It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• I had the subcision/excision done today!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-31-2002, 07:08 AM   #31
    merlynne12
    Inactive

merlynne12 HB User
    Re: I had the subcision/excision done today!

Ok, I'm getting more and more depressed. The scars are still sunken. In fact, I think they look worse. They're bigger and seem deeper than before. WHAT THE HE!! HAPPENED????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2002, 02:46 PM   #32
    AnnabelleC

AnnabelleC HB User

When I had my subcission done, I was told that my doctor that not a lot of doctors in the US are experienced with the procedure. He did also mention to me that the point is to go deep enough into the skin's dermis to stimulate the production of collagen, once the collagen is stimulated there is no reason why the scar should not raise. Maybe your doctor did not go deep enough to stimulate the collagen, so once the sutures were removed the scars went bak to normal (or in your case worse). Just a theory!

I can tell from your posts you are really discouraged, but it seems you are looking into other prospects, I hope you eventually get your desired results.

Old 05-31-2002, 05:00 PM   #33
    Crzyakta
    (male)

Crzyakta HB User

I think she only had sutures on the excised scars, right?

Old 05-31-2002, 05:29 PM   #34
    merlynne12
    Inactive

merlynne12 HB User

Yes, sutures on excisions.

Old 07-16-2002, 11:47 AM   #35
    leopolda

leopolda HB User

Hello. I am just wondering how the subcisions are doing? I am going in for subcision in the beginning of August, and I'm excited, but trying not to get my hopes up too much--you can't be disappointed if your expectations are somewhat low, right? Also, my doctor told me that with subcision, you are detaching the indented skin from the tissue underneath, creating a space for your skin to produce collagen naturally to fill in the gap. That's all to say that even though the initial result may be a temporary swelling that looks great, but then subsides, it takes a few months to see the real results because it takes your body at least that much time to create the needed collagen. He also said that if it doesn't work the first time, the can re-do the subcision coupled with an injection (collagen, fat, whatever) to boost the process.
    Even though I'm trying hard not to get my hopes us, I am excited. I'm excited just that I've finally taken a first step to correct these stupid scars. I'm getting married next summer and am already thinking forward to the outside sun-lit pictures...

Old 07-16-2002, 01:40 PM   #36
    merlynne12
    Inactive

merlynne12 HB User

Leopolda,

Hi! You're right. It does take awhile to see the results. They scars were much more noticeable at first because they were so deep (sorry, not trying to scare you...) after the procedure.

So, essentially, by Dr. was correct in not being concerned. It's the lack of information that bothers me now. He didn't mention that it would take this long to see results,nor did he see concerned with *MY* concern. I realize he must do this type of thing all the time, but I don't.

They look much better now. They're slowly raising up and are much shallower than before. I also started using Mederma a week or two after the stitches were out. I didn't ask him about it, but he didn't recommend against it, either. It's an OTC that's good for existing scar improvement. I figured it couldn't hurt. The smaller tube cost $15-18, and the bigger one is closer to $30, I think.

I'm getting my laser in less than two weeks. I'm excited to see what that will do to improve things even further (had one before in '97). If i remember correctly, not only does the laser slough off the top layer of skin, I think it also promotes new collagen growth.

Best of luck to you, and congratulations on your engagement!

Old 07-17-2002, 06:53 AM   #37
    blueeyedbia
    Inactive

blueeyedbia HB User

Merylnne

What kind of results did are you now seeing??? Are you getting the laser to help smooth out your skin???

Old 07-18-2002, 04:29 PM   #38
    leopolda

leopolda HB User

Merlynne--

Thanks for updating your progress--it sounds as though it worked out well for you in the end. I'm glad. I'm excited for my appointment and will update the list with my progress. And I will remember your experience and try not to jump the gun and let myself get depressed if I don't see immediate results.

_Leo

Closed Thread