It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• This supplement finally cured my acne!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-22-2002, 02:44 PM   #1
    help
    Inactive

help HB User
    This supplement finally cured my acne!

I've tried everything including accutane but i was never completely clear not bad but not perfect I started taking adrenal caps by : solaray all the other ingredients it's mixed with are just normal stress caps like gotu kola, licorice root, clove, and siberian ginseng; although I belive the main ingredient the adrenal (bovine) is my mystery cure, along with dlpa and tyrosine to aid as the precursor to dopamine and norepinephrine..
    I dunno but it's just me but I still belive CHRONIC acne is a skin disorder caused by the mind as the root cause. Chronic stress on the hypothalamus in the brain which in turn causes a hormonal imbalance...
    If anyone else also agrees search for Dr. Stoll and he talks about acne and that is the ROOT cause .....
    just a thought
    good luck<p>[This message has been edited by moderator2 (edited 03-22-2002).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2002, 07:13 PM   #2
    Crzyakta
    (male)

Crzyakta HB User
    Re: This supplement finally cured my acne!

interesting, where did you get it, whats the name of the pills?

thanks

Old 03-22-2002, 08:19 PM   #3
    Someperson

Someperson HB User

Thats definitly interesting. I almost abandoned all topical treatments. Im searching for a oral cure like b5, though my GNC brand aint working too weel. But i will try Zinc, i hear thats wicked good. Give me some more info on these types and how it worked please. Thanks alot, take it easy and nice job on finding your cure.

Old 03-23-2002, 07:20 AM   #4
    Crzyakta
    (male)

Crzyakta HB User

ditch the GNC brand, go for twinlabs, solgar or vitamin shopppe

Old 03-23-2002, 08:22 AM   #5
    Neil_7

Neil_7 HB User

Hello 'Help'

I am very interested in your experience. Both gianni and myself have mentioned Dr Stoll on this board on and off over the past year or so.

He claims that 'skilled relaxation' done for 20 mins twice a day is all that is needed to cure chronic acne. The root cause of acne, as you point out is a hormonal imbalance as a result of a stress build up on the hypothalamus. The skilled relaxation induces what Herbert Benson called the 'relaxation response' where the brain goes into the alpha frequency range and this stress build up slowly diminishes and the hormones come into balance.

Stoll believes any kind of meditation, if done correctly, can invoke this response. A whole foods diet and exercise can quicken results.

I have never had the discipline to do 2 sessions of SR a day over a long period, but there was someone on this board who tried it and claimed it cured her - Jenk I think, it may still be in the archives if you search for posts on Stoll. (Can you help here mod?).

However, the impression I get from reading your post is that you have found a supplement that has the same effect. That would be fantastic and a lot easier to do than commit to the SR. How long did it take for your acne to clear up, and were you also doing the skilled relaxation?

It is interesting how you also comment that acne is caused by 'the mind' - something we have discussed before. John Sarno belives that acne is simply something that is created by your own brain as a distraction to repressed emotions. It is an external manifestation of unhappy feelings. This perhaps explains why some people claim their acne improves when taking anti-depressants.

Old 03-23-2002, 08:33 AM   #6
    Bacne

Bacne HB User

How long have you been clear for?

Old 03-23-2002, 03:10 PM   #7
    Crzyakta
    (male)

Crzyakta HB User

help, are u still there?

Old 03-23-2002, 08:38 PM   #8
    Fuzz
    (male)

Fuzz HB User

that is very interesting cos i believe my acne was always caused by stress...

im interested to know what type of pills did u take? can any normal stress pills work?

Old 03-24-2002, 11:31 PM   #9
    help
    Inactive

help HB User

Ok everyone for those of you that don't remember me here's my scoop.....
    As you can see i'm a senior member and have been here for more than 2 years.
    I started getting chronic acne at the age of 21 just after breaking up with a long term relationship. At first i went to the derm was put on minocycline had no effect except make it worse over a period of time so i was pu ton accutane. i did a looooooooooooooooooong 6 months of accutane at the last few months at 80 mg accutane cleared me but i spiraled into a HORRIBLE depression. I KNOW this is from accutane .... I feel accutane is a good drug but it effects people differently. After accutane i started seeing psychiatrists for my SEVERe anxiety and depression accutane caused...i was but on zoloft it didnt really work all that great so i was switched to effexor this is about 4-6 months off accutane it started coming back mildly although i was feeling somewhat better. I then quit taking effexor and the acne starting getting worse. That's when i knew this was the cause but wasn't the right drug. At this time I also was diagnosed with ADD at the same time which also explained some of my attention issues throughout school. People withh ADD are very sensitive to the environment ,foods they eat, drugs they take, and etc....
    I'm wondering if this accutane mental disorders are in fact precursored by ADD or bi polar..
    Ok so back to the point my acne started getting much worse again after stopping effexor so logically i went back to the derm and put back on mino. It started getting much worse again a complete repeat of the year before... So he put me on a small dosage of accutane since i had so much trouble the first time. I was also having attention problems again so my psych now put me on wellbutrin it's normally a mild ad without effects on serotonin in the synapse. It purely effects dopamine , norepinephrine,and epinehrine. Attention was getting better but the longer the accutane was in my system it was actually counter acting the wellbutrin mentally so the psych raised my well butrin i was doing ok for a while till the derm up my accutane from 20mg to 30mg. My concentration/motivation was getting horrible again i started failing tests and my psych said she couldnt raise the wellbutrin anymore. I said you know what screw this im not gonna screw up school cause of sh*t anymore i already accumulated a C on my transscript due to accutane and that was not going to happen again.
    I was reading on the internet about adrenal caps good for add since ADDers have a low stress tollerance. Stress hormones are regulated by the thalamus which "talks" to the hypothalamus . The hypothalamus is what controls hormones in your body. When your stressed out multiple things are effected....cortisol levels , insulin, and all hormones are thrown out of balance due to the hypothalamus "telling the body " to pump out higher levels of whichever hormone your body needs to cope. There are MULITPLE theorys by various microbiologist/biologists stating that cancer is caused by chronic stress! That off the subject though.
    So anyway back to the point once i stopped taking accutane the higher dosage of wellbutrin kicked in FULL force i felt great and my acne was minimized by 90% i couldnt believe it.... So about a month went by still the acne was minimal but not gone. I knew my hypothalamus needed some extra support so I started taking the adrenal caps oh my god ! gone....all of it!!!
    So my conclusion is ALL CHRONIC acne is caused by an abundance of stress on the hypothalamus... If you have chroinc anxiety you can't really tell how much is overexerting the hypothalamus... I believe this is why people grow out of acne because over time you start to slowwwwwwwwly relax slowly but surely over years and you finally out grow it because all the subconcious/chronic un noticed stress is unreleased from the hypothalamus. I also believe this is why accutane works it's biologically damaging your sebaceous glands so your acne goes away for the time being if you think your acne is gone and done with it will be!; although i believe my acne came back after accutane due to this message board and various websites of people saying they needed a 2nd and third course of accutane; which in trun, my negative thinking took over and i of course foolishly knew i was gonna be one of those people who needed antoher course. This added to more anxiety on the hypo and in turn my acne came back after accutane. If i would of just listened to my derm when he said that accutane would CURE my acne and didn't no any better (went happy it's done and over with go lucky) i almost 100% believe it would have never came back.
    All this is that i believe is from long crueling years/months/days/hours of doing my OWN research and not doing the ONLY traditional synthesized pharmaceutical medicine. I completely believe in DR.STOLL 100% and i believe the way he talks about skilled relaxation is the way to relieve the chronic stress on the hypothalamus permanently... Although this cannot EVER be achieved for acne or skin problems in my situation unless you locked yourself in the house 24-7 until it was achieved.. Just think you are doing the skilled relaxation 20 min twice a day but you go to work or school and someone makes a comment about your face or you see someone with bad acne scars and think man thats gonna be what i look like 5 years form now or you see someone with clear skin and get down and out and more stressed out...It would be a constant ping pong game. So i believe MEDICINE AND supplements are the ONLY answer along with SKILLED relaxation... The medicine is to help and by time and artifically balance your mind/body while the skilled relaxation is working to PERMANENTLY balance your brain. Another complication with skilled relaxation is it's just down right hard...... LOL especially for me since i have add i hear everything that goes on so for me to try hard and meditiate to block out everything and relax is twice as hard for me ....BUT i'm getting better and yes it works it just takes time.... Just think how often does someone wake up with zero acne to severe acne the next morning ? It doesn't happen! You gradually get worse because of the accumulation on the hypothalamus so the only way to counter act is SR to gradually get better. So in conclusion, i believe you need to take medicine for acne, just not conventional acne INTERNAL medicine antibiotics and such. I personally think people with CHRONIC acne (as opposed to normal acne a whitehead here and there) need to go with the antidepressants/antianxiety meds if they so believe morally and biologically about taking them... I mean if you take accutane why not try a med to fix the ROOT cause of acne.
    ANother thing i'ved noticed i've never seen someone who acutally lives (as opposed to trying to or putting on a show) but you can tell someone who is actually "happy go lucky" i mean the way you feel after meeting a new girlfriend that feeling . I'ved never seen anyone who is like that almost 24-7 just happy with acne period much less chronic mild/mod/severe. I mean never have i once seen a single zit on these people... Honestly do you believe that's pure genetics? cmon they have the same bacteria in they're skin...it's all about what starts the skin abnormality /disorder...
    anyway i wrote abook here..
    So i'll say i believe in DR. STOll not just 100% but 110% !
    so this is what i take internally which is alot but it works and has been for the past few months.

A.M.
    2000 mg of fishoil with the highest dha/epa concentrate
    2000mg A.M. 4000 M.G. P.m. total of 6000 mg for me thats a total of 12 pills daily !

(feuls the brain balances temporal lobe activity and thins sebum for the skin )
    Multiple studies done on fish oil and it's wonder abilities especially a huge clinical trial at HARVARD.
    1000 mg of dlpa twice daily(right and left chain phenylalanine, precursor to endorhin neurotransmitters)
    500mg of L-tyrosine twice daily(precursor of dopamine/norepi/epi neurotransmitters)
    200mg of phosphyitadyl serine twice daily( controls inisitol and is a naturally occuring phospholipid and is a presursor to multiple neurotransmitters)
    150mg of wellbutrin twice daily(antidepressant with mulitple receptor action)
    ---ADRENAL CAPS two pills twice daily 340mg of bovine most inportant ingredient.
    total efa by health from the sun one pill am one pm
    viamin e 400i.u. twice daily
    1000mg vit c twice daily

I've takin this vitamin regimen for over 7 months now religously and have seen very promising results not just for skin but overall brain and daily function.
    damn im tired now...lol
    hope this helps

lates

Old 03-24-2002, 11:52 PM   #10
    help
    Inactive

help HB User

OH YEAH !!!
    another thing i forgot ...
    Yes the alpha,theta,there's a couple more but i forget which ones are 100% true. And yes the hypothalamus does effect these brain waves ... You can balance hormones by this even more effectively and quicker one way is call bioneurofeedback. Psychologist have these machine and each session costs a GRIP!!!!!
    You can by personal machines that you wear on your head for much cheaper though about 500 bucks ... Search the web i forget what they're called and there is a couple of companies that make very good ones...
    What these do is you acutally monitor your brain waves and when you meditate or practice SR same sh*t you can acutally find the relaxatoin point on proper wave activity then practice on getting your brain waves to that level each time....
    I never did but i should ask Dr.Stoll which one he recommends as the best bang for your buck...

In my opinion dermatology is a cop out to becoming a doctor.... Very low responsibility and aren't really helping too much..
    It's amazing what you can do with your mind.
    Just think your mind controls everything about you...
    That's why alot of peoples acne is affected by diet...
    If you actually learn and disclipline yourself to eat according to your DNA you don't need any synthetic drugs or supplements.
    just a thought ,
    good luck
    lates

Old 03-25-2002, 02:37 AM   #11
    help
    Inactive

help HB User

crazyakta :

I bought them at a health food store called atrista's nutrition but any nutrition store will have them.
    Check at GNC i'm taking the brand solgar.
    Just remember that's brand names DO matter with vitamins/supplements.

Old 03-25-2002, 10:22 AM   #12
    Neil_7

Neil_7 HB User

Very interesting posts Help

I have also been around this board since the end of 2000, shortly after I came off a 6 month course of accutane. I had starting visiting sites like these and saw of people that needed several courses and became convinced that I would too. Sure enough, just a couple of weeks after I finished, the acne started coming back, slowly but surely. I agree with you, if I had believed my derm when he said it would cure me for good, it probably would have.

I started reading posts about B5, and then took it for all of last year, and together with diet modifications, this cleared me after 4 months, but I had to stop the B5 as it was over-drying and made me feel constantly tired and I was worried about its long term effects.

This year I have been trying the antioxidant route, although living in the UK it is hard as we have so few vitamin shops, so I have to order everything over the net which has really high shipping charges. My acne is only mild really but I am a perfectionist.

Then I started reading posts about Sarno and how he believes that acne is just a physical manifestation of a build up of subconscious negative thinking, and I realised that I could actually be worsening my problem by reading these boards! His theory tied in somewhat with Walt Stoll's, but I never had the discipline to do SR. Now I may try some stress supplements and see how they go.

Old 03-25-2002, 11:16 AM   #13
    Crzyakta
    (male)

Crzyakta HB User

Help, thanks for the tip, I really think you are right, but I think other effects play a role too, but horomones being by far the biggest, I am positive that food and pollution also play a major role...

One question I must ask is this, was your skin ever oily before? and how is it now?

And i know the many wonders of fish oils, but are the mandatory to get this synergistic effect? wellbutrin and the adrenal caps did it for you?

Old 03-25-2002, 11:29 AM   #14
    Crzyakta
    (male)

Crzyakta HB User

also how does sex, thinking about it, girls, and school effect your skin? they used to make me always break out! now i try not to think too much of them, at least till summer, but ITS HARD! In summer I really believed B5 would work great for me, and you know what? It did, then as school started and exams, college (im 18, first year), girls again...then I had breakouts again, and tried getting off B5 to go on pantethine, BIG mistake, I guess the horomones kicked in full swing then and hammered my body and caused much oxidation leading to terrible cysts at that time (mid nov-dec 01')

during school time, my heart is always racy, always beating fast, and I am not really nervous but it feels like i am?? And I also can get a short as hell attention span in school sometimes, even though I know I am usualy always capable of A level work (especially wen I am relaxed, like typing a paper at home...always gets me an A--even in honors/AP courses), do I have acute ADD? or anxiety disorders? my mom has high blood pressure and had bad acne as a teenager to her early twenties, same with my dad, especially wen he came to america in the early 70's...any links? what test can I get done to check for ADD/ other brain disorders? thanks!

Old 03-25-2002, 11:31 AM   #15
    Crzyakta
    (male)

Crzyakta HB User

Also, you mentioned you take it from a brand from solgar, but before you said solary which one, and whats the name on the front? thanks again!

PS I have a constant butterfly in the stomach feel, total stress increaser! How to get rid of that crap?!

Closed Thread