It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Straterra

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-14-2003, 11:00 AM   #106
    MikeGinny

MikeGinny HB User
    Help,

I have actually heard both "non-narrow angle" and "open angle" used. I don't think there is a single correct term.

As for your question about changes in effectiveness of the methylphenidate, it's a bit interesting. I was on successively higher and higher doses until I was on 108 mg of Concerta per day last year.

Early last fall, I started having palpitations and I asked my doctor if maybe we could try coming down to 81 mg. It worked. Then I independently tried coming down to 54 on non-school days. That worked. Then I tried coming down to 54 on school days this last month. It's working. It takes a bit more mental effort to stay focused, but I'm not flunking out of school or anything. I might go up to a 54 and a 18 when it comes time to start studying for Boards.

Momofwillie and MarieM, there is a warning that Strattera is not to be opened. In general, I think it's a good idea for kids to be taught how to swallow pills. If they have ADHD, the skill will serve them well and, contrary to popular belief, just about anyone can learn to swallow a pill (barring a neurological disorder affecting swallowing).

Having said that, many physicians do advise patients that it is OK to open Strattera and sprinkle it on food. Because I do not give medical advice, I will neither recommend nor discourage this technique. Ask your doctor. However, the contents of the capsule taste NASTY and the flavor is not disguised by even very sweet or savory foods. I suspect this is why this warning is included for this drug.

------------------
    -Mike
    Certified Mad Scientist

"90% of people are
    caused by accident."

"90% of people are
    caused by accident."

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2003, 11:43 AM   #107
    momofwillie

momofwillie HB User
    MarieM and MikeGinny, Thanks for the response. I just got an email from our Dr. saying the capsule should generally not be opened as it would not be absorbed as efficiently BUT if that was the only way he would take it, it was better than nothing, and what counts is how he was doing on it. My 7 yr old has autism and there is no way he will swallow the capsule. I will call the pharmacy as you suggested and advise as to how he does.

Old 02-14-2003, 11:49 AM   #108
    Mariellen

Mariellen HB User
    Smile

Mike,

Thank you for your posting. My daughter is just starting Straterra and in fact this is day two. She too is on Clonidine and the Doctor feels that we should be able to do away with the Clonidine all together. She has us on a schedule to do just that. The Pharmacist was also pleased to hear that this medication might alleviate the use of Clonidine.

Yesterday, being her first day, she was quite active and hard to manage at school. They are willing to work through the med change with us as she is changing from Adderall XR which for us was much better than Adderall and Ritalin. She has anxiety and distractability issues along with compulsivity. Her Doctor feels these will all be addressed with the use of Straterra. As I am reading from these posts I can see that it will take some time to see any major changes. My daughter did not have an appetite problem with Adderall XR though. She did have a sleep issue, it was hard for her to fall asleep and then once there she would wake very easily and stay awake.

I have been following these posts and especially MarieM and her experiences along with Jasmine and faithinhim. I hope that we are fortunate with this medication and it is heartening to realize that we just might have found an answer for our child.

Old 02-15-2003, 02:28 PM   #109
    karen z

karen z HB User
    [or, anyone's child on straterra, notice any type of behavior or mental state (for lack of a better phrase) change, however slight? Last night, my son went to his room & went to bed. I went in a little while later, possibly only about 15-20 minutes. He was sitting up in bed, with a confused look on his face. He didn't seem to remember taking his jacket off, or his socks & shoes, before climbing into bed. Evidently, he felt so sleepy he didn't bother to undress, just fell into bed. Anyway, does anyone else experience any confusion like this on straterra?
    PLease, everyone, keep posting updates to your experiences/problems/good & bad things while taking this med. So far, these posts have been helpful to me. Thanks!!![/B][/QUOTE]

my daughter just started today. 3 hours into it started to stutter a few times ( no previous speech problems, possibly not related, but noted anyway) says she feels hot, feels funny and a little dizzy........seems a bit confused, out of it.I JUST checked on her, she is asleep. Please let me know how your son is doing. Has this subsided? Anyone with same experience?

[This message has been edited by karen z (edited 02-19-2003).]

Old 02-16-2003, 06:02 AM   #110
    Harriedmom

Harriedmom HB User
    My 2 boys have been on Strat for about 10 days and the only remotely negaative side effect so far has been strange sleeping habits, like falling asleep early, then being up about an hour or 2 later. They then stay up late, but are quiet and watch tv and don't bother anyone. This is not a problem for me compared to the positives.

As for mental state, I think my 10 year old who has been on stimulants for so long, is finally gaining a self awareness he never had. I think his feelings and behavior changes are as surprising and pleasing to him as they are to us.(See my post under MikeMcGinny thread) http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/wow.gif

Old 02-16-2003, 08:02 AM   #111
    MarieM

MarieM HB User
    My son is on day 10, doing very well. The first few days he was easily angered & would storm off to his room. He now has less mood swings & seems more focused. He has been eating very well (YEAH!) & sleeping habits are better than they ever were (even before Adderall XR). He won't be on his target dose of Strattera (25mg) till Friday so I am very hopeful that we've done something right here. This coming week at school will give me more insight when I see how much homework he'll bring home & notes from the teacher.

Old 02-16-2003, 05:17 PM   #112
    Jellybeanz

Jellybeanz HB User
    Cool

My son is 10 -took 4 days of 25 mg then 1st day of 40 mg on 2nd day he became ill. Dr. says restart on meds when he is well. so we get to start over. But we saw almost immediate good changes in only 5 days so we are very optimistic. Appetite is up he did seem to complain of stomach ache every evening about the same time every day and the first 2 days he was sleepy. but his tics are almost gone and he eats! overall attention seems so much more consistant than coming off the adderall xr at the end of the day- he can actually do his homework! I am hoping it will go as well as soon as he gets well.

Old 02-16-2003, 06:59 PM   #113
    TessaTL

TessaTL HB User
    Wow!!! I feel lucky to have found this site. My son is 6 and in Kindergarten. We started Strattera one week ago. We also saw the sleepiness. He fell asleep in church, and trust me that had NEVER happened before. Strattera is the first drug that we have tried. He was always having difficulty in school. His teacher would tell me that he was just all over the place all the time. I knew it was true. I saw the same things. He had his first "all green" week. He got to choose treasure box and thought it was the best week ever. The tiredness is wearing off. In fact, I was wondering if anyone is seeing the opposite. My son is starting to wake up at 5 a.m. Granted he goes to bed at 7:30. He has always gone to bed at 7:30. My only thought is that maybe he is falling asleep earlier and sleeping better. If it is not the drug.

By the way I am a teacher. I have 5 children with ADHD in my classroom. (Let me tell you how exhausted I have been this year! All day with them and then home to him. I crash in bed by 8!)

Old 02-16-2003, 08:09 PM   #114
    kelly4

kelly4 HB User
    Could someone tell me why it takes so long to build up in the system?

My son has ADHD and is currently on the addrall xr. This worked the first day he was on it. He has been on this since end of nov. and it is now not helping. I am calling his doc tomorrow as I think the dose need to be upped(he is only on 10mg). I having been reading up on straterra and wondering if it would work for him. If I do switch I would like to wait till the summer because of the time frame it takes to work. THank you for your help.

Old 02-16-2003, 09:18 PM   #115
    MarieM

MarieM HB User
    Kelly4, it may be that your son's dose may need to be increased as you stated. My daughter has been on Adderall XR since June & we had to up her a few times & now has been on the same dose for at least 4 months. I'm told I will know when she's out growing the dose & will have to adjust it again. Because Adderall has worked so well for her (with virtually no side effects) I would continue her on the same medication. My son was also on Adderall XR for 5 mos but he did not respond as well to it & did have side effects, he has been on Strattera for almost 2 wks now. I would agree with you about switching meds after school lets out if possible, if you are getting the results necessary from his current meds. Definately call the doc & see what their input is but I don't think one is an alternative over another, both Adderall XR & Strattera are totally different meds & each may work for some but not others. If the Adderall is working for him & it's just the dose I would stick with it as long as he's doing well on it. (That's just my opinion of course http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif )

Good Luck!

Old 02-17-2003, 05:08 AM   #116
    addvocate
    Inactive

addvocate HB User
    Tessa, My child has been on Straterra a bit more than 3 weeks. I have noticed the getting up earlier, earlier bedtimes and sometimes "power napping" during the day. There is definitely a different effect on the sleep cycle. Not really a concern as I feel it to be more "in tune" with their needs than with Adderal XR. Focus seems to be good, as we finally found something to CUT the impulsivity that propelled every thought & every move made during the day. I am spending A LOT more time in the kitchen preparing to meet the new appetite and life is good! Keep posting!

Old 02-17-2003, 06:20 AM   #117
    TessaTL

TessaTL HB User
    Advocate- Yes those are the same kind of things that we are sleeping. He has the flu now so I can't tell what is Strattera and what is the flu. I can see a huge difference with how he controls his impulses. You know my favorite thing though? Other kids teased him (especially older kids) because well honestly he seemed weird. I knew it was because he couldn't read their social clues. Since taking this he has slowed down enough to realize what the other person is doing or saying. He's such an amazing kid, and know others are seeing it as often as I did.

Old 02-17-2003, 06:25 AM   #118
    JeffRMom

JeffRMom HB User
    Talking

My son started on 18mg Strattera yesterday. He complained of dizziness about 3 hours later, then he said he was sleepy and nap for 2 hours in the afternoon (he hardly nap any more!). Around 7pm, he complained of slight headache but he said he does not need pain relief med. He was in very good mood and sweet as usual. One strange thing he did was that he turned off all the lights downstairs before he went upstairs to his room without being told, and he never care to do that before! He went to bed at the regualr time and he fell asleep very quickly. Most of the times, it takes him more than an hour to fall asleep. I will see what the teacher says today as he biggest problem is not able to complete his school work.

Old 02-17-2003, 08:13 AM   #119
    ILMOM3

My ADD daughter has done exceptional on this product she is 9 and started at 18mg then 25mg now she is at 40mg and getting very positive feed back from her teachers. She is also back to going to bed at a decent time and eating. My ADHD boy who is 11 is having about a 50/50 when rating his experience. As noted in earlier post he started at 25mg then 40mg now he is on his 5th day at 60mg. His sleep is great and he is eating. But is having a hard time seattling down. I do not want to give up on this medication but would like a curve from Tigger back to a Christopher Robin would be nice. And unfortunately that only takes place on stimulants. I am not giving up hope yet even though the teachers would like me to. Hopefully we can get results I know it is not over night like Concerta. Anyone else having a hard time decieding the pro and cons with this medication and weather to hold on or not?

Old 02-17-2003, 09:45 AM   #120
    laura6886

laura6886 HB User
    My son is 7 years old, and has ADHD. We have only tried Concerta. At first, Concerta was the answer to our prayers. Brandon went from barely being able to recognize the alphabet, to being able to read sight words in 3 weeks. Over time we have slowly increased the dose. He lost weight initially, and we have never gained it back, though he has grown over 2 inches in the past 6 months. We jsut took his dose to 36mg a day, and he is now having a paradoxical reaction. He is more hyper and inattentive than he was on nothing. We think that the next step is probably going to be straterra, because if concerta won't work, the other stimulants are worse when it comes to weight loss and tolerability. At least that is what the doctor says. I feel at the end, Brandon has gotten to the point in the past 2 weeks that he cannot even sit still during class and they have moved his chair off by himself. I do not want this to start affecting him socially. I have been reading the boards for just over 1 week now, and I think Straterra may be the answer. HELP

P.S. WHAT DOES P-DOC MEAN?:CONFUSED:

[This message has been edited by laura6886 (edited 02-17-2003).]

[This message has been edited by laura6886 (edited 02-17-2003).]

Closed Thread