It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Cervical & Ovarian Message Board

• Just found out I have cervical cancer

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-07-2010, 07:12 AM   #1
    marlinblue
    (female)

marlinblue HB User
    Unhappy Just found out I have cervical cancer

Trying to process this all and am scared.

I just had a vaginal hysterectomy and they took my cervix too. There was no sign of cancer. Last two paps were normal. However when my uterus was sent to pathology they found invasive cervical cancer. I just can't believe it. My doctor was floored as well.

It was a choice of three things: do nothing, endometrial ablation, or vaginal hysterectomy. For several months I was having bleeding between periods and some pressure. I went through many tests and everything came back negative. Sonogram showed nothing. I was diagnosed with Mennhoragia and chose to have the hysterectomy as I didn't want the bleeding to get worse. Past two paps were normal, endometrial biopsy negative. This actually caught my doctor by surprise. Even while removing my cervix and uterus he saw nothing unusual.

I'm playing the waiting game now, which I hear is the worst part. I didn't sleep well last night. I'm so frightened. I'm praying that by having my cervix removed that it was simply contained there and it didn't spread.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2010, 09:17 AM   #2
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
    Re: Just found out I have cervical cancer

Hi Marlinblue, I am so sad to hear that you were diagnosed with cancer!

My cancer was diagnosed only because my GP did the HPV/dna test. All of my paps, for the past 25 years had come back normal. I went to an ob/gyn who did a colposcopy which showed no problems. "Just to check" she did an ECC (endocervical curettage. It showed adenocarcinoma in situ. A week later I had a CKC which showed AdCA Ia1. Like you, I was SHOCKED! I had never had any vaginal/pelvic problems (except a few yeast infections when I was younger). My only treatment was a total hyst (uterus and cervix only; I kept my ovaries and tubes). I was blessed that the cancer was found so early. If it had been found at a later stage then chemo and/or radiation would have been needed.

I highly suggest you ask for your pathology reports and your doctor's surgery notes. Those will help you know more about your situation.

How long ago did you have your surgery?

Old 07-07-2010, 09:30 AM   #3
    marlinblue
    (female)

marlinblue HB User

My surgery was last Thursday, July 1st.

I just got my Mayo app't scheduled for this Friday. My doctor was able to better look at the pathology findings this morning (yesterday he had not received them when he told us about the cancer) and he says it looks like it might have been contained within the cervix. The outside of the uterus was clean. But that doesn't mean it hasn't spread so I'm sure I'm looking at laparoscopy next. I'll know more after my appointment on Friday.

I guess what gets me is that you can do all the right things. I advocated for myself. I pushed when I was having unusual symptoms. I've had a couple of abnormal paps in the past but the past two came back normal. Yet this happens anyway. And to think that the new guidelines are telling women that they only need a pap every two years??? I don't think so.

I just hope I survive this. I hope they got it all out during my hysterectomy. My husband is gone more than he is home (although he's putting in for a leave for this and I'm sure they'll grant it). I run a house with three kids (19, 16 and 10). I work full time as a paraprofessional at a local school district, and my youngest has some special needs and is only comfortable with me tending to some of them. I keep telling myself that God would not bless me with this wonderful daughter and her needs if he didn't intend for me to not meet those needs of hers.

Last edited by marlinblue; 07-07-2010 at 09:40 AM.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:04 AM   #4
    kosm
    (female)

kosm HB User

I am so sorry to hear that! You have come to the right place. It seems the next step would be a PET Scan to see if it did spread. Having the pathology reports is very very very helpful!! Did they ever do cervical biopsies? I know you said they did an endometrial biopsy, but did they also do an endocervical curretage or a punch biopsy?

Old 07-07-2010, 12:17 PM   #5
    marlinblue
    (female)

marlinblue HB User

No not for this. I did have a colposcopy in 2006 and that came back normal.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:40 PM   #6
    kosm
    (female)

kosm HB User

Ok, well, at this point, it is a very good thing that everything is out. The good news is that if it really was just contained, it is out and gone. A PET Scan is what is useful to see your entire body and detect any involvement in other organs. You should be getting some type of scan in the very near future. A pelvic MRI with contrast should detect lymph node involvement. I would request this ASAP. That would give you some answers. It is painless and they get the results back quickly. I assume they would be doing other things as well, but I think a scan is very important. I would ask to see the path report as well.
    I would think that if the doc didn't see any abnormalities while removing the cervix that this would be a good thing, but a scan is definitley a good step.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:55 PM   #7
    marlinblue
    (female)

marlinblue HB User

Thank you for your advice. I'm trying to be optimistic that it was all removed. It is possible that that's the case. There is a part of me that thinks just the opposite and I just have to not let myself go to extremes with this. Right now I'm feeling just angry about this. What a life disruption and it seems so unfair. I keep thinking I'll be that 'worst case scenario'. I pray that is not the case however.

I am encouraged that my doctor saw nothing unusual during the surgery. It's so confusing that it's invasive already though; especially given that I've been having regular paps, etc. I am also glad that I chose to have this hysterectomy or who knows how long I would have sat on this!

Old 07-07-2010, 03:14 PM   #8
    kosm
    (female)

kosm HB User

I know it is easier said than done, but don't assume the worst. Thank God you had the hysterectomy. The quicker you can get a scan done the quicker you can get answers. It took them 24 hours to get my scan results. INSIST on a scan. I would think that if it had metastasized, they would have noticed a tumor during the surgery. That is just my opinion though, get the scan done. I will be praying for you! Let us know what happens! Sending lots of prayers your way! **hugs**

Old 07-07-2010, 05:43 PM   #9
    marlinblue
    (female)

marlinblue HB User

I like that you said that and you just helped me calm down a bit. There was no tumor; not even a single sign. He said he saw nothing unusual at all. And it sounds like the pathology results indicate the presence of cancer but not any actual tumors. And that there was nothing on the outer wall of the uterus in encouraging as well since that is the place next in line for it to spread. When I had the sonograms done a few weeks ago my fallopian tubes and ovaries were all normal with no growths or cysts at all. My uterus showed nothing too. I do have to be hopeful. I keep praying to God that they got it all. I did do the right thing and I keep thinking about how if I didn't insist on a pelvic exam in May (I wasn't due for another pap until October this year) my doctor wouldn't have seen the bleeding I was doing, wouldn't have ordered all the tests and sonograms and I wouldn't have been presented with the option to have a hysterectomy. And that I chose to have the hysterectomy couldn't have been a better choice. I had the option of an endometrial ablation - and I did consider it but my gut told me to have the hysterectomy. I am so glad I did.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:18 PM   #10
    kosm
    (female)

kosm HB User

Yes, that is a good sign! I sent you a PM.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:03 PM   #11
    Pickle Eyes
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Do you know what kind of cancer you were diagnosed with?

If it is adenocarcinoma, then atypical glandular cells (where adenocarcinoma "lives") are rarely detected on a pap. An ECC (endocervical curettage) is the only non-surgical way to sample the cells in the cervical canal.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:56 AM   #12
    marlinblue
    (female)

marlinblue HB User

No I don't know what type of cancer it is yet. But it's interesting that it can't be detected by a pap yet I never heard of such a thing before. It's really kind of scary.

Old 07-11-2010, 05:10 PM   #13
    westlaker
    (female)

westlaker HB User

Hi, I agree it is important to find out what type you have. I too had a LAVH on May 28 because of an abnormal Pap (atypical glandular cells). Before that, I had a hysteroscopy, a LEEP, and a cone biopsy, and gyn onc was saying ..this is unusual, but you don't have invasive cancer. My inked margins were clear but pathology post hysterectomy indicated a 5mm mass (can't see that...microscopic) in my lower uterus and hence, invasive. My cancer type is very rare, adenoma malignum, and now since they are not sure how this type may progress, i am scheduled form pelvic radiation (internal and external) plus chemo (cisplatin) for 5 weeks. I am confident about early diagnosis and keep telling myself that I am going to beat this. You will as well!

Closed Thread