It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• strattera - fourth week

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-06-2003, 02:41 PM   #16
    adhhhd

adhhhd HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by jay22:
    Even 25mg/day while helping with my adhd symptoms caused prostate related problems.

I had some weird stuff happen as well.

I'm surprised a dose of 25mg had an effect, is it possible the effects of the higher dose remains for weeks after use? Do you take an SSRI?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2003, 06:06 PM   #17
    jay22

jay22 HB User
    Could be.. The effects were not as good as in higher dosage.But still helpful. Iam taking wellbutrin sr 200/day. which is not a SSRI as such..

Old 04-10-2003, 10:19 AM   #18
    Rob37

Rob37 HB User
    All these post's really help, keep them comming!
    I was just DX a month ago. I started with Concerta (18mg)It made me very productive instead of my usual procrastination. Im also an anxious person and so this made that a little worse. I am now on Stattera (40mg)for 4 days and on my 7th day at (80mg). I have noticed the following: Very sleepy for the first 3 or 4 days and sleep well at night. When urinating the last drops don't stop like normal and there is a warm/burrning sensation. Not to mention my wife asks me why I don't initiate sex anymore. My drive is down and I also get a pain upon ejaculating, then subsides. I now sleep with one eye open since (80mg). This one will sound unusual but does anyone feel like there is pressure on their head (not a headache) almost as if your wearing a tight hat/helmet? All in all i think I am much more moody and dont think as clearly as with Concerta. I'll try this a little longer although I think Concerta with a beta-blocker(Tenormin) would be better for me. ADD w/ anxiety.
    POST-ON Dudes................

Old 04-11-2003, 12:27 AM   #19
    roux

roux HB User
    Rob37,

I am having the exact same symptoms as you. I have only been using Strattera for four days now. I was concerned when I stated to have these symptoms and my doctor had no idea that I could have this type of reaction. I have a burning sensation at the end of urination and also pain during ejaculation. My sex drive has also been effected and noticed by my wife. For me, it was the second day that I had these symptoms. I was pretty sure that it was as a result of taking this drug. Have you had any side effects with Concerta? I am frustrated because I feel that the Strattera has helped a lot with my level of concentration and motivation. I have to find something that works with this type of reaction. This is a quote that I found on the Adult males on Strattera message board. The authorís name was jkil22:
    Hi.
    Was wondering if any Adult males on Stattera have had any side effects? (Please only Adult Males share your experences with Stattera thanks)
    Also this was posted before and there was never a follow up, anyone know anymore about this...
    "The drug Strattera has a very interesting behaviour. It has a short half life in plasma - something like 3 hrs - but it accumulates in the brain because it has a strong affinity for lipids. What the package insert doesn't tell you is that semen has a high lipid content so Stratera accumulates in the male reproductive tract. I think that Strattera will be just about useless for any male past puberty because it makes the male reproductive system dysfunctional."
    Let me know what you think. Thanks for the posted messages! It helps!

Old 04-11-2003, 12:40 AM   #20
    CanadianConvict

CanadianConvict HB User

Old 04-11-2003, 02:23 AM   #21
    calla
    (female)

calla HB User
    I didn't realize that Strattera was partly an SSRI when my doctor prescribed it to me. I am already taking Celexa without much benefit, so I don't know why she felt the need to give me a drug that has additional SSRI in it. I would have preferred trying Concerta or Adderal. Also, I believe that the SSRI component is probably the main one that causes the sexual dysfunction...do you guys agree? Celexa has already reduced my libido to zero. I am on day #1 of Strattera - do you think I can drop Celexa since Strattera already has the SSRI component in it? I am taking 20mg of Celexa. I am a 40yo woman.

Thanks,
    Calla.

Old 04-11-2003, 06:21 AM   #22
    Rob37

Rob37 HB User
    Roux: Concerta made me feel just like on three cups of coffee of which I am already sensitive to one. The sleeplessness and appetite loss are a tiny bit more than Straterra. Im the type of guy that focuses too much on whats expected of me work/home/etc... so I felt like my pulse was beeting much faster and possible blood pressure effects, which is why I might try the beta blocker w/ Concerta. I don't want to spoil anyone's good results from Straterra but for me I dont like my motivation results as compared to STRA.
    and I dont think I can live with the effects it has on me sextually.

CALLA: Straterra is a norepinepherine re-uptake inhibitor not seratonin as in the term SSRI(selective seratonin re-uptake inhibitor). I have tried Prozac 3 years ago and it had similar effects as STRA. but without the pain when ejaculating. I think the best thing for you is to get as much info about the drugs and what they do like in the book "Driven to distraction" then you can make a good judgment for yourself. Dont think these Docs have all the answers. It is people like us who go on these things and are the best judge of the effects. Hang in there.....

Old 04-11-2003, 06:53 AM   #23
    calla
    (female)

calla HB User
    Rob37,
    With SSRIs, the sexual side-effects eventually subside somewhat for many people...maybe they will for the Strattera as well. I thought I read somewhere that Strattera is a "combo" of a norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor and SSRI, but I am sure I could have misunderstood. I am concerned that you say the Strattera is not helping much with motivation, as that is the major reason that I am trying it. I don't want to waste too much time taking this drug if it's not going to help me in that area. I do feel more positive today than I have in a long time, even though relatives are coming to visit this afternoon and the house is in an absolute "tip". Could just be the placebo effect; I dunno...

~Calla

Old 04-11-2003, 12:03 PM   #24
    Rob37

Rob37 HB User
    I think I read that the drug Effexor is a combo ssri and norep. I dont mean to nock Staterra it is just how I am comparing myself on Concerta to this. I felt really awake and raring to go. I actually tried to sit and procrastinate in front of the TV and could not. I was like bing-bing-bing richocet rabbit! I dont know, I'll see what happens. I have only spent 37 years getting myself to this point so I'll be patient. Have you read any good books on this subject?

To any Males out there on Straterra: Did the sexual side effects subside after time? please reply...

Old 04-11-2003, 01:48 PM   #25
    Rob37

Rob37 HB User
    Hey everyone you have to check out the posts on one titled "Straterra vs. Stimulants". Go to bottom of screen and advance to #6 then 3rd post down. "good-stuff"

Old 04-11-2003, 01:57 PM   #26
    Lexxy

Lexxy HB User
    I really, really wanted this stuff to work but I'm about ready to give up. I was on 40mg for 2 1/2 weeks and have been on 80mg or the full dose for an additional 12 days ...that's 30 days in all...and I just don't feel any different. I have trouble getting enthusiastic about anything...just feel apathetic and I'm usually raring to go.

I am coping with the sleep problems [taking Unisom]and constipation fine [loads of bran and prunes and magnesium] now but I don't feel anything but hungry all the time and I really wanted the appetite suppressing affect.

I see my doc on the 21st and I guess I will decide what to do then. I'm so disappointed. I wasted all this time getting used to something that doesn't help.

I have some 60mg. Do you suppose I should try a higher dose? I weigh 150. I take 40mg in am and another 40mg at 4pm. My doc gave me 14 -60mg in case I needed to use them but I was wondering if there are others who have gone that high. that would be 100mg a day for me.

The studies said that some folks need more and did better on it. I have taken Ritalin very well for 19 years ...with a one month drug holiday each year so I don't build a tolerance. I know I am really ADHD and the ritalin has always worked like clockwork. I always felt like atypical ADHD poster child and I just knew this Strattera was going to make me feel highly functional but all I feel is blah!!!

I'm not touchy or depressed....just unmotivated. I can't seem to get moving and do things I usually really enjoy doing. I don't feel my attention and reading comprehension is any different and I'm just as uncoordinated as ever....but Ritalin affects the dopamine where Strattera doesn't and that influences movement.

I would appreciate any advice from adults who have been successful on Strattera.

------------------
    Lexxy in Ga

Old 04-12-2003, 07:07 AM   #27
    Rob37

Rob37 HB User
    I stumbled on this board a week ago and find it to be so helpful and informative. You go on these drugs with the excitement of benefit and you are all alone in the interpertation of the results. (one of my main problems - SPELLING, so dont laugh to hard). Then you hear all the responses and you feel so in touch with these people that you don't even know. I wish all of you succes in finding the best med. for some of the symptoms of ADHD. All the books I am reading say that meds are only a fraction of the solution. Changing ones daily structure and scheduling things according to different techniques and possible therapy or support groups. Has anyone gone this route? Could you explain what really helped and what seemed a waste of time?

Lexxy: How come you don't take 80mg in morning so that by bedtime you might be more likely to sleep and the higher dose right away may curve your appetite like it has done for me. So far the best effect of these meds is that I have lost 10 lbs. in three weeks.

Old 04-12-2003, 11:19 PM   #28
    calla
    (female)

calla HB User
    Hi Lexxy - Why are you trying the Strattera if you were having such success w/Ritalin? Were you having other side effects from Ritalin that were problematic?

Rob37 - So far I notice that the Strattera is helping a little bit w/my motivation, but nothing dramatic. Also, I was this same way on my first week of Celexa, but after that the benefit went away (even after a doseage increase). I am finally realizing that I must have had a "placebo" effect w/Celexa, and thus I'm kind of skeptical about any early benefits I'm feeling from Strattera. I'll go check out the other thread on Strattera - thanks.

Old 04-15-2003, 03:02 PM   #29
    Rob37

Rob37 HB User
    I have done alot of sole searching this last week on Staterra. I constantly compared its effects with Concerta. On Staterra 2nd week I had limited motivation, no appetite, no sex drive and painful ejac. when I did, Not conversive with others. What I used to view in Color was know in B&W. I was kind of ho-hum about things, didn't care to get into detail about stuff as i usually am. I think I kinda like myself that way. I'd rather view something with wonder and amazement than to comment " I guess thats kool". Sooooooo with that said, all the neg. posts i've read (95%bad/5%good), and the fact that this drug has only hit the pop. since January I have decided to go back to concerta for now. The interesting thing to mention to you is that for three days now I havn't felt the effects of the drug. I guess it will take some time for the Strat. to go out of my body. I'll keep ya posted. Good luck to all, dont give up because of my post make a complete judgment for yourselves......

Closed Thread