It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Will Suboxone help?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-22-2010, 06:27 PM   #1
    Cowpin8
    (male)

Cowpin8 HB User
    Question Will Suboxone help?

Is switching from Percocet to Suboxone just simply trading one drug addiction for another? Please let me hear some answers as I am addicted to Percocets. I only take aout 6 to 8 a day but I cannot stop on my own. Please help.
    Thank You!!!

Last edited by mod-anon; 07-22-2010 at 11:43 PM. Reason: starting a new thread with this post.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2010, 06:14 AM   #2
    emsmom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

emsmom HB User
    Re: Will Suboxone help?

Hey Cowpin,

Welcome Suboxone is a drug, mostly used for dependency to opiates and heroin. I was addicted to Percocet and Oxycontin for four years and eventually started Suboxone therapy. It changed my life in the following ways...

I no longer had to "find" pills.
    I did not suffer and withdrawal at all.
    I became myself again, 100% the same as before I took that first Percocet.
    I no longer rely on pills to function.
    I do not crave opiates - I don't think of them at all.

I have been clean for over a year and a half now, thanks to Suboxone. Some people will argue that a person is not clean if they are on Suboxone, however it's a personal opinion. I am clean and I am very proud to be clean. Without Suboxone, I can guarantee that I'd still be using. Hands down. I was the type to relapse whenever "anything" negative happened in my life. I just could not stop taking them. My days were consumed with "Do I have enough?, Gotta make that call and find some pills., Where will I get money today?, What am I gonna do tomorrow?" etc.

How long have you been abusing percocet? It doesn't matter if you use 6-8 pills a day, or 100 pills a day. The choice to start Suboxone depends on your lifestyle and your addiction to the pills.

Making the decision to start Sub is a very delicate one. It is not a drug for just anyone. You'll have to find a Sub doctor, be completely honest about your addiction (if not, then you can't base everything on fact and that's not a good way to start your recovery), then collectively, you and the doctor can set out a plan for you. Now whether that means starting Sub or tapering off percocet, will depend on you and the doctor.

Just keep in mind that everyone is different. Suboxone was the right choice for me, however it may not be for you. I've read posts from people where Sub worked well for them, and also from people who genuinely regret ever starting Suboxone therapy. Again, everyone is different.

Keep in touch, and I wish you lots of luck.

Regards,
    emsmom

Old 07-23-2010, 07:40 AM   #3
    neverever123
    (female)

neverever123 HB User

Yes you are basically trading one drug for another. I have been on suboxone for a year when I really should have been on it for a couple months. It did help me through my addiction to oxycodone, but you do become just as addicted to this. I couldn't do anything until I had my suboxone for the day. Now after a year I'm getting off them. They don't tell you when you go in to get suboxone that you will be going through almost a month long withdrawal period. Now everyone is different and if you taper right it's not so awful. Now I'm on day 6 without suboxone and it isn't bad, I just don't want to feel like this for the next 2 weeks. Right now I wish I had done my research on suboxone and other ways to get off pills. If you can gett off them without this, like with clonidine, then you should try it. And then make sure you go to group therapy or NA to keep you from relapsing! Clonidine is a blood pressure medicine that I take at night to keep me from getting the sweats, chills, and RLS. It has been sucessfully used in detoxes to get people off pills. Suboxone did give me time to gett away from pills and stop craving them. But right now Im craving suboxone because I don't feel good. I just wanted to let you know what good and bad it has done for me. If you feel like even if you get through withdrawal that you will relapse, then yes maybe you should try it. But if you're like me who just needed to get through opiate withdrawal then please try another way! Good luckk. I know how you feel!

Last edited by neverever123; 07-23-2010 at 07:41 AM.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:27 AM   #4
    emsmom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

emsmom HB User

Cowpin and Neverever,

I'm glad neverever replied with her experience. That's exactly the point I was trying to - everyone is different.

I'd like to add that I didn't take my Suboxone for two days (forgot it at the cottage) and didn't have any withdrawal whatsoever. Again, everyone is different.

Also, I can take it at any time of the day. It doesn't affect me at all. I don't feel high from it, nor do I watch the clock to see if it's time to take it. I am 100% the girl I was before I started abusing percocet. Again, everyone is different.

Neverever - please don't think I am trying to undermine your reply. Not at all. I just want to show that it worked for me.

I hope you both have a wonderful weekend. Cowpin, keep in touch as to what you decidce to do. I'd be happy to help in any way I can.

Sincerely,
    emsmom

Old 08-09-2010, 08:05 AM   #5
    IainDonald
    (male)

IainDonald HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cowpin8 View Post
    Is switching from Percocet to Suboxone just simply trading one drug addiction for another? Please let me hear some answers as I am addicted to Percocets. I only take aout 6 to 8 a day but I cannot stop on my own. Please help.
    Thank You!!!
    Heh there Cowpin8 my name is Iain i live in Glasgow Scotland i was offered suboxone to wean me off my herion habit i was also offered methadone and chose that so am not sure if i can be any help atoll maybe you could try it, by the sounds of it what you are doing just now does`nt seem to be working for you, i would keep changing untill you find something that your happy with and that more importantly helps. I was lucky methadone worked for me i`ve been substance free for 2 months now and counting, but what works for one person does`nt always work for another.
    Am not entirely sure what Percocets are but whatever they are sounds like your at your wits end. Sound like a change may be good, at the end of the day it`s a decision only one person can make not any doctor, treatment worker, family or friend, cause only one person really knows how you feel, and to state the obvious that person is you my friend.
    I wish you luck in whatever you decide, your never alone.

Old 11-21-2010, 12:33 AM   #6
    halfwaythere99
    (female)

halfwaythere99 HB User

i don't personally know about percocet addiction, it doesn't sound like you take that many..I take suboxone for heroin addiction and it works for me. it is somewhat of a miracle drug for us dope addicts. good luck.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:04 AM   #7
    Myosin10
    (male)

Myosin10 HB User

You are switching from one drug to another. You will eventually crave suboxone if you do not come off of it fast! i made the mistake of getting on suboxone and listening to the Dr. prescribing it. He says you can stay on for as long as you want until you are ready to come off! Ya as he charges 300 a visit and 300 for the prescription each month. I had a bad norco habit, I was taking 5 at a time every few hours. Then switched to OC and I was at 4 80's ED when I switched to Sub. Now If I would have done my research I would have switched to sub and only stayed on a month or 2 max! i would have looked into tapering off using the liquid suboxone method because breaking a 8mg pill into 1/8 for 1mg is hard and 1/16 is impossible! You need to taper off this stuff about 25% every 4 days because it will stay in your system for 3 days. that is why a lot of people dont have withdrawls 2 days after but they will about 3-4 days after! I couldnt go 1 day without cravng suboxone, I started calling my guy that had OC to see if he had suboxone! The point being do your research before getting on it and taper off as fast as possible!

Closed Thread