It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Adult with ADD (Strattera)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-08-2003, 07:19 PM   #1
    Bobynn

Bobynn HB User
    Post Adult with ADD (Strattera)

Hi,
    I am new to this board, I am trying to learn as much as possible about Strattera as I have just begun taking it. My doctor gave me one of the sample boxes. He said nothing about weight having anything to do with the dosage. He also told me that Strattera did not need to build up in my system to work, that I would know in a few days if was working. After reading the many posts here it doesn't sound like I have been properly informed.

- I am wondering if any other ADD adults here:

1. who have trouble being fully awake are taking strattera and what it has been like for them?
    2. have swiched from dexadrine or adderall to strattera?
    3. have found that strattera takes a few hours to kick in, after continued use or does one end up more alert in the morning after continued use even before the days pill has kicked in?
    4. have found burping to be a side effect.? It certainly seems to be related.

So far I am on day three of the beginning dose which is 25mg which will go up to 40mg. How long does one stay on that dose? Is weight always a factor in the dose? Because I certainly weigh more than 85lbs.

I was taking dexadrine which was very effective. I changed doctors and he immediately suggested strattera because it easier to write the RXs.

I felt sick the first day. I am constantly thirsty, burping gas, and tired- so far, I am not impressed. I do not need a medication to increase my tiredness. Last night I was in bed 11 hours. The night before 9 hours. I did not wake up rested. Within 5 hours I was yawning and ready for sleep again. I am groggy by nature until 10:30 or 11:00 AM. After that I am more awake but very distractable. Short acting dexadrine brought me to the fully alert state within half an hour of taking it. It made my days so much less hectic. I was getting things started and finished. Wow that felt great!! I remembered what people said to me 10 minutes earlier. Let me tell you it relieved a lot of stress. I found I was attempting things that I had avoided for years out of fear of not being able to follow through and finish. I was sleeping better and waking up rested on dexadrine.

I need to be alert in the morning to get myself up, the dog and the cat taken care of, and me to work on time. From what I am reading the Strattera will take hours to kick in. Will this not be the case once I am taking it every day? Kids need to be alert when they start school, But I have to be alert if I want to keep my job.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2003, 07:43 PM   #2
    Susi
    Inactive

Susi HB User
    Wow, I think your doctor really has not done his research. First of all, I think your dosage is way too low. My 65 pound 7 year old son is on 40 mg. The dosage formula according to the manufacturer is the following: your weight divided by 2.2, multiply result by 1.2 = mg of Strattera you should take. According to the manufacturer you should start on a low dose for 4 days, then after four days go up to your target dose (which is depending on your weight as described above). Strattera takes up to four weeks to build up in your system before it fully kicks in and supposedly lasts 24 hours. Our doctor recommended to keep giving Adderall along with Strattera (or in your case your stimulant medicine) for three weeks (to give Strattera time to build up, but for my son not to have problems in school), and then decrease Adderall dosage in half for one week, and then stop and only take Strattera. Unfortunately after 7 weeks my son has not shown any improvement on Strattera and we are giving up and go back to Adderall. From what I am seeing on other boards, adults usually take 80 mg.

[This message has been edited by Susi (edited 03-08-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Susi (edited 03-08-2003).]

Old 03-08-2003, 08:09 PM   #3
    Bobynn

Bobynn HB User
    Susie, what other boards are you reading? This is the only one I found when I did a search on Strattera?

Closed Thread