It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• I saw a Cosmetic surgeon today. he said DERMABRASION is the answer?? is it?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-24-2002, 06:47 PM   #1
    JamieMadrox

JamieMadrox HB User
    I saw a Cosmetic surgeon today. he said DERMABRASION is the answer?? is it?

hey as you know that i have scheduled 3 appointments for consultation of my acne scars.... today i saw a cosmetic surgeon... i'm going see an aesthecian with 20 years experience this saturday...and then on tuesday i'll see a dermatologist specializing in acne scarring this tuesday... anyway, here's what happened when i saw the cosmetic surgeon today...

--- well, first of all he walks in and he asks me what was wrong... and i told him that i had acne scarring on my cheeks and he said, "oh yeah...you definately do..".....and his room had 4 windows where the sun was shinning in (i was screwed!!)...hee hee...then i asked if chemical peels or microdermabrasion could help my acne scarring and then he said, "not at all!".... i was kinda ****** when he said that.. then he told me that dermabrasion was the best option for me....and then he told me that dermabrasion was basically where they froze your skin and took a diamond like spinning wheel and they scrape your skin all the way down do your dermis.. (basically like the red and pinkness under the skin)...basically he said that it's like scrapping your knee... he told me that my skin will be red for like 10 days...and new skin will grow... he said the microderm and the chemical peels are very superficial..... he then said that people expect 50 percent better results with their skin...he said it'll cost me $1200 . i left kinda confused.... i mean, the thing is that his office performed microdermabrasions and chemical peels for like 100-200 dollars....if he really wanted to he could have suggested i get those and make just as much money cause i planned to get enough until my skin showed improvement (and i was willing to get as many as needed!!!).....but the other thing is that maybe he is just saying that because he knew that 5 microderm treatmetns around 500 dollars would have given the same results as one dermabrasion which is 1200 dollars.... i dunno.... but i kinda liked what i heard about dermabrasion... it sounds really harsh... i guess it's like the rubbing your skin till it's raw method, except here it's more smooth and more controlled...but still dermabrasion sounds harsh....i mean, i asked if there will be hyperpigmentation or additional scarring with this procedure and he said not likely.....but then he said nothing is guaranteed when it comes ot the face..but if you think about it...there is new skin beneath the face and i just got to get to that level....i dont want to get rid of the superficial layers .. i want to go to the root of hte problem , which is much lower... i dunno.. i'm confused... i'm going to go see an aesthecian with 20 years experience this saturday so i'll let her know what this guy told me and i'll let you know what she said.... but it's kinda cool getting consultations right now cause it's giving me options.. i am sick of wasting my money on creams that wont really do anything......so what do you guys think/? HAS ANYBODY had DERMABRASION? did it help?? by the way, i asked about all the lasers and he told me that it'll cost more money and i'll get more chance of scarring and it'll cost more money (he did have the cool touch laser in his office).....maybe he is giving me his best advice...he also said that he prefers if the patient has been off accutane for 2 years... (it helps the skin heal)...he said between 1-2 years is ok....i have been off accutane for over a year now and i'll probably wait until this fall to get this procedure... i'll have enough money i think... he also said that i could get as many microderm and chemical peels i want before this treatment so maybe i'll get a couple of microderm and chemical peels and see if it's helping out...if it is, then i'll forget the idea of getting dermabrasion cause it's money down the drain... i just hate wasting all that money...maybe the peels and the microderm won't even work!!! maybe i should just get the derm and save some money... i dunno...im so confused..so basically let me know what you think.. and please if anybody has ever had DERMABRASION, please let us know about it ...like did it show some improvement?? what is the downtime?? etc!!!.... thanks!! i might post asking about dermabrasion later... but i'll definately post what the aesthecian says on saturday.....well seeya later!! good luck to all

- jamie..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2002, 09:29 PM   #2
    JamieMadrox

JamieMadrox HB User
    Re: I saw a Cosmetic surgeon today. he said DERMABRASION is the answer?? is it?

by the way, have you heard if dermabrasion gets rid of the red marks?? i forgot to ask the surgeon if it does...he said that it'll help 50 percent with the scarring...what about red marks? crap.. i should have asked.. i guess it does...oh well

-jamie

Old 01-25-2002, 10:10 AM   #3
    calredhead

calredhead HB User

Have you tried a good product with Glycolic in it? Its suppose to be as effective but much less expensive.
    Try Peter Thomas Roth products....they are based in New York. Look into it before you spend all that money...and go through all the drama of having your face tortured.

Old 01-26-2002, 11:56 PM   #4
    barbiedoll_fl

barbiedoll_fl HB User

Dermabrasion is a very harsh and invasive procedure. What about lasers?? (erbium and CO2??)

Also, there is a kind of laser called "Die-Lite" not sure if spelled like this, but that is used for any sort of broken blood vessels and redness. I have not done it myself, but I have heard good things about it.

Old 01-27-2002, 08:19 AM   #5
    U4IA

U4IA HB User

I had dermabrasions on my face (twice) and I still have acne scars on my cheeks, forhead and between my eyes. I am not sure that I would go through that again if given a choice. The recovery from the procedure is awful. My skin was very red for months after and unfortunately I had cysts underneath the skin which left me with some worse scars in the area between my eyes.

I would give Mederma a try before I spent the money and time on a dermabrasion. I have had success with Mederma reducing the redness of my face and softening the indentations so that they look much less obvious. It is a slow process so you must be patient when using Mederma.

Old 01-27-2002, 11:04 AM   #6
    calredhead

calredhead HB User

What is MEDERMA?

Old 01-27-2002, 11:27 AM   #7
    JamieMadrox

JamieMadrox HB User

your right, dermabrasion sounds a bit harsh!! i think the surgeon was more interested in making money than anything else.... my scarring isn't that bad to begin with... but he made it seem like it was hte end of the world... anyway, i can't do lasers cause i have brown skin.......so that sucks for me... even if i was white, i dont know if i would do lasers anyway cause i can't afford it and i dunno, i think i'll be scared of the lasers.. i'm gonna do microdermabrasion and the peels method first... it's 2002 , time to put up or shut up, you know?? and if you don't know what mederma is, it's this cream they sell at WALMART (ask the pharmacist, it's usally behind the counter...)..anyway it costs aobut 20 bucks per tube and it claims to help with acne scarring... trust me, i dont think it works.......maybe you do need time..... i tried mederma but was impatient.... i want new collagen to be stimulated and grow and help with the acne scarring....mederma is ok, but i dont have time.. i have a huge wedding this december and i have to look at least good in the sunlight... i dont care if i get a 20 percent improvemt.... i would even settle for a 10 percent improvement now!! well good luck

Old 03-01-2002, 01:38 AM   #8
    FelineSin1

FelineSin1 HB User

According to my derm- if you want new collagen to be stimulated, topical vitamin C is the most natural/safe/effective way to go.

Old 03-01-2002, 09:06 AM   #9
    loubug

loubug HB User

JamieMadrox, waht type af scarring do you have. There is this procedure that is done here in California. There is saline solution injected into the skin to raise the scar. You might want to look into it. You could find out more about it on this board under the the tpic "Finally Real Help for Indents and Scars". I personally went for a cosultation and had my firs treatment and will post it under this topic later, because I'm at wotk right now and I got to go.

Old 03-01-2002, 09:15 AM   #10
    Mr.Confuse

Mr.Confuse HB User

hi, where can i get tropical vitamin c, and how does it work? is that a pill?

Old 03-01-2002, 09:18 AM   #11
    Mr.Confuse

Mr.Confuse HB User

hi Jamie, i have brown skin too, but all my scars have turned dark brown, none red. did any of your scars turn dark brown? if so, how did you lighten them? i am thinking of trying microdermabrasion for them, because hydroquinone is not working, i am have been using it for one month now!

Old 03-03-2002, 09:54 AM   #12
    toskinnapat

toskinnapat HB User

Dear Jamie.

I am a first-time poster. Lately I've been searching for options to minimizing my acne scarring as well as needing to reduce the cysts below the obvious skin layer. I thoroughly enjoyed reading you post as I could identify with your frustration. You want these scars fixed NOW and with the least pain and money--I do too. So I approach the problem this way:

My first stop was to the Binky Derm to find out his opinion for getting rid of the scars. And also, what to do to get rid of the tiny cysts that still inflame. What good is it to invest in the final touches if one good cyst that explodes can destroy all that effort?

Binky Derm had NO idea about repairing scars and said it would have to handled by a plastic surgeon. Well, I'm not going to a surgeon until the cysts are under control. So, Binky Derm gave me the obligatory Rx for a topical antiboitic (I adamantly REFUSE and strenuously object to oral antibiotics for treating acne). By God, these derms will get an antibiotic prescribed if it kills me!

Binky Derm couldn't even suggest any of the peels to begin to reduce scarring. I had to go online to learn more about the peels, went to the bookstore to buy a book on skin care and cosmetic surgery and have stumbled onto this wonderful Healthboard. (I've had an excellent time reading the Old Guy's posts on BHT.)

At this stage of my Pursuit for Perfect, Pockless Skin, I have started a series of 6 microdermabrasions, with glycolic acid peels and then after I've completed these, I'll maintain what I've accomplished with monthly peels. I do not expect to get the final results with these peels. I fully expect I'll have to find someone who does laser resurfacing.

Which is why I'm surprised that the plastic surgeon was pushing dermabrasion. Everything I've read so far on the Internet about this procedure indicates this is quickly becoming outmoded and laser resurfacing is proving to be much more specific to deeper scars. Do you know if he was able to do CO2 laser or is he able to do the erbium and Cool Touch lasers? These are supposedly "friendlier"; less down time than dermabrasion and CO2.

Within the year, I will be moving to the next step of repairing the acne scars--laser--but in the meantime, I'm going to work on the cysts with the information gleaned from Old Guy's post. I've been reading a lot about the use of pantothenic acid for remedying cystic skin. I can't wait! Regards, Pat Brown

Closed Thread