It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• Starbursts: How long do they take to fade, if at all?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-26-2010, 09:10 PM   #16
    Zak833
    (male)

Zak833 HB User
    Re: Starbursts: How long do they take to fade, if at all?

Hi Kelbelz... Any more improvement you could mention?? I'm 4 weeks out with very little improvement at all in my halos/starbursts, but really hoping that there will be some to come Any elaboration on your experience would really be appreciated...

Thanks,

Zak

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2010, 09:12 PM   #17
    Zak833
    (male)

Zak833 HB User

Hi chiliansh,

Just wanted to know if there was any more improvement to your night vision... I'm only 4 weeks out, but it's currently awful. Did it really just happen as quickly as you described? The starbursts and halos got that much better? Just looking for some hope

Thanks for posting.

Old 03-27-2010, 06:36 AM   #18
    landar
    (male)

landar HB User

My starbursts/halos diminished after about 6 months. However, one year post op, I still have them at a reduced level. I notice it with on-coming headlights, streetlights, etc.

Mine will never go away completely. Just have to learn to live with it.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:06 AM   #19
    chliansh
    (male)

chliansh HB User

Hey Zak,
    How is your vision otherwise? Did they over or undercorrect, left over astigmatism?

I think I noticed my night vision looking good after getting thru the summer months while not driving much at night. It just seemed like in the fall when it started to get dark quicker and I did more night driving it was much better then it was before.

Old 03-28-2010, 01:35 AM   #20
    Zak833
    (male)

Zak833 HB User

Thanks for the input, guys - I really appreciate it. I'm only a month post-op, but there has been no improvement whatsoever, so I'm just starting to worry whether there will ever be any at all (while at the same time trying to learn to "live with it").

Chiliansh, my overall (i.e. Day time) vision is fantastic - no problems at all. It's just at night, where I have decreased contrast sensitivity and severe starbursts and halos. So it's very encouraging to hear from people for whom those reduced - even if not tremendously - as far as 6 months out... It's strange, because I went to another Dr. for a second opinion, and he said that my pupil size at low light was definitely within the ablation zone, so it must be caused by something else (I have astigmatism, but quite mild, so I don't think it's that).

My general feeling on the topic is that it is very unlikely that we will have to put up with the poor night vision "for life." Just 20 years ago it probably would have been inconceivable to most of us that we might one day have near-perfect vision (at least in the day time!) without the use of glasses or contacts. That being said, I find it highly unlikely that a "cure" of some sort for this kind of problem - one that presents less of a hassle than RGP lenses and such - will not present itself in the within the next decade or so. Ten years may seem like long time to wait, but we all knew the risks going in! And it's kind of thing that if I can learn to ignore (as hard as it is to do so just now...), then I can't see it impairing my overall quality of life too much. As Hamlet once said (!!), "Nothing is either good or bad but thinking makes it so."

Thanks again for your feedback. I would encourage anyone else reading this who has a positive story to tell to go ahead and do so, as there aren't very many that have been posted...!

Old 03-28-2010, 06:16 AM   #21
    chliansh
    (male)

chliansh HB User

I am 3 months post op on my enhancement surgery and night driving is pretty good but starburst were never as bad as they were from the orginal surgery. I still think the laser used to cut the flap causes the lost contrst senistivity as it was not as noticeable after the enhancement.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:26 AM   #22
    chliansh
    (male)

chliansh HB User

Zak. Just read your post again and still think you will be suprised at some point with how the starbursts will improve. I can remember even 3 months after my first surgery how bad it was, I was always scared at what could hide behind the starburst of oncoming cars. My life had got pretty busy with other things so I kind of forgot about my lasik problems until about 6-7 months when it seemed tollerable. After another 3 months I was quite happy with night vision but then I needed my enhancement so the healing process started over.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:36 AM   #23
    Zak833
    (male)

Zak833 HB User

Thanks again, chiliansh. Very encouraging to read something like that when there are hardly any positive posts about it on the net... Just one bad story after another.

I'll check in in a few months and let you know how I got on!

Zak

Old 04-02-2010, 06:19 AM   #24
    chliansh
    (male)

chliansh HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zak833 View Post
    Thanks again, chiliansh. Very encouraging to read something like that when there are hardly any positive posts about it on the net... Just one bad story after another.

Zak
    I know what you mean about bad stories, if I would have read all the bad info before I had my surgery I would have never had it done. I am now 15 months out from my original surgery and 3 months out on my enhancement, only recently could I say I would do it -all- over given the opportunity.

Its crazy to think about the time I have invested in doctor visits alone, I know I have made 30+ trips and lost 40 hours in waiting rooms.

Old 04-09-2010, 02:10 PM   #25
    ma098568
    (male)

ma098568 HB User

chilanish,

do you think to a certain extent you've just gotten used to it or do you think that the starbursts have, in actuality, gotten smaller or diminished in size?

Old 08-07-2010, 12:30 PM   #26
    Lasik2010
    (male)

Lasik2010 HB User

Looks like this thread has not been active for several months now, but I am curious if you have any updates to report. As Zak said, it is good to hear some positive encouragement. I tell you, some days I wish I had paid more attention to the horror stories before my surgery, and decided NOT to do it. But I had been thinking about it for years, so if not now, I probably would have eventually done it anyway.

I am now 6 weeks post custom (wavefront) IntraLasik (all-laser). Had my 6 week follow up the other day. Results: 20/20 in right eye, 20/15 in left. No flap complications, infections, or anything like that. As of now I do test as having 0.5 astigmatism in my right eye. This is dissapointing, since I did not have astigmatism in that eye prior to surgery. I read one source that says it is possible this can improve during the healing process, but have not seen any other information or real accounts of this. Do any of you know anything about this?

Vision side effects I have are increased floaters (worse in R eye), glare/starbursts/halos (day and night - but worse at night), and lesser ability to focus (at any distance) with the R eye. The floaters I am getting used to, and now I know the trouble focusing in the R eye is due to the astigmatism. What brings me to this discussion board, if you haven't guessed, are the glare/starburst issues. I may have noticed a slight improvement since surgery, but very slight. I have read, in threads like this, that this can take a long time to heal - so I'm trying to keep that in mind. But last night I watched a movie at home and was noticing a lot of glare - like the edges of the screen bleed over. Even with all of the lights on in the room, this became very discouraging for me. Did any of you see this kind of symptom subside?

There are a couple positive improvements I have noticed in the past couple weeks. I was getting eye strain (in the R eye) and headaches from trying to adjust to the new vision. Previous to lasik, my R eye was dominant and had better vision (because there was no astigmatism in that eye). Now, the quality of vision has flip flopped. I still feel my eyes get tired, but the headaches have subsided. The other thing is contrast at night. Prior to surgery I had excellent corrected vision in the dark. The first couple weeks after lasik I was freaking out because there was a sharp decrease in vision in low light. But this has gotten noticebly better - not up to pre-lasik corrected levels - but hopefully it will continue to improve.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:55 PM   #27
    Zak833
    (male)

Zak833 HB User

Hi Lasik2010... I'm sorry to hear about your condition. Unfortunately, I am now 5 1/2 months post-op and there has basically been no improvement in either my contrast sensitivity or my glare/starbursts (I also have the same problem you do when watching movies etc.)

It's not encouraging, to say the least, but something that did help me enormously was when my surgeon prescribed some glasses for me after the 3 month mark. Although I supposedly have 20/20 uncorrected, my vision definitely improves significantly with these glasses I was given, to the point of almost entirely neutralizing the decreased contrast sensitivity at night, and SLIGHTLY reducing the starbursts and glare (they have an anti-glare coating). Of course, I didn't get surgery to have to wear glasses while driving at night, but it's better to me than no solution at all. I've also been recommended the use of eye drops called Alphagan, which I've heard are particularly effective at improving night-time vision (more starbursts than contrast, I think), but I can't speak to that as I haven't tried it yet.

I really hope the future yields some kind of permanent fix to this problem, but for now it seems like we'll have to make do with the few makeshift solutions that are out there!

Good luck, and I hope it gets better for you.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:13 AM   #28
    sliktoxik
    (male)

sliktoxik HB User

hi lasik2010...i just wanted to comment on the halo or glare around the TV. Im only 5 days out and i havent noticed a glare or halo from the TV...thank god!! I hope it doesnt get worse. After reading so many horror stories..its definately freaks me out a little. In low light i see a little haze and halo round my cell phone screen and digital clock numbers and such. But as soon as i hit the lights they seem to go away. Good lighting for me seems to be the cure for me.........for now....... Starburst at night?...absolutely..but not to the point where it worries me to drive..at least not yet. My day time vision is awsome if im comparing it to how my eyes were before the op. Ive had coke bottles since the fourth grade and was nearly blind so for me to be able to read these small letters on the computer screen at almost 3ft away is such a vast improvement. i would like to be ensured that the halos and the starbursts will go away in time. i have to say honestly however..if i had read all the horror stories before the op..i wouldnt have no way done it. Im ususally pretty anal about investigating deeper into my decisions to do things. But this time...ive taken the word of about 100 individuals and they were all positive. Ive only started reading the negative issues after the fact..mabe it was just me not wanting to hear it...lol. too late now...guess we'll have to wait and see. Hope it gets better for you and everyone else out there.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:58 PM   #29
    Lasik2010
    (male)

Lasik2010 HB User

Zak - Sorry to hear that things did not improve. But I'm glad the glasses are working for you. My contrast and starburst/glare have really not improved in the past few weeks- or only very slightly. I'm now two months out. I do feel better knowing there are options to help it. If at my 3 month appt it's still unchained I'll try to get some glasses. And if at 6 months it's not better I plan to look into custom RGP contact lenses. For many people these seem to improve the contrast, glare, and starbursting. Plus I have a slight astigmatism in the R eye I would get corrected too. Early 2011 I have an overseas trip planned and want to have the best vision possible for it. The top issue I'm coping with at the moment is floaters in my right eye. Driving me crazy, and most likely nothing can be done about em.

Sliktox- thanks for the feedback, and glad your experience so far is positive. But I certainly agree that I would not have done this if I had come across so many horror stories before.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:55 AM   #30
    tiger84
    (male)

tiger84 HB User

i too wouldn't if ive heard so many bad things about lasik. but you know it really varies on the person, the eye doctor and the location. for me i find it safe here in my country and doctors here a very good. and though i have my fair share of downs (my right eye is 20/25, still after 3 months) it still good, i would still do it.

all i can say is be patient... even i will wait if mine going to be 20/20

Closed Thread