It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Very Low ferritin normal MCV = possible B12 problem???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-18-2010, 09:58 AM   #1
    Moo77
    (female)

Moo77 HB User
    Very Low ferritin normal MCV = possible B12 problem???

Hi there I am a 'newbie' in that I havent posted before but have followed a LOT of posts on this board - especially fflowergirl!!

Anyhow will try to keep this quick I have had health probs for YEARS and have been diagnosed with all sort of things from anxiety and depression to CFS. Finally after years of just accepting that sometimes I have to take it easy I had a ferritin test that showed my level was 7. Hmmm isnt that interesting?? Was told this would NOT have any affect (sound familiar?) but to take iron to build it up to 25. So for about a year I kind of mucked about thinking well if this isnt important why should I bother? My haemoglobin was about 11.6 at this point. But finally after reading so many posts on here I have realised this is very important and could make me feel unwell.

So have been taking ferrous fumerate 200mg x 3 a day for about 3 months and have just gotten blood drawn today to see how well it is going. I found out that on my last tests in June when my ferritin was up to a massive 8 that my MCV is 87. Now I thought that this would have been smaller if i was iron deficient?? Is it possible I could be B12 deficient and that has 'evened' out my blood size??? I dont feel any better after 3 solid months of iron - if anything I feel worse. I have 2 young children (both born very prem as well as a miscarriage inbetween) and yes I know this is tiring but I literally am unable to do anything I could do this time last year when I wasnt taking iron i.e go for a run or go to exercise classes. I am working 3 days a week full time I suppose but am trying to get to bed before 10 every night and must get at least 8 hours of sleep every night. I was unable to get any other results as I would have to pay 5 for them and I have no cash on me.

I have never bought the cfs diagnosis that I had when I was 16 - in fact after looking at a book about anxiety I realise a lot the symptoms that really worried me i.e depersonalisation derealisation are a symptom of anxiety and I started to feel like this after having severe panic attacks out of no-where and then after that I became very fatiguedas I stopped eating and stayed in bed hoping I could sleep the unreal feeling off etc and I can see now as a 33 year old that the anxiety came first and I was petrified of the 'unreal' feelings I thought I was going craxy!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I do get sore muscles in the morning and tingly feelings in my limbs - all anaemia symptoms but low b12 and anxiety symtpoms too!!!

Interestingly my oldest son has a sacral dimple.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2010, 07:21 PM   #2
    jonnstar
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User
    Re: Very Low ferritin normal MCV = possible B12 problem???

Well, I dont think low ferretin is an indicator of B12 deficiency, BUT, B12 supplements are generaly considered pretty safe, so if you want to try one for a few months and see what happens, there isnt much harm in that. The sublingual ones are best, range 2000 to 5000mcg per day are pretty typical doseages.

You can help boost the adsorbsion of your iron by taking a vitamin c tablet with each dose, this increases iron uptake by the body.

If your body isnt getting benifit from oral iron, maybe you need injectable iron? Somthing to discuss with your doctor. Given your concerns, i would ask to have your b12 levels tested as well, and make sure you tell your doc about any supplements you're taking.

Last edited by jonnstar; 11-18-2010 at 07:24 PM.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:58 AM   #3
    Moo77
    (female)

Moo77 HB User

I think I am going to take the Jarrow 5000mcg methyl sublinguals along with some folate.

I have a docs appt on Monday but I think I might struggle to get them to test me and if they do it would only be the blood serum test and not the urine test - which I believe is the solid indicator. My docs just put everything down to anxiety or stress which I buy into and understand but that doesnt cause things like low ferritin so they shouldnt assume everything is psychological. To get tested independently is expensive too.

Ill be interesting to see what ferritin results are this time round.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:00 PM   #4
    jonnstar
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Whily you're getting your B12, get some 250mg vitamin c tabs, and take one with each of your iron pills to boost adsorbsion.

Best of luck!

Old 11-20-2010, 02:32 AM   #5
    Moo77
    (female)

Moo77 HB User

I do take vit C as well.

Do you think with ferritin so low that my MCV would be low too? Its normal at 87.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:07 PM   #6
    jonnstar
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

It is possible to have low ferretin and have everything else appear normal, and still feel like a sack of you know what.

For the vitamin C to work, you need to take it at the same time as your iron pill.....you only need about 250mg to boost iron uptake, so maybe you could break your vitamin c in half and take half a tab with each dose of iron?

A daily multi like Centrum would perhaps be a good idea, to help provide all the other bits and peices the body needs every day.

Have you started on the sublingual B12 yet? Although your B12 appears in the normal range, you dont have anything to lose by getting it to the higher end of the normal range, and if nothing else it will give you peice of mind.

If your ferretin is still very low after all this time on iron tablets, it might be time to discuss injectable iron with your doctor - this bypasses the guy and gets the iron straight into your blood stream. It can be a bit inconvenient, and can have a few side effects, but it is almost guaranteed to work.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Last edited by jonnstar; 11-20-2010 at 03:10 PM.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:01 PM   #7
    connieknwnj
    (female)

connieknwnj HB User

<<<Any help would be greatly appreciated. I do get sore muscles in the morning and tingly feelings in my limbs - all anaemia symptoms but low b12 and anxiety symtpoms too!!!>>>>

I have gone years not feeling well, sleep deprived, sore muscles, painful joints, tingling and numbness in feet and hands, and most recently burning.
    This past summer, I've gone to a rheumatologist, three neurologists, and infectious disease Dr. an endocrinologist and of course my Primary Physician.
    I've had MRI's cat-scans, and nerve testing. I've also had a ton of bloodwork.
    Of course everything comes back normal. Drs. were leaning towards a diagnosis of MS, since I had a lot of White matter in my brain. I did a lot of reading on MS, and kept coming across discussions on B12 deficiency. I called my primary and asked to be tested for B12 (normal blood tests don't screen for B12) my test came back low. She followed that up with a test on my instrinsic factor. Turns out I have antiboties to intrinsic factor making me low in B12 (intrinsic factor is in our stomach and pulls B12 out of your food)

So, last Friday I had a Spinal Tap, to rule out other things.
    I got the results yesterday, no MS, no Lyme, no Cancer. I have probably had pernicious anemia for decades. It caused all my fatigue, muscle pain, numbness and tingling, etc.
    I am on B12 injections, and will probably be on them for life. Already many of my symptoms are disappearing. Amazing my Drs. never checked my B12, my current neurologist and my primary, kept appologizing.

Without B12, your nerves can not function....and eventually your organs shut down if not corrected. That is why it is called pernicious anemia, because years ago people died from it. It takes a long time to build your B12 back up.

I hope you get your B12, Folate, Instrinsic factor and Vitamin D checked!

Connieknwnj

Old 11-20-2010, 03:46 PM   #8
    jonnstar
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Its almost unbeleivable that they didnt test your B12 with those symptoms..... I'm so glad you're on the right track now.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 11-21-2010, 12:53 PM   #9
    connieknwnj
    (female)

connieknwnj HB User

It is so amazing, that no one checked my B12, that it actually makes me angry. I actually had nerves to vital organs being affected. I've lost ten years of my life to pain and suffering, all because no one looked at the obvious. I'm so glad that I started researching on my own and asked to be checked. It's only been a couple of weeks on the B12 injections and I am beginning to feel myself again!
    Connieknwnj

Old 11-24-2010, 02:37 PM   #10
    Moo77
    (female)

Moo77 HB User

Went to docs on Monday she said labs are very tight on testing for b12 and said they won't test unless I'm symptomatic!!!!! Emm who is charge the doc or the lab here? She said she will test my thyroid as there is a family history of thyroid problems. Said my low ferritin will def make me feel unwell - hurray a doc who recognises this!!!!! My latest test came back at 19 so it's improved from 7 in about 4 months so I am responding so that's positive. She also recommended a light box!!!!! Luckily I know someone who can lend me one.

Have been taking a sublingual b12 (methylcobalmin) for a week now - 5000mg - and letting it dissolve between my upper lip and gum for over an hour and I have to say that I woke up today feeling better - as soon as I woke up I just knew I was just that bit more - I don't know - normal. Have been taking vit d last couple of days so who knows? It looks like if I want b12 tested then I will have to pay private but nit sure if worth it now I have been taking sublinguals. The good thing I suppose is I have a doctor who doesn't think 25 is an acceptable level - she wrote on the latest ferritin result 'patient MUST continue iron' so that is a small victory at least

Old 11-25-2010, 06:22 AM   #11
    Moo77
    (female)

Moo77 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnstar View Post
    It is possible to have low ferretin and have everything else appear normal, and still feel like a sack of you know what.

For the vitamin C to work, you need to take it at the same time as your iron pill.....you only need about 250mg to boost iron uptake, so maybe you could break your vitamin c in half and take half a tab with each dose of iron?

A daily multi like Centrum would perhaps be a good idea, to help provide all the other bits and peices the body needs every day.

Have you started on the sublingual B12 yet? Although your B12 appears in the normal range, you dont have anything to lose by getting it to the higher end of the normal range, and if nothing else it will give you peice of mind.

If your ferretin is still very low after all this time on iron tablets, it might be time to discuss injectable iron with your doctor - this bypasses the guy and gets the iron straight into your blood stream. It can be a bit inconvenient, and can have a few side effects, but it is almost guaranteed to work.
    Great advice re vit C tablet. I have been taking vit C every day but just the whole thing with my 1st iron tablet in the morning - I will break it into 3rds and take one with every tablet - god knows the Vit C is a big *****!!!

Last edited by Moo77; 11-25-2010 at 06:24 AM.

Closed Thread