It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Acne scar treatment that works

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-17-2001, 11:39 AM   #76
    Tina081168

Tina081168 HB User
    Re: Acne scar treatment that works

Also meant to write . . . I know what you mean about wanting 100% improvement. Your 70% improvement w/the ALA is just amazing. Everything I read about CO2 resurfacing indicates that it only gives approx a 50% improvement. Thank God you didn't put yourself through that.

I think my plan is to use the ALA for the next few mos. May go through a couple of bottles. If I'm not where I want to be w/that I'm going to look into Cool Touch or Nlite. There's several articles out there about Cool Touch providing a 25 to 70% improvement. I wrote a doctor in S. Fl & he told me he gets 40 to 70% improvement in scars w/the Cool Touch that he's been using for a couple of years. Have also seen people like Help & one other on another board indicating that the Nlite really improves scars.

If all of that doesn't work, I may go for subcision. I've got a great medical journal article on that that just came out a few mos ago.

I really hope to avoid CO2 due to the down time. Plus I sometimes have problems w/rosacea & I heard that the CO2 can hurt that.

Boy I'm blabbing today. I think having a plan helps make me less depressed about all of this. Knock wood, all of us in a few mos to a year can have our scar problems lessened enough so that we're happy.

I'm so glad for you about your success Micki & really appreciate you telling us about it!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2001, 12:18 PM   #77
    MICKEYM

MICKEYM HB User

Tina I really wish that I rembered that I am trying to recall and the only thing that I can think of is when my friend had her baby at the end of march I was red and peely I just dont know when I used my first bottle I will look thru some bank statements to see when it was charged I started using it right away. I really should have documented it better but I didnt think that it would work so well.

Old 08-17-2001, 12:22 PM   #78
    Tina081168

Tina081168 HB User

Hey Micki: Don't worry about going through bank statements! I am just worrying too much about whether this stuff will work for me. Need to chill & just give this a few mos. My scars are older than yours (way older -- some are like 12 years old), so I'm really going to have to give this some time before I can see if it'll work.

THANKS much! Tina

Old 08-17-2001, 12:28 PM   #79
    MICKEYM

MICKEYM HB User

Too late Tina I already checked I have online banking I purchased my first bottle feb 13th I figure it took about a week to arrive so lets say feb 21st she had her baby mar 25th so that is a little over a month I also will say that after I stopped using I still saw improvement for a few weeks and also the red left my face. I think though if you continue to use it it will keep working that is why with my next bottle I am only gonna use it on my scarred area which is mh cheek area and hope that the bottle will last maybe 4 months.

Old 08-17-2001, 12:33 PM   #80
    MICKEYM

MICKEYM HB User

Well remeber when I posted that the prices were going up well I just checked the site where I order from and sure enough the price has gone up to $120/bottle for the hp I havent checked any other sites yet so you might still be able to find it for $110.

Old 08-17-2001, 01:37 PM   #81
    Tina081168

Tina081168 HB User

Thanks much, Mickey! Sounds like your peeling must have begun somewhere around the 3rd or 4th week? I'm probably looking too much too soon!

Again, thanks for checking that out! Tina

Old 08-17-2001, 04:20 PM   #82
    justmeagain

justmeagain HB User

Hi Guys:

I didn't realize that the product had such an effect like MickeyM mentioned. It's kind of scary. (The peeling that is). Mickey, were you able to go out in public or are you exagerating (sp)? Were you on any other topical medication when you were applying the ALA?

Tina, you mentioned that you are using Retin A. Are you using the ALA with the Retin A, and why the Retin A? I am almost as old as you and still get some blackheads / whiteheads which have resulted in some scarring and large pores on my cheeks and nose. I've heard that Retin A is good for lifting the blackheads and whiteheads.

BTW, Perricone's site mentions that you can apply Retin A prior to the FFA. I don't know if you saw that Tina, but it's under the Q&A section.

I'm going to the derm next week. I'm not applying Retin A yet, but I wonder if I should give it a few weeks if she prescribes it before I start the ALA to lift out what is there. Have you guys dealt with or are dealing with blackheads or scarring from them? My T-Zone is still oily at my age.

Tina & Mickey -- I enjoy the "babble" (as Tina refers to it), and I always look forward to your posts. I have also found that the answers from the Perricone site are vague at best.
    Talk to you later.<p>[This message has been edited by justmeagain (edited 08-17-2001).]

Old 08-17-2001, 04:53 PM   #83
    Tina081168

Tina081168 HB User

All that & I still forgot to answer one of the ?s! I'm not using the Retin A w/the ALA right now. Think I'll give the ALA a shot on its own for a month or two & then think about adding it.

Old 08-17-2001, 11:10 PM   #84
    MICKEYM

MICKEYM HB User

Justmeagain it really isnt as bad as it sounds the peeling was hardly ever seen becasue when the time came and it started flaking is when I used the warm damp wash cloth. The worst part about it was the way it felt it was almost like my face was sandpaper it was very rough this stuff dosent make you face just flake alittle it peels thick layers of skin and you have fresh pink skin that comes out. When I did use the soak I was very cafeful and gentle I dont want to make the scarring any worse and I didnt do it until the peeling began that way I was sure that it was ready to come off my skin was sandpaper like for about 4-6 days. It did this peeling a couple times but that is when my skin got much better. I would go thru conditions 10X worse to get the results that I got it was only a few weeks and now I am so much happier with my face even though it isnt even close to perfect once the breakouts stop then maybe. Also I didnt use any topicals with the ala I used makeup during the day sometimes but it was just that and the ala I also use purpose bar soap but I dont really think that matters. GOOD LUCK!!!

Old 08-17-2001, 11:57 PM   #85
    B*Nina

B*Nina HB User

MICKEYM,

Quick question, how did you know for sure if you have PCOD unless diagnosed and have you ever had missed periods. If so you said you are taking spiro, is it helping with your peiods? And can you take spiro with Accutane. Thanks

Old 08-18-2001, 02:38 AM   #86
    newscaster

newscaster HB User

MICKEYM...

Thanks for all the great info about your treatment and results with ALA...you actually got me to join (that's difficult to get me to do!), and I've got a couple of questions for you. I've found a site that offers the high-potency formula, and I plan to follow your routine; what was the dosage of ALA you took orally along with the topical solution? Was it 50 or 100mg? Also, how long does a bottle of the high potency formula last, and how often do you apply?

Thanks again for all your help...it beats shelling out the dough (and pain) for dermabrasion, peels, etc, and it seems really effective!

Oops...one more question...if you hear back from the Dr. about whether or not taking the ALA less than a year after accutane is harmful or not, I'd love to know!

Old 08-18-2001, 10:00 AM   #87
    justmeagain

justmeagain HB User

MickeyM:

You are becoming very popular on this board. I think that all the FFA solutions they sell also have 5% glycolic acid. From what I've read, glycolic acid is an AHA that is sometimes used for peels (usually a lot higher concentration than 5%).

From all the info that I've read about ALA, it seems to work from the inside out. Were the depressions raised or was the skin actually peeled down? I wonder if it was the glycolic acid that caused the peeling.

Also, you said you still have some active acne. Do you have any blackheads or whiteheads? If so, did you also apply the FFA to these areas and how did this affect these?

I apologize that I ask so many questions.
    Have a great Saturday!<p>[This message has been edited by justmeagain (edited 08-18-2001).]

Old 08-18-2001, 06:14 PM   #88
    MICKEYM

MICKEYM HB User

*****for B*NINA ****** I once looked up or someone posted here the symptoms of pcos I had most of them acne on jawline, brown patches on skin, skin tags, unexplained weight gain, missed periods I just hate doctors I have been to sooooo many drs that tell me they are the drs and they will do the diagnoses then give me antibiotics after taking spiro for a while I will probally get tested I just despise doctors I think alot of the time they do more bad then good. As far as it working not yet it has only been 3 and a half weeks though it can take a few months to see results I have never been on accutane so I dont know if you can mix then if you call a pharmacy like walgreens or osco you can talk to a pharmist over the phone and they can look up the 2 meds in there computer to see if there would be any adverse reactions. Another thing that I read about is there are people that have taked accutane more than one time and it would clear them up then they would break out again then they were diagnosed with pcos and spiro was much more helpful for them. I hope to have clear skin by January. For the spiro the first week I took 50mg then I had no side effects from that so I moved it up to 75mg for another week no side effects I am now at 100mg I will take this for 2-4 weeks before I move it up to 125 I also just started taking Diane 35 this week so we shall see I will keep you posted.

Old 08-18-2001, 06:25 PM   #89
    MICKEYM

MICKEYM HB User

Newscaster glad you decided to try I hope you have great results I took 100mg of ala along with dmae I am not sure how much of this I took I will post once I locate the bottle, vitamin e in the form of tocotrienols it is more costly than vitamin e I found it at vitaminshoppe 200mg, and 1000mg vitamin c esther c. My bottle of ala lasted about 2 months I used it relegiously 2 times a day I never missed an application on the scarred areas on my skin I applied a heavier coat and applied regulary to the rest of my face. I will e-mail perricones co again and ask about the accutane hopefully they will respond this time.

Justmeagain I still have quite a bit of active acne the hp ala made it no worse or better I was hoping that it would improve it but oh well at least it didnt make it worse. I do know that the ala has 5% gly acid in it I also think that this is what caused the peeling I think that you edited your post but I read it earlier today I just couldnt respond at that time. I have had several chemical peels one was a tca peel but even after my skin peeled (and this was 100x worse than the ala but very litte of my scarring was gone. I think that the glycolic acid will peel the skin but I think that the ala actually raises the scars I dont know this for sure but I am thinking about all of those face peels that I had where ya I did loose alot of skin but the scarring was barely affected this is just my opinion anyways. If this dosent make sense just respond or if I missed anyones ?s plese let me know I am always happy to respond if I can.

Old 08-18-2001, 07:31 PM   #90
    justmeagain

justmeagain HB User

Thanks for the answer, MickeyM.

What kind of acne did you have while you were doing the ALA? Whiteheads / blackheads / cysts....

Like I said, I still get whiteheads and blackheads and don't want to make them any worse.

Closed Thread