It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Straterra

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-10-2003, 10:49 AM   #76
    mybubble8
    Inactive

mybubble8 HB User
    Thumbs down

This weekend was 2 weeks on Strattera. So far, we haven't really seen any good results. We are still giving (1) 18mg Concerta along with the Strattera, for he can't hold it together without it. (FYI - he used to take (1) 18mg Concerta and (1) 5mg Ritalin 8AM and (1) 18mg Concerta at 1PM (this worked great, no hyperness in the evening and it would wear off at bedtime)) At the 1 week mark, the Concerta and Strattera combination gave me a child I would only dream about. This effectiveness has seemed to wear off when we hit the 2 week mark. We tried again this weekend not giving the Concerta and it was terrible. He acted just as if he had no meds at all. Today we are back giving the Concerta with the Strattera. This weekend coming up will be week 3 and we won't be giving the Concerta again. If this weekend coming up is no better than I think we have to give up and go back to his Concerta regimin, unless the p-doc thinks the Strattera dosing is wrong. (I doubt it though, for he is 54lbs on 25mg)At least I can say we at least tried.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2003, 02:24 PM   #77
    catmom

catmom HB User
    Question

Today my son's doctor upped his straterra dosage to 40 from 25 mg (my 10 yr old weighs 95 lb). He said the moodiness could be a temporary side effect & to watch how he does. I haven't told his teacher he's taking the straterra, but will ask if she sees a difference in focus or ability to get work done. He's gradually become a very quiet child now with nonverbal learning disability that makes school & social interaction tough. He's tall & atheletic & kids see him as gruff & mean, when he's really so sweet one-on-one. Hoped the straterra would help him control what he says & how he reacts. Don't know if I want to try a stimulant. Doc also suggests an antiseizure drug to increase blood flow to temporal lobe to increase language processing.
    Any comments?

Old 02-10-2003, 04:50 PM   #78
    help
    Inactive

help HB User
    Try fish oil @ 6-8 grams before an anti-seizure med.
    If it's unsuccessful ask about combining a smaller dose with fish oil with neurontin.

Old 02-11-2003, 04:01 PM   #79
    catmom

catmom HB User
    Thanks for advice re fish oil. My son's been on Omega 3 for a year. Haven't seen any effect, but figure it can't hurt. Also started him on gingko biloba per doc's suggestion. Nerontin is alternative to the gabitril (sp?) doc prescribed. We're trying straterra for focus, etc., first before gavitril. Any comments on how straterra & anti-seizure meds mix? Just upped straterra to 40mg/dy today. I assume if we see impact, it'll be within 1-2 weeks.

Old 02-11-2003, 10:39 PM   #80
    help
    Inactive

help HB User
    Chances are there is a dramatic effect with the omega-3 even though unnoticable. It usually helps more with mood and each person takes a different dose. Omega-3's even though have shown beneficial for AD/HD symptoms, they don't help the frontal lobes all too much. They mainly stabalize the temporal lobes which is primarily what anti-seizure meds are for.

I've never heard of the type of anti-seziure; however, the most common/popular steps doctors take strength-wise is :

1. neurontin ->
    2. tegratol ->
    3. depakote

Old 02-11-2003, 10:43 PM   #81
    help
    Inactive

help HB User
    Anti-seizures will probably make strattera less stimulating so the 'mission' is to find the right combo of the two meds that are ideal for stabalization and ideal for stimulating.

Anger, temper, mood instability is usually what anti-seizures are prescribed for.. Well, at least if they're not prescribed for actual seizures.

Old 02-11-2003, 10:46 PM   #82
    help
    Inactive

help HB User
    gingko is for overall brain blood flow, the doctor probably wants to try and increase it in his left temporal lobe. Other good supplements for blood circulation/flow are vitamin e, and ibuprofen.

Old 02-12-2003, 07:32 AM   #83
    catmom

catmom HB User
    Wink

Thanks very much for your help. This board is great for that & we are new to meds. I confirmed it is gabitril (tiagabine hydrochloride)starting at 4mg 1-2 times day. Mfg, Cephalon) says 12-18 yr olds' max dosage is 36mg. My son is 11. We'll wait until we see how strattera goes. Doc also said more protein & aminio acids would be good. I've read that too much ginkgo or E can be too blook-thinning. What do you think? Also, wondering about combined supplements soch as "Focus" or "Einstein Factor" that claim to improve focus & memory. Any one using them?

Old 02-12-2003, 07:39 AM   #84
    addvocate
    Inactive

addvocate HB User
    Dear catmom,

Please watch your vitamin e - it is "fat soluble" and stored by the body. XS is not good. Be sure your doctor is involved in all the OTC & RX changes you make. Safety studies have not necessarily been done - and dosages of gingko - who knows how much to give? Please be sure that you get a source that has standardized units - and don't switch manufacturers. The herbals do not have the same regulations. I have used, but need to be "fussy". All common sense, but just had to put in my 2 cents.

Old 02-12-2003, 08:04 AM   #85
    CindyG

CindyG HB User
    I am new to this board but after reading for several days I just had to jump in. I am mom at a 8 year old boy who has been on Straterra since the beginning of Jan. In the past we have tried Ritalin, Adderal, Concerta and Tennex. We could help his focus and hyperness but the cost was great with tics, weight loss, and insomnia. We tried Straterra out of desperation. Early on he was very sleepy (actually falling asleep at school), moody, and defiant. If Starterra had not been our last hope I would have given up. I am SO glad we hung in there. He is now doing wonderfully ! He is getting awards at school for finishing his work without help. He is happy, sleeping well and gaining weight. He says he no longer feels "wiggly" and want to do his school work. I guess my advice would be if you have started Straterra, hang in there and give it a chance to work. If you have not started yet, please wait until summer if you do not have a supportive school. The medication does take time to build up in the system. For my family...it has been a miracle.

Old 02-12-2003, 10:28 AM   #86
    JeffRMom

JeffRMom HB User
    I have also been reading all the postings on this board for the past few days and find it so so helpful!! Thanks to everyone for sharing as this forum is very informational and supportive! My son, is also recently (January) diagnosed with ADHD but I was told he is mainly inattention and just a little busy. He is never hyperactive but he has problem sitting still for a long time as his teachers expected him to!? My main concern is that he is not able to finish his school work even though he is a very bright kid with above average IQ. I have not medicated him but chose to give him natural nutritional supplements (Attend and fish oil). I have noticed that he is more happy and less stressful.

I want to help him to be the best he could be as he is clearly not performing to his potential at school and struggling daily to do his school work. Homework is not a big hussle as he works well one-on-one with me and he is very smart. I just have to remove most distractions (e.g. little sister, TV and his toy!) and he will eventually settle down and get work done. I am changing my mind now after reading all the postings on the use of Straterra.

I have called my son's doctor this morning on trying out Straterra and I am waiting for him to call me back. I am very concerned about the side effects especially the unknown long term ones as this is such a new medicine. Can anyone share any insights on the long term side effects with me as I do not see that when I search Eli Lilly's website on Straterra. I am so hesitant to make my son ill with the possible side effects as he is so healthy and happy now with the exception of his attention problem at school. On the other hand, I want him to be able to perform at his best! This is the most difficult decision for me in life! Any advice is welcome and THANK YOU!

Old 02-12-2003, 10:52 AM   #87
    faithinhim

faithinhim HB User
    I asked my doctor about long term side effects and he basically said that since they have been doing studies on strattera since 1998, that the longest period of "long term" effects they have are within a four year period. So it's kind of an unknown if you want to know how the medicine may affect your child six or seven years because they really don't have research that far. It is kind of scary, however we opted to try it because doing nothing was causing my son to drown in school work.

We've been on strattera now for one week and so far it has gone well. He's not by any means totally focused or attentive, but I can tell some improvement. The side effects are MUCH better than the adderall. He wouldn't eat on adderall, and it can't be healthy for kids to skip lunch every day of the school year. I have noticed that my son is somewhat argumentative which is unlike him. But I'm hoping that this will improve and the attentive skills will improve the longer it is in his system.

Faithinhim

Old 02-12-2003, 02:26 PM   #88
    KeepTrying99

KeepTrying99 HB User
    Smile

My 13-year-old son was last on Adderall. It really helped him pay attention in class and get the work done, but he was in the nurse's office so much with headaches and stomach problems that it wasn't worth it - we took him off it over a year ago. He's been struggling (or more truthfully we and his teachers have been struggling with HIM!) to get C's and D's.

He's got some OCD and anxiety so he's on Celexa, and he's angry and demanding so he's on Risperdol (what a life-saver! - a great mood stabilizer).

He started on Strattera January 25, first 25 mg for 7 days and then 80 mg (he weighs 105), so we're coming up on 3 weeks. The doc did not change the other meds at all. The psychiatrist told me Strattera would take effect right away, no waiting for several weeks, and so we were APPALLED the first week to think that the person our son turned into was what Strattera would do for people.

Every evening he was struck with a bout of being very angry -lashing out and yelling, or very very emotional - crying about how we didn't love him and so forth. It was like the terrible backlash he used to get from Ritalin and other drugs. He was a bit manic too. We thought the Risperdal had been inactivated. But we didn't give up, and after reading these posts today clearly the psychiatrist was wrong and we can see that too, because we are pretty pleased with what we are seeing today.
    -He's actually getting along with his sister (!).
    -He's more agreeable, not so deadbent on bullying us all to get his own way.
    -The anger and emotionalism tapered off altogether.
    -On Sunday he sat down and finished off 5 math sheets without even looking up. What a breakthrough!
    -His appetite is great.
    We're just kinda sittin' back here, nodding and thinking, hmmmm, this might be a good thing after all.

His study hall teacher who oversees his IEB has not yet seen anything to write home about, except that "he's been listless and has just generally seemed ornery," for the past 3 weeks. The jury's still out for school, I guess.

We are definitely not taking him off Strattera.

Old 02-12-2003, 03:47 PM   #89
    JeffRMom

JeffRMom HB User
    faithinhim, thanks and please continue to post. I wonder if there is anyone out there who has been on stimulant medication for over five years, who can share the experience and longer term effectiveness of the medication. It seems to me some medication loss its effectiveness after a while. Does that mean one has to keep changing and rotate through all the different ADHD medication that are available out there? It is scary to think of having to test out different medication and deal with the side effects and having to rely on stimulant medication over a long period of time.

I would like to know if anyone take the approach of medicating for a few years and then stop when the kid is more mature and able to better self-discipline in school?

Old 02-12-2003, 07:18 PM   #90
    ILMOM3

Cool

I am a mother of three and two are on strattera just recently moved over from Concerta. In hopes to get off the controled substance. Night and Day is the best way to describe the two meds regarding side effects. My kids were extremly tired at first this tapered off and now they are only tired in the evening as they should be. They are 11yr boy and a 9yr girl. My kids were staying up til midnight and getting up at 6am. Now they are sleepy by eight and up by 7am. My son also had a problem with making it threw the night that is gone. They have been on the meds for two and a half weeks. We are increasing the dose on both in hopes that they can be more focused but only time will tell. Good Luck to All and I hope this gives a little insite. It will be hard to return to Concerta if we end up needing to.

Closed Thread