It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Anemia returning while taking iron and b12?!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-24-2010, 10:40 PM   #1
    maryjane1984
    (female)

maryjane1984 HB User
    Anemia returning while taking iron and b12?!

I was diagnosed with 2 types of anemia in January 2010 (iron deficiency and pernicious) I was at 10 for my ferritin level. I started taking two doses of iron a day (325 mcg 2x/day), along with 1000 mcg of B12. I felt great during April through mid-August, and in the past 2 weeks I've started going back to the old symptoms...but I'm keeping up the same regimen. I've actually upped my B12 to around 3000 mcg a day.

What's going on? I am still able to muster the strength to workout (which includes around an hour on an exercise bike 4 times a week and a 30 minute arms/legs weights workout 2 times a week), but it's not like the past few months where I had lots of energy. I could without a doubt fall asleep at work at the drop of a hat.

Has anyone else with anemia experienced this while taking doctor-ordered treatment measures? I feel like I could fall asleep at any moment, anywhere. And I have a feeling of drowsiness throughout the day. I am so sick of being tired all of the time!

Last edited by maryjane1984; 08-24-2010 at 11:00 PM. Reason: clarification, correction

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2010, 04:08 PM   #2
    Mari526
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mari526 HB User
    Re: Anemia returning while taking iron and b12?!

When was the last time you had lab work done? What were the results? Hopefully, you've notified your doctor of your symptoms.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:18 AM   #3
    jonnstar
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Get lab work done, see how your blood ount, iron and B12 are.

Fro there, you an plan treatent

Old 08-26-2010, 12:27 AM   #4
    jonnstar
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Agree with the aboe, get blood work done asap

Old 08-29-2010, 04:02 PM   #5
    japlopper
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

japlopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB User

If you have pernicious anemia, you should be getting the injections, as you can't absorb much B12 through your gut. You also may have a folic acid deficiency, and if you do, the B12 won't last in your system.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:56 PM   #6
    jonnstar
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Actualy, oral B12 is used to treat pernicious anaemia in many parts of the world, for example Sweden

If taken in mega doses ( Say 2000mcg per day) the body does adsorb the 2mcg it needs via passive difusion

Old 09-05-2010, 05:57 PM   #7
    japlopper
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

japlopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB User

The standard protocol that I'm familiar with for pernicious anemia and low B12 is B12 injections and sublingual, because true pernicious anemia means the person can't absorb it in the gut in great enough amounts to sustain what the organs need. I'm in several support groups, and for those with bad deficiencies, they do need the injections -- yes they take supplements, but they require the injections as well for the healing.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:33 PM   #8
    b12def1
    (male)

b12def1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by maryjane1984 View Post
    along with 1000 mcg of B12. I felt great during April through mid-August, and in the past 2 weeks I've started going back to the old symptoms...but I'm keeping up the same regimen. I've actually upped my B12 to around 3000 mcg a day.
    What type of cobalamin are you taking (methyl, hydroxo, cyano, adenosyl)? I was on hydroxo jabs every three months in the UK and would start to get tired after two months. My Dr increased this to every 2 months and I also started supplementing with methyl sublinguals (5000 mcg) and folic acid (1.6 mg) twice a day and have remained clear headed and relatively fatigue free. I still have a bad day if I eat something that affects my B12 levels.

After moving from the UK to the USA I'm now switching from hydroxo to cyano jabs. The recommendation is monthly but I'm going to ask for a jab every three weeks if the tiredness and memory problems return.

Closed Thread