It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Asthma Message Board

• Need advice re: asthma meds other than Advair (sick of hoarseness)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-04-2010, 05:23 AM   #16
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
    Re: Need advice re: asthma meds other than Advair (sick of hoarseness)

OK, been on the Asmanex for almost a week, (I was actually off all meds for a week and a half after side effects became completely intolerable) but now it's making me hoarse again.

I think if I'm only on 200 mcg per day of steroid, hoarseness doesn't happen to me, but that dosage isn't quite enough. Still, maybe the increase in asthma symptoms is worth it to have my voice work. I lecture 20 hours per week, my voice is my greatest tool, I CANNOT be losing it all the time.

I just want one medicine that helps my allergies without side effects so severe I wonder if it's worth taking. It should not be too much to ask, and that goes for you too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2010, 08:54 AM   #17
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Well, it shouldn't be but reality is otherwise, it seems. Have you tried singulair along with the lower dosage? Just thinking....

Old 08-04-2010, 04:23 PM   #18
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Singulair is something I've been considering. Might also cause stomach problems, but it's worth a try.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:47 PM   #19
    blahmoo
    (female)

blahmoo HB User

Well, finally got in to see my pulm.

The Flovent was fine for my hoarseness at a low dosage, but then my asthma flared. Now I'm on a higher dose of Flovent and the asthma is ok, but the voice sucks.

soo...he is going to try me on Qvar. I'm not really familiar with that one, but what the heck. I'll give it a try.

I dearly wish Azmacort were still on the market--I did fine with that for both asthma and voice.

Off to do a board search for Qvar.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:52 PM   #20
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thought the asthma was going to be better for a while, then I discovered I suddenly have fall allergies too, so dropping the dosage on my steroid is SO not happening.

The past few days I've been really concentrating on my rinsing technique. First I rinse the easily accessible parts of my mouth and spit. Then I get more water, and rinse again with my head tilted back, making sure I get as far back in my throat as possible. I think it may be helping.

Of course, the Asmanex wasn't working against the latest flare, and my meds just got switched again, this time to Symbicort HFA, so we'll see what happens next.

Last edited by janewhite1; 08-25-2010 at 07:55 PM. Reason: add detail

Old 08-25-2010, 07:54 PM   #21
    blahmoo
    (female)

blahmoo HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
    The past few days I've been really concentrating on my rinsing technique. First I rinse the easily accessible parts of my mouth and spit. Then I get more water, and rinse again with my head tilted back, making sure I get as far back in my throat as possible. I think it may be helping.

Of course, my meds just got switched again, so we'll see what happens next.
    Jane, what are you taking now? Have you noticed any improvement in your voice?

I start teaching in 2 weeks, so I have to get my voice back (or on the road to back).

Old 08-25-2010, 08:04 PM   #22
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Yup, me too, teaching in 2 weeks. Need both a voice and some air to put behind it!

I'm on Symbicort now. Don't know how that's going to work out, given that Advair seriously messed with my stomach, and Symbicort also contains a LABA.

I just started it today.

Last edited by janewhite1; 08-25-2010 at 08:04 PM.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:07 PM   #23
    blahmoo
    (female)

blahmoo HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
    Yup, me too, teaching in 2 weeks. Need both a voice and some air to put behind it!

I'm on Symbicort now. Don't know how that's going to work out, given that Advair seriously messed with my stomach, and Symbicort also contains a LABA.

I just started it today.
    Well, good luck to you. I start Qvar tomorrow (need to get it filled). Hopefully we will both find a solution...and soon! *sigh*

Closed Thread