It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

• do i have colon cancer?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-14-2010, 12:17 PM   #1
    darkspy00
    (male)

darkspy00 HB User
    do i have colon cancer?

hello guys, my name is archie age 32 and we don't have history of cancer on my family,I've had this chronic or constant dull pain on my lower left rib area for awhile now 6-8 mo.. I've been to many doctor's diagnosed me from ulcer, muscle pain and the last one costochondritis. I've had red maroon color on my stool for long time but when i did an FOBT it turned out negative 5-6 times already in two different hospitals. I wonder how accurate FOBT is.. cause i think i can see mucus and maroon on my stool that's why i took the test 5-6 times don't get me wrong i was relieved every-time i had a negative result i just don't have any explanation for the color of my stool, my CBC also showed up slightly higher hemoglobin.. I'm not losing weight, don't have thin stools, and im not constipated. I've had 1 chest x-ray and it was clear, 2 ultrasound that showed up i have a 4cm aggregate of gallstone but I'm not as worried as what I'm feeling on my left abdominal area. i know i should have a colonoscopy to ease my worries but i just want to know is there's some other way. please can someone help me?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2010, 12:47 PM   #2
    Stabevrian
    (female)

Stabevrian HB User
    Re: do i have colon cancer?

Why don't you have a colonoscopy? I would think you would be anemic if you had colon cancer?

I have a similar situation to you- I am 34 year old female and since Oct I've had an ache in my lower left ribs also. I have had CT Scan, abdom U/S, chest XRAY, and bloodwork. Everything was normal. I've been dx'd with costochondritis also. I have a lumpy/bony mass on one of my ribs too and I find it really weird that it is not showing up on any scan. Do you feel a mass at all?

Do you exercise a lot? I have been told to stop running for 6 mos to see if that helps. I have no clue what is going on with me though! It is very painful.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:11 PM   #3
    darkspy00
    (male)

darkspy00 HB User

hi, thanks for your response to my post, I'm not quite sure but i do feel some lump under my left rib cage not by touching but when i am in a compress position like sitting i tend to get more gas and do feel like there's something there that i can't pin point what it is.. it's a mild discomfort that radiates to my back. I've had FOBT test many times cause i know it's the cheapest test out there that can very well decide if i need a colonoscopy or not. I'm just not financially ready for a colonoscopy right now. i want to hear from people who has substantial amount of knowledge about the accuracy of an FOBT cause the negative result is probably the reason why my doctor is not pushing for a colonoscopy. anohter thing does a costochondritis last this long? 6-8 mo? and based on my research costochondritis mainly occurs in the chest area 1-3 cartilage im not quite sure.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:30 AM   #4
    Stabevrian
    (female)

Stabevrian HB User

I am not familiar with the FOBT and its accuracy, sorry! From my discussions with a few different Dr's I hear that costco can occur in any of the rib areas and last short or long periods. I think it is more common in the area just under the breast and near the middle of the chest, but in some cases it can affect the lower ribs and wrap around the back (like mine). Another thing it might be is floating rib or slipping rib syndrome? Did you check those out at all?

Also, the left side is where your spleen is too. When I first got this pain, I thought it may have been spleen related, but mine wasn't.

Good luck!

Old 07-16-2010, 11:37 PM   #5
    darkspy00
    (male)

darkspy00 HB User

hi, i never heard of floating rib or slipping rib syndrome.. I'll try to research more about it thanks for your info. yeah at some point i thought it was an enlarged spleen but my CBC result was OK, and the doctor said if it was the spleen it can be felt from the outside and my ultrasound didn't show anything wrong with my other organs except my bladder but i never had any attacks so I'm not that worried about it. do you also pass a lot of gas? I'm starting to think it's somehow related to my bowel movement cause i felt relieved after a BM just lately. i get diarrhea once a month and i don't get constipated.. it's really giving me a hard time figuring out what i have cause i don't have a pattern the pain is always there but never severe. thanks for taking time to respond to my post Stabevrian.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:53 AM   #6
    darkspy00
    (male)

darkspy00 HB User

im scheduled for barium anema x-ray tomorrow.. i hope and pray everything will be fine..

Old 07-24-2010, 04:07 PM   #7
    snowmom
    Inactive
    (female)

snowmom HB User

It sounds although your trying to diagnose yourself. I'm an RN and also a stage IV colorectal cancer survivor. You have to have a colonoscopy, that's the only way your going to know for sure if you have colon or colorectal cancer. High or low hemoglobin, neither means definitively that you have cancer, could be ulcer, diverticulosis and other things.

Please get a scope, it's easier than you think (the prep is the worse) and then you'll know for sure.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:00 AM   #8
    caring12
    (female)

caring12 HB Usercaring12 HB User

I have a hiinged rib. when i am very active or eat to much it bugs me more.
    As for the colon marron color is not a good sign. go get a test asap. bright red blood is ok the maroon type i have seen in my mom who had gi cancers. have them check your pancrease. pls....

Old 07-31-2010, 05:39 AM   #9
    darkspy00
    (male)

darkspy00 HB User

hello, caring and snowmom.. thanks for your advise i hope you two are doing fine, i had a barium enema x-ray, it was as i imagined it to be, not painful but embarrassing and uncomfortable. it was worth it though cause my result came negative and everything was fine. the anticipation and waiting for the result was also hard, i really thought i would be getting bad news i was surprise and re-leaved when i got the result but still worried cause i still have these symptoms.. i asked my doctor about the accuracy of the fobt test and he said its pretty accurate cause i detects microscopic blood but i still can see maroon color and mucus on my stool despite 6 negative fobt tests.. he said it's possibly caused by my gallstone. @Caring, about the pancreas none of my doctors even mentioned that it could be related to it but im certainly researching more about it because of what you said, my pain is in my upper left abdomen below the rib cage, i had 2 ultrasound and 1 chest x-ray already, what kind of est detects pancreatic problems? @Snowmom, can a colon cancer that has metastases be detected by a barium enema x-ray? again thanks for your time guys, it's nice to know someone out there cares. sorry for my english

Old 07-31-2010, 06:32 AM   #10
    LESLIETOO
    (female)

LESLIETOO HB UserLESLIETOO HB User

Archie

Could your diet be affecting the color of your stool? Foods like beets and red peppers can make the stool appear to have blood in it.

The problem with the FOBT is that if you have polyps or a lesion, it doesn't mean it will bleed every day. They can bleed intermittently, every few days, or once in a while. Thus, if you take the FOBT on a day when there has been no bleeding you will get a negative result and that doesn not mean that nothing is going on in your intestinal tract. Also, the barium enema can miss up to 50% of polyps. One year when my colonscopy could not be completed due to adhesions, I was advised to have a barium enema study to visualize up to the ileocecal junction. I researched it and did not like the high miss rate of a barium enema x-ray study, so instead a few months later I had a repeat colonoscopy at a major cancer center using a pediatric scope and the gastro MD was able to visualize everything that he needed to see.

If you are still symptomatic, it would probably be a good idea to have a consult at a major teaching hospital or cancer center. A review of your history, previous tests and current symptoms by a fresh set of eyes might help reveal the cause of your problem.

Keep seeking until you are satisfied with the answers.

Leslie

Old 07-31-2010, 10:24 AM   #11
    darkspy00
    (male)

darkspy00 HB User

@LESLIETOOL hi thanks for your post it really means a lot.. about my stool I'm pretty sure that I've collected the part that is maroon on it and i don't think it's my diet cause its been that way every bm although my cbc showed that I'm not anemic.. i also feel it more when i lean forward or if I'm in a compressed position. i don't have constipation but i have softer stools and mucus, not loosing weight, not vomiting, the pain is never severe but constant just varying on the intensity. here's the result of my x-ray.

BARIUM ENEMA:

scout film of the abdomen shows unremarkable bowel gas pattern. no abnormal soft tissue shadows demonstrated. the visualized osseous structures are remarkable.

contrast study: retrograde introduction of barium solution shows unobstructed flow of the contrast medium from the rectum to he cecum with reflux into the terminal ileum. no extrinsic lesions, intrinsic filling defects, abnormal mucosal outpouching, dilatation and stenosis noted. haustral pattern is normal. double contrast study shows smooth mucosal outlines.

post-evacuation radio-graph is remarkable

IMPRESSION: radio-graphically normal barium study of the colon

I'm going to the doctor for more test... I'll keep you posted guys.. thanks for your response..

Old 08-19-2010, 04:44 PM   #12
    Stabevrian
    (female)

Stabevrian HB User

I had an appt with a rheumatologist after I last responded to this post. She gave me some blood tests for some obscure things and celiac came back positive. I am shocked! I have been told costochondritis countless times.

I have been doing a lot of research and a lot of people that have that have that pain in the left upper abdomen. I think blood/mucous in the stool is a symptom too. Maybe you could request a test for that? It is a blood test then they give you an endoscopy to confirm.

Oh, and if you don't want to go to the Dr- try the gluten free diet and see if that helps. If it does, then celiac might be your issue too.

Oh- one more thing- do autoimmune diseases run in your family? They run in mine- my dad has MS and thyroid issues and his mom has RA.

Last edited by Stabevrian; 08-19-2010 at 04:49 PM.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:12 PM   #13
    ashallen03
    (female)

ashallen03 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stabevrian View Post
    Why don't you have a colonoscopy? I would think you would be anemic if you had colon cancer?

I have a similar situation to you- I am 34 year old female and since Oct I've had an ache in my lower left ribs also. I have had CT Scan, abdom U/S, chest XRAY, and bloodwork. Everything was normal. I've been dx'd with costochondritis also. I have a lumpy/bony mass on one of my ribs too and I find it really weird that it is not showing up on any scan. Do you feel a mass at all?

Do you exercise a lot? I have been told to stop running for 6 mos to see if that helps. I have no clue what is going on with me though! It is very painful.

Do most people with Colon Cancer also have anemia?

Closed Thread