It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• How many calories can a gerd/lpr patient take per day?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-10-2010, 04:48 PM   #1
    shourin
    (male)

shourin HB User
    How many calories can a gerd/lpr patient take per day?

Hi All,

I am new to this board, and this seems to be an excellent place to get some advice. Right now, I am in need of one.

I was diagnosed with LPR 3 years back. I used medications (prevacid) for 6 months and after feeling better, I stopped ( after reading all the negative side effects of PPIs).

I wanted to control reflux naturally, and started being very strict on my diet. Since then, in the past 2 years, my symptoms have been pretty much the same..primarily Weak voice (though much better than 3 yrs back), on-and-off difficulty with taking deep breaths, little burping immediately after meals (which is not too uncomfortable and I started to live with it). They have neither aggrevated nor subsided in the past 2 years.

I feel I am controlling it pretty well for the moment, but I lost a lot of my weight. I used to be 130 lbs 3 yrs back, but now I am 115 for a 24 yr old and 5'7" guy. My friends tell that I look extremely thin.

So I decided to gain back some of my weight. I noticed that I have been taking only around 1300-1350 calories before, as my diet used to constitute a lot of fruits which are low calories. I have now increased my calorie intake to 1700 calories per day.

I am very watchful of my diet still. I have completely avoided tea,coffee,soda,beer,alcohol,tomato,raw onion (though I do mix it with other vegetables, stir-fry and then cook it before eating). I am a eggeterian. I limited high-fat and deep fried foods by almost 95%.
    I eat 5 times daily. This is what I am eating more or less in a day now.

whole grain bread (4 slices), cereal, 1% fat milk,1 large banana, 6-7 crackers, 1 honey N oat bar, brown rice with some cooked vegetables (salt and pepper added), 3 egg whites, goat protein powder mixed with water, soy meat balls, 1 full apple and may be 2 litres of water.

I want to know how many calories,a typical Gerd/LPR suferer takes on an average. Am I eating too much?
    I dont want to be under-weight and dont want to use meds either. Is eating 1700 cal/day ok for a gerd/lpr patient? It would be great if people can post how many calories they consume per day..

I am little concerned that this increase in my daily calorie intake (by about 350 cal) might increase the acid reflux. It is very difficult for me to judge as I do not get any heartburn or any pain. I am just the same way as I have been 2 yrs back.

Can any one give me a proper advice on this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Shourin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2010, 03:14 AM   #2
    gcsjr
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
    Re: How many calories can a gerd/lpr patient take per day?

There is no limit (or guideline) to the number of calories someone with LPR should consume.

The number of calories you consume doesn't affect LPR, it's the type of food and size of meals that can be an issue for LPR sufferers (unless they're overweight and their doctor recommends losing weight to help alleviate their LPR symptoms).

As long as you're not having any symptoms you should be able to increase the number of calories you consume without any issue, just keep avoiding trigger foods and eat smaller meals so you're not over-filling your stomach.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:35 AM   #3
    shourin
    (male)

shourin HB User
    Re: How many calories can a gerd/lpr patient take per day?

Thank you. I generally make sure that I do not over eat any single meal. I distribute my 5 meals as- 450,200,400,400,250. I try to avoid trigger foods as much as possible. I also make sure that I take some kind of anti-reflux agents after every meal - like half-apple, fennel seeds, lot of water, ACV, Aloe Vera Capsules, Almonds etc.

Closed Thread