It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hearing Disorders Message Board

• New Stapedectomy Report

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-21-2010, 11:16 PM   #91
    zotosclerosis
    (male)

zotosclerosis HB User
    Re: New Stapedectomy Report

Week 5 (tomorrow): I have my 1 month appointment this Friday to see progress. So, what have I experienced so far? MUCH!!!

Hearing: It's MUCH better! In fact, it's better than my unoperated ear in most respects. The cell phone volume is too loud on that side, I can hear WAY too many creaking floor boards now (old house), and in general an amazing "liberation" of sounds that have been lost over time regained - wow! It's not all sounds though - as higher pitched one's are still muted, but low is great - so still some "tunnel" effect with sounds being deeper in tone of the same sound as the other ear. I still have sensitive contact-hearing when touching lobe.

Issues up to now: EAR ITCHES!!! sucks - not like I can jab a swab in there and swipe in clean or anything - can't wait for him to check it out Friday and hopefully scratch a (seemingly) month-long itch! Tinnitus still there. No thumping - way gone. No pressure - that was horrible! Hearing seems to go in/out with bending over or when pressing (scratching) behind ear lobe. As if a piece of stuffing is loose in there and clogs it from time to time - strange. But when it's muted, it's a tad unnerving because you're starting to get used to the new hearing and then it's gone again (usually when you need to be social).

Activities: No lifting 10pound-rule... yeah - I broke that long ago. I have a 2yr old daughter - can't keep me from lifting her. I used to lift weights so know to breathe and lift with arms/legs without stiffing the neck. If you need to practice before surgery - do it and get used to it - it'll make your life easier as most things are greater than 10 pounds. I'll be curious to see what I can/cannot do based on this Friday's meeting. One thing that you should not do is have your child sit/stand on your belly while laying down - you cannot control that and does put pressure on the drum. Sometimes I forget and I definitely feel it! What's the max I lifted since then? Not sure, probably carried 40lbs in groceries up the steps (many cans). Grip is no issue - just when you pull / lift or do something with the weight is when you have to be conscious of it.

I thought I had a small ear infection about a week ago when I felt slight pressure in there and when putting finger in ear (comparing two sides), it felt tighter in the operated ear. Also popping in/out even with just a tilt of head back. Ran into my doc on the street (couldn't have timed that chance encounter better) and he said just use more drops - worked.

Anything else - advice? Probably repeating from other posts but:
    no worries about sneezing - just don't plug your nose.
    Showered since day one - just covered my ear with a piece of plastic and with rubber band around ear to hold it.
    I miss running - will ask when I can start things like that... In the beginning, watch foods that require inadvertent sucking (popscicle, frozen drinks (margarita), etc). Don't put year head (ear) on leather (even 1 month in)... it's a suction cup - ouch!

Oh, almost forgot! Very weird! Numb part of foot! You know how your taste is off on one side of your tongue (still off/numb by the way), well the same side of my foot is numb in the middle... Only noticed it a few weeks in and remains to this day. I know the ear and foot are interconnected so I'm not surprised, but check it out in case you have it as well. You won't notice unless you look for it since you don't step on this part (also because it's numb) - it's the outside middle. Strange and is one of the only things I don't remember seeing on the message boards.

Oh, I'll post insurance costs as well - as many would be curious, I'm sure. Would be fun to compare to others... To date, my insurance billed $41K - of which $5600 was paid (negotiated rate) by the insurance - of which I paid $170 in copays, etc... The operation itself was billed at $33K but negotiated rate was $2600. Yes, it's a scam. Our healthcare system is seriously whacked!

Happy recovery everyone - the sounds I'm hearing are amazing already!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2010, 09:38 PM   #92
    zotosclerosis
    (male)

zotosclerosis HB User

month-check-up details:
    Not much to add. He took out some more padding (FELT SO NICE to get rid of that!) and talked to me about current state. He sucked out bits and stuff and shoved some powder in it. Need to use some drops for a while as well. He said it's 75% healed. The sucking was VERY loud and painful at times but good to get the gunk out considering I can't touch it!

No water allowed in ear yet
    I can run and do manual labor (aka lift)

He wrapped it up with a tuning fork test (head versus ear) and was WAY (almost painfully) loud via ear!

Strangely (though not), when he put the fork on the right side of my head (operated ear side), I heard it louder on the left side (un-operated ear). Not strange as that ear is bad as well so conductive is more prominent there.

No sound test - but not required as it's obviously better! Would just be curious to see the numbers.

Still tinnitus but the sounds of creaking floors are spectacular! Hearing the TV alongside others is phenomenal! Not stereo (as it's louder in the operated ear but without full spectrum of low's and high's to match "good" ear) but I can hear!!!

Will be back in a month...

Take care everyone - it's a process with wonderful benefits!!!

Old 06-27-2010, 06:27 AM   #93
    Iwanttohear
    (female)

Iwanttohear HB User

Is there anyone who can recommend a doctor in Switzerland, Basel
    Thanks ın advance
    Cheers
    Bilgen

Old 06-27-2010, 09:30 PM   #94
    lcwong
    (female)

lcwong HB User

Glad that your hearing is improving.

Last edited by lcwong; 06-27-2010 at 09:45 PM.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:34 PM   #95
    lcwong
    (female)

lcwong HB User

I have my stapedectomy done on my left ear 23rd March 2010 . The first two days after operation I can hear sound very clear and loud. Then I have vertigo and lasted 3 days. Since then my hearing deteriorated. I cannot hear when people talk at normal pitch. 3 months already after my operation but my hearing is not improving. I think my hearing improve 20% after my operation. In fact my unoperated ear is not very good too. Has anybody experience after 3 months operation and not improving?

Old 06-27-2010, 10:42 PM   #96
    zotosclerosis
    (male)

zotosclerosis HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lcwong View Post
    I have my stapedectomy done on my left ear 23rd March 2010 . The first two days after operation I can hear sound very clear and loud. Then I have vertigo and lasted 3 days. Since then my hearing deteriorated. I cannot hear when people talk at normal pitch. 3 months already after my operation but my hearing is not improving. I think my hearing improve 20% after my operation. In fact my unoperated ear is not very good too. Has anybody experience after 3 months operation and not improving?
    Sorry to "hear" about the 3 months and no success of any sort. Do you recall anything that may have happened after the 2 weeks? The metal is attached via tissue from another part of the inner ear and if it got loose from a brief incident...

Also, do you smoke? Drink excessively? Etc? May have an affect in the adherence of the tissue to heal fast enough, etc. My doc told me that he's had people with "issues" who did not heed the need to follow all directions for this procedure to be fully effective. I have no idea if he was just covering for himself but why would he tell me that since I obviously am recovering "according to plan?" Not sure. He said out of the 1000s he's treated, there are a few with unexpected results. With only a few cases, I suppose it's difficult to draw up conclusions that there are patterns to look for.

I still am petrified that an inadvertent kick on the ear by my 2 year old playing may cause the drum to burst due to its only partial healing.

I hope that you can get a resolve soon - at least an answer! Can you get a scan done to see if it's loose? A second opinion? If I recall, 3 months is full recovery-time. My doc says he won't touch the other ear until 6 months post-op to make sure all is good. Do you have excessive conductive hearing?

Old 06-27-2010, 10:44 PM   #97
    zotosclerosis
    (male)

zotosclerosis HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Iwanttohear View Post
    Is there anyone who can recommend a doctor in Switzerland, Basel
    Thanks ın advance
    Cheers
    Bilgen
    I lived in Basel for a year Right on the German border (literally) - gorgeous place! Can't help you with a doctor, though - sorry. I know that they've been doing these procedures since the 50's so see if you can find one who has a LOT under their belt - ask all the questions!

Old 07-08-2010, 10:56 PM   #98
    Todmcb
    (female)

Todmcb HB User

Day 10 post stapedectomy. The dizziness is still present and was quite bad early on, but I am beginning to drive again. It seems like it is getting a little bit better every day. I am hopeful to resume my exercise routines next week. I am an avid yoga practitioner and I'm hoping to do a beginning class next week. Anyone have experience with yoga post surgery? My ear is still pretty packed with stuff but my doc said 12 days to two weeks before beginning exercise routines again. Another appointment in a week and a half which will include a hearing test. Glad to have found this link. I read it constantly during the bad times of dizziness post op and it kept me hanging on!

Old 07-23-2010, 10:12 AM   #99
    daustin97222
    (male)

daustin97222 HB User

Hello,

Here is my story. I am 55, and about age 20 I noticed that my hearing was declining in my left ear, accompanied by increasing tinnitus or ringing. I was diagnosed in 1984 as having otosclerosis of that ear, but I just lived with it and heard folks out of the right ear. Then I slowly watched my RIGHT ear hearing go away about 7-10 years ago, and like others I a) started to withdraw from social contacts b) preferred Close Captioning c) stopped watching television almost completely. I made excuses and jokes about it, but just put up with it. I could still hear over the phone, so I could do most of my job.

Recently, I decided to explore the issue further. I started saving in my Health Care account years ago just in case, so I had the money. I went through a battery of tests and yes: otosclerosis. Both ears, but the right ear also had conductive hearing loss due to nerve damage.

Abbreviating a bit, I decided to do the stapedectomy on the left ear. Surgery date was 7/13/10. In the surgery center by 11:30, into OR by 12:30 and out until 2:50 when I awakened back in pre-op. IMMEDIATELY, I could hear out of that ear!! Everything was so LOUD. Like some, the packing fell out of my ear after about five days. After three days or so, I had BPPV (vertigo) really bad, but in spells that would come and go. I tried Epley's Maneuver on myself, and it helped a lot. After a week, no more vertigo.

Like others, my hearing has deteriorated since the surgery. I find that I hear MUCH better (even a whisper) in my left ear, but my intelligibility has dropped off of a cliff. Everything sounds like a tin can with a rock rattling inside. I liken it to a subwoofer with loose screws in the baffle. I can't understand the car radio any more, but it is loud at MUCH lower volumes.

As of today, this is Day 11. I have no vertigo issues, and I am hopeful that my hearing and understanding will improve over time. My doctor/surgeon David F. Wilson is the best ever, and I think that these types of doctors are God's Angels for us all. At the follow-up meeting, I was told that my footplate was completely encased in calcium and that it was a surgery that would have been high risk or impossible before the laser. I was also told that the "tin can" and intelligibility issues are all very normal and that healing comes with time (months).

I encourage all to consider the surgery where you are a good candidate. I have no pain or vertigo today, and I can hear things that I have never heard before (such as squeaky floorboards in one of my rentals )

-Doug

Old 07-23-2010, 10:34 AM   #100
    Todmcb
    (female)

Todmcb HB User

Glad to hear about your success! I am now at 3 and 1/2 weeks post surgery. The doc says my eardrum has healed completely and my dizziness is nearly completely gone. She went ahead and tested my hearing in my formerly going deaf ear and it is now nearly normal (with more healing to happen). I feel a bit like a walking miracle and it is so nice to be able to hear again in both ears. Encouragement sent to those who need it. I felt like things would never improve at certain points in my recovery but now I'm officially healed.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:33 PM   #101
    zotosclerosis
    (male)

zotosclerosis HB User

I feel like a frequent flyer around here in all my posts - hope they help. I'm pretty much exactly 2 months into it and in one word: phenomenal. I have another followup on the 9th to see progress but I can tell you now - the fact I don't have to ask people to repeat, I can listen to the TV with my wife at normal decibels, I can hear the smallest of normal sounds (floorboards creaking), I can hear the cat's purr for the first time in a VERY long time, others can hear me now because I now hear my own true volume, and MANY other things - is an indication that it'll be a good and quick visit.

Any issues at the 2 mo. mark?

The taste-buds on my tongue (on the side of the operation) is still affected but getting very slowly better. The numbness on my foot (same side) is going away slowly. I still have tinnitus - especially after a movie feature or something but NOTHING compared to what it was before. I'm still technically not allowed to have water enter into it but I haven't covered it with showers - I just carefully wash hair around it.

Everything else is perfect - I blow my nose normally (albeit slowly) with no issues whatsoever, etc...

So, like people keep re-iterating, don't wait! Get it done! Per the literature, don't let the calcium build-up affect your hearing permanently while it can all be put back to normal! Although I can live with this fine - I can't wait until I get my other ear done to get myself 100% on both. I'm now just curious about the numbers - will find out soon!

Cheers!

Old 08-04-2010, 11:19 AM   #102
    Iwanttohear
    (female)

Iwanttohear HB User

My Stapedectomy ReCOVERY Report

Hello dear Otosclerosis sufferers. I am 33 female and I was having hearing lost for the last 6 years. But recently it went worse and I started to miss a lot of daily conversations and meetings started to be like nightmares and I started to get really upset with people who have quite voice(though I am one of them) and finally decided to have the operation and actually had it the day before yesterday on 2nd of August 2010.
    I currently live In Basel Switzerland and am originally from Istanbul Turkey. So when I decided to have the operation I was a bit hesitant to have it here or at home but due to flying restrictions I decided to have it here in Basel where I work and live and I beleıve I found the correct doctor for thıs very spesıfıc operatıon.
    Anyways I can not say anything about hearing improvement yet too early for that but the operation was ok. afterwards I had very little pain almost none. Just slight dizzyness and sick feeling but they are really very light.
    My ear is still full off cotton etc and all closed so I can not judge any hearing improvement but I can say the operation goes very straightforward in good hands. and afterwards it is not painful at all. Just you have to rest a little bit.
    I didnt feel any numbness in my leg or none significant taste loss on my tongue. It feels a bit like you had some teeth problems and your tongue is effected a bit but I must tell it is not severe.
    So - I am very excited about hearing improvement and will keep u posted
    Good luck to everyone
    B.S

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zotosclerosis View Post
    I feel like a frequent flyer around here in all my posts - hope they help. I'm pretty much exactly 2 months into it and in one word: phenomenal. I have another followup on the 9th to see progress but I can tell you now - the fact I don't have to ask people to repeat, I can listen to the TV with my wife at normal decibels, I can hear the smallest of normal sounds (floorboards creaking), I can hear the cat's purr for the first time in a VERY long time, others can hear me now because I now hear my own true volume, and MANY other things - is an indication that it'll be a good and quick visit.

Any issues at the 2 mo. mark?

The taste-buds on my tongue (on the side of the operation) is still affected but getting very slowly better. The numbness on my foot (same side) is going away slowly. I still have tinnitus - especially after a movie feature or something but NOTHING compared to what it was before. I'm still technically not allowed to have water enter into it but I haven't covered it with showers - I just carefully wash hair around it.

Everything else is perfect - I blow my nose normally (albeit slowly) with no issues whatsoever, etc...

So, like people keep re-iterating, don't wait! Get it done! Per the literature, don't let the calcium build-up affect your hearing permanently while it can all be put back to normal! Although I can live with this fine - I can't wait until I get my other ear done to get myself 100% on both. I'm now just curious about the numbers - will find out soon!

Cheers!

Closed Thread