It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• back again--question about term "obliteration"

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-14-2010, 04:17 PM   #1
    binx
    (female)

binx HB User
    back again--question about term "obliteration"

hello spinal cord disorders board members,

i frequented this board quite a bit last year due to a diagnosed herniated c5-c6 disc and multi-level DDD. i went on a detour down the MS path, complete with steroid infusion which nearly killed me, after a follow-up MRI in february showed a hyperintensity at c5-c6 which my neurologist felt was an MS lesion.

i have since had two follow-up 3T MRIs with contrast and two opinions from additional neurologists who do not feel that the MRI revealed a spinal cord lesion, and that what is showing up is a dilatation of the spinal column just below c5-c6 as a result of my herniation.

at any rate, i just got my hands on a copy of my latest MRI report from last week and have a question about the c5-c6 level description:

C5-C6: There is moderate loss of disc height. There is prominent posterior osteophytic bar and a broad annular disc bulge which results in impingement upon the central and right paracentral cord although this appears to be subtly milder in extent than seen on prior exam. There is complete obliteration of CSF anteriorly with near complete obliteration posteriorly. On sagittal imaging cord deformity is noted. Associated uncinate and facet hypertrophy results in moderate to moderately severe right neural foraminal stenosis with left neural foramen widely patent.

can anyone tell me what "obliteration" means in this context?

i go see my new neurologist tomorrow to go over the rest of the very lengthy report, but she indicated to me over the phone that she will refer me to a neurosurgeon again to discuss ACDF.

best wishes to one and all,
    binx

Last edited by binx; 10-14-2010 at 04:17 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2010, 09:48 AM   #2
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
    Re: back again--question about term "obliteration"

Hey Binx...it's still going on, huh.

Anyhow, what is obliterated is any sign of the fluid that is supposed to be around your cord. It appears to be totally blocked. They can't see any fluid around the cord at that level...it appears to have been obliterated...gone...nada...none.....the big zero. Means your spinal cord has been surrounded and it is being closed in on and if you don't do an ACDF, you are facing paralysis.

I had the same thing...cord was down to 6mms (from 12) and there was no sign of spinal fluid circulating around the cord. That was why I had no pain anymore. I was going numb. And once the cord is compressed too far, you lose the blood supply in the cord and then it's all over...you are paralyzed and at C5-6...that means from the chest or neck down.

And what I have found out now almost 4 years out form surgery, you may not get back what you have lost. I did at first but now I have the same level of damage coming back. The arm that had pain now has tendons that have gone lax and I dislocate joints. The leg weakness has returned as well as both arms. I cannot impress upon you the need to follow up with this and get it fixed before it is too late. I was too late. And now I pay for it.

Let me know what the neurologist says.

gentle hugs.............Jenny

Old 10-15-2010, 11:58 AM   #3
    binx
    (female)

binx HB User

hi jenny,

thank you for your response, and i'm sorry to hear that your condition has continued to decline since we last were in contact. i have thought about your experience on and off during the past year, but then the neurologist told me i had MS and that so many people have discectomy surgery only to discover their symptoms were MS-related. i really got derailed from my pursuit of ACDF.

i just got back from the 3rd opinion neurologist and she looked me in the eye and said "you do not have myelitis, and it's time to get that disc out of there." she walked my husband and me over to the neurosurgeon's office she shares a suite with and scheduled me for a consultation with him on 11/9. i imagine i will have surgery scheduled before the holidays.

i only hope it's not too late.

blessings to you,
    binx

Old 10-16-2010, 09:47 AM   #4
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Have you seen the actual MRI pictures? If you have, does your spinal cord look like an oval or flat as a pancake? Should be oval.....mine was flat as a pancake. I think you aren't too late. If I saw something that said your cord was less than half thickness then I would have pointed that out...that is where I was. But you are at the point where that will happen if you don't do something now.

And you are...so that is great. You aren't too late.

hugs...........Jen

The Following User Says Thank You to jennybyc For This Useful Post:
    binx (10-24-2010)
    Old 10-23-2010, 09:24 PM   #5
    binx
    (female)

binx HB User

hi again, jenny,

sorry for the delayed reply to your kind response to my post. i kind of checked out for a while, trying to get my head around all of this, but have resurfaced. man, what a roller coaster ride this has been--and not the fun kind.

at any rate, i did see my MRI images and the cord is not quite "flat as a pancake", but it is definitely narrowed. it is being primarily impacted from the anterior disc rupture and bone spur, but also from another bone spur on the posterior side of the cord. i am quite anxious to get this taken care of.

i truly appreciate your support, as always, and will keep you posted as things unfold during the coming weeks.

blessings to you,
    binx

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jennybyc View Post
    Have you seen the actual MRI pictures? If you have, does your spinal cord look like an oval or flat as a pancake? Should be oval.....mine was flat as a pancake. I think you aren't too late. If I saw something that said your cord was less than half thickness then I would have pointed that out...that is where I was. But you are at the point where that will happen if you don't do something now.

And you are...so that is great. You aren't too late.

hugs...........Jen

Last edited by binx; 10-23-2010 at 09:27 PM.

Closed Thread