic if you haven't yet. Like you, I have to have the same surgery done on my other arm, however I knew this before having the first one done.

Last edited by JennHaneman; 07-10-2010 at 03:03 PM.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:46 AM   #38
    ConfusedInAL
    (female)

ConfusedInAL HB User

My husband had surgery on his in July of 2009 and Workers Comp said he has 10% total body imparment. His arm still hurts and goes numb everyday. Every case is different and I have been told several times that nerve damage takes a long time to heal. Hope you get better soon

Old 08-18-2010, 01:25 PM   #39
    JennHaneman
    (female)

JennHaneman HB User

Just an update. I stopped going to OT a few weeks ago as my orthopedic thought that might be the cause for the reoccuring numbness and tingling. I am d/c'ing the therapy for one month until I see the surgeon again. I have about 13 degree's of extension and full flexion, so that I am happy with however it sure would be nice to be able to fully straighten my arm again soon. I do understand that nerve pain and growth take a while for improvement, but it can be very frustrating at times. I wish everyone the best of luck in their recovery process!

Closed Thread