It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Strattera & Zoloft

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-06-2003, 01:18 PM   #1
    walleyek

walleyek HB User
    Post Strattera & Zoloft

I am new to this board. Our son is 10 years old (75 lbs) and has been taking Adderall (10 mg) along with Zoloft (50 mg) for the past 3 years. His main problems are impulsivity and depression. He was diagnosed with ADHD four years ago. Our psychiatrist just recommended we try Strattera, as we've had growing concerns about his sleeping and eating habits. Our ped prescribed a starter dose of 25 mg for 4 days, moving to 40 mg after that. Before we begin, I'd like to feel comfortable about the combination of Strattera and Zoloft. Does anyone know of adverse effects of these two together? Should we be weaning him off the Zoloft entirely. Our ped has little experience in this area. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2003, 04:04 PM   #2
    tourettesgirl

tourettesgirl HB User
    My father has currently switched from zoloft and wellbutrin to straterra only. As far as i understand it, straterra is not an anti-depressant, though i could be mistaken. He also has add and impulsivity and depression and a list that goes on and on, yet straterra seems to be doing great things for him. I have yet to try it.
    If zoloft has worked for him, yet you'd like to try something different, my brother takes Lexapro, which is related to Celexa (i went through that in a month. it wasn't strong enough.)
    Definitely consult your doctor, and get as many opinions as possible. I know that i am currently taking 200 mg of zoloft a day, which is an very high dosage, and that i am soon going to be looking into straterra.
    Above all else, i would like to say one thiing that i wish my parents and doctors had followed.
    Listen to your son. He will know whether his meds are working or not, and whether he wants to be on them or not, etc. He may even know what he wants to try next.
    Sorry for the long winded response.

Old 03-12-2003, 01:18 PM   #3
    walleyek

walleyek HB User
    My son is only on Day 4 of the Strattera/Zoloft combination. His 4th grade teacher at school says he's been extremely on-task and helpful in the classroom. I realize the jury's still out, but my son is showing improvement already. I'll keep the forum updated -- would appreciate other experiences with kids roughly 10 years old/80 lbs.

Closed Thread