It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Please, I need help - Dermatologists have ruined my face

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-26-2002, 04:08 PM   #1
    sheastadium

sheastadium HB User
    Please, I need help - Dermatologists have ruined my face

Dear friends,

I want to share with you my horrible experiences dealing with dermatologists. I also would like to know if anyone has experienced this before.

I've had acne for 10 years now since I was 14. I'm alomst 24 now. And when I was in high school, I took retin-A and it made my skin completely break out and I was on it for 6 months and it never got better. I had very minor acne before then and I just became a zitface afterwards. I stopped using it and used over-the-counter products but I have not fully recovered since then.

My acne was under control until 2 months ago when I was drinking a lot every weekend and I was getting big breakouts from it. I went to a dermatologist again and she prescribed me Azelex and Erythromycin lotion and minocyclin. To my shock, less than a week after I took this, my face completely broke out into a rash and lots and lots of small pimples. i went back to the doctor and she said that it was working bc all the big ones were gone. And I put my faith in her. But to this day (2 months later) I have still not recovered back to where I was before I went to the doctor. I went back to her again recently and I was really, really shocked that she would say to me that it was because I am under a lot of stress because that is completely false. i am under no unusual stress at all. It was obvious that it was the medication that ruined my skin because just DAYS after starting to take it, my face just completely broke out. Since then i stopped using the initial medicine and have taken Differin regularly for 2 weeks now. It is slowly getting better, but I must reiterate slowly.

I am shocked at this dermatologist how she would not take any responsibility for how this medicine had ruined my face. It has really destroyed my life. And the worst part of it all is that the derm cannot help me. She is blaming it on stress when i have had no unusual stress whatsoever.

I am very frustrated and wonder how she could play me for such a fool like that. If she gives me something that my skin has a bad reaction to, then i would hope she would take some responsibility for it. but she does not.

I would like to ask the forum whether anyone has ever had an experience like this where something was prescribed to you and it made your skin completely break out. If so, what did you do? Please, I need help.

Thanks,
    Jay

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2002, 04:41 PM   #2
    KC Lee

KC Lee HB User
    Re: Please, I need help - Dermatologists have ruined my face

Hey sorry to hear about that. I can understand where you are coming from. This is the exact reason why I have sworn off dermatologists forever. Not one of the precriptions I have been given have worked for me. I feel that for me, I can control it better on my own. I use skin care products specifically formulated to help acne and take supplements to help keep my body healthy.
    As far as her attitude goes, that isn't cool. In her defense a little though, doctors can only "guess" in a way. They don't know you personally and can only give you what they feel will be best by looking at you for a few minutes. They aren't with you everyday to see how the medication effects you individually. But, she could have been more simpathetic and offered you some advice. Sounds like she is kind of cold.
    But, it seems like you have very sensitive skin and need to be as gentle as possible. Also, stop drinking. I too noticed that I break out more when I drink a lot. It's hard but, alcohol isn't good for you anyway. It was hard for me to stop drinking because I just turned 21 but, I did it. Now when I go out, I'm the designated driver. I like Diet Coke better anyway!!!! Take care!

Old 05-26-2002, 07:08 PM   #3
    Bobbi

Bobbi HB User

Jay, sorry too about your experience. And KC is right - doctors don't (can't) really know more than you do about you - particularly with skin which reacts differently in many people (of course they can never admit it - the blind faith we put on them is what gives them their power, and in a way sometimes the blind faith is what heals us not the medicine - you know how you feel better sometimes just because you went to see a doctor?) Anyway, since you now know what you know - be proactive about healing yourself - as KC says, quit drinking (I did for the same reason)- you're lucky you know some of what's causing you breakouts - don't wait on the doctor - she doesn't understand what you go through with a face full of zits!

Old 05-27-2002, 01:09 PM   #4
    sheastadium

sheastadium HB User

Thanks for your replies guys. I am just puzzled that my skin was not that bad and doctors made it 10 times worse and they will not take the responsibility for it.

I will gut it out with differin for a while. Thanks.

Old 05-27-2002, 03:22 PM   #5
    gobbleduck
    (female)

gobbleduck HB User

I think it's a good idea to stick it out with the differin. I broke out horribly when I first started using it, but my derm warned me that I would. It took about 3 months for me to see good results, and another couple after that before all the red splotches were gone. But it was worth it. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with your doctor, but unfortunately that seems to be pretty common. I tried 4 dermatologists before I found one that listened to me and helped me. Good luck.

Closed Thread