It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• Bending my knee after TKR

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-25-2010, 05:54 PM   #1
    don1935
    (male)

don1935 HB User
    Bending my knee after TKR

I had TKR 5 weeks ago and was alergic to all prescribed pain meds so my Physical Therapy has gone slower than I wanted or expected.

I can now bend my knee to 90 degrees w/o pain but have hit a brick wall of intense pain getting it to 95 degrees and beyond. Should I worry or will it happen in time when the swelling continues to go down?

Any suggestions on how I might speed it up?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2010, 05:59 AM   #2
    morider
    (male)

morider HB User
    Re: Bending my knee after TKR

Sorry to hear you are having to deal with PT without the help of pain meds. My surgeon told me that scar tissue starts forming within 6 weeks of surgery so that may be contributing to the pain. I don't have any issues with pain meds but have issues with range of motion due to previous damage prior to my RTKR the end of July. 5 weeks out I had MUA and 2 weeks ago PT started me on ASTYM therapy. It is a soft tissue therapy that helps break up scar tissue. I did some research before starting and was expecting more pain than what I have actually experienced. It is a little uncomfortable in certain areas but has really helped with increasing my range of motion. You might ask your PT about adding ASTYM to your therapy routine.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:56 AM   #3
    don1935
    (male)

don1935 HB User

thanks much for the tip

Old 10-08-2010, 03:25 AM   #4
    JaimeRod
    (male)

JaimeRod HB User

You're only five weeks post op, in time this should get better. I am 6 months post op and I started feeling better with range of motion after the 2 month.

Not being able to go full force in therapy will slow down your progress, however, if you stick with it, time will take care of the rest.

Old 10-09-2010, 02:44 AM   #5
    lindy353
    (female)

lindy353 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by don1935 View Post
    I had TKR 5 weeks ago and was alergic to all prescribed pain meds so my Physical Therapy has gone slower than I wanted or expected.

I can now bend my knee to 90 degrees w/o pain but have hit a brick wall of intense pain getting it to 95 degrees and beyond. Should I worry or will it happen in time when the swelling continues to go down?

Any suggestions on how I might speed it up?
    Hi don Im also 5 weeks since surgery and like you my PT is not going as quick as i would have liked it to be but mines due to increased swelling so my surgeon on 4th october and his reply was it will come do the therapy as it feels good for you as the swelling does make it harder for you to bend so thats what im doing when i look at were i am now i have moved forward so in another 5 weeks im going to be even further so go at your pace don it will get there lindie

Last edited by lindy353; 10-09-2010 at 06:48 AM.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:38 PM   #6
    Mart16
    (female)

Mart16 HB UserMart16 HB UserMart16 HB User

Don-

You say you are allergic to prescribed med but are you allergic to over the counter meds like Advil? If not I would be taking them for the inflammation on a continuous basis to build it up in your system. Once I got off the pain meds and was able to get on simple Advil I felt so much better. Also if you are seeing an improvement weekly even if it is a small improvement but going in the right direction my PT said it will come.
    Good luck to you.
    Mart

Old 10-11-2010, 09:04 PM   #7
    Startanew
    (female)

Startanew HB User

I'm also 5 weeks post surgery, and have a great Physical Therapist. I have come a long way with her help, but I just can't get past the painful, tight (feels like a steel binder the whole circumfrence of the knee) feeling. Still swells no matter what, either sitting, laying down, walking, exercising. I try to ice at least 5 times daily, more like 7, but even after icing, knee is still so tight it's painful. I can only hope this is usual, and that by doing my exercises twice every day, that this tightness I'm feeling will eventually (soon I hope) go away. Hope you all feel better as each day passes.

Closed Thread