It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Leukemia Message Board

  • My Father Has Acute Myeloid Leukemia! Whats Does This Mean!!!

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 12-04-2008, 08:23 PM   #1
    acuteleukemia08
    Newbie
    (male)
     
    acuteleukemia08's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2008
    Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA
    Posts: 1
    acuteleukemia08 HB User
    My Father Has Acute Myeloid Leukemia! Whats Does This Mean!!!

    My Father Is 48 years old, with Acute Myeloid Leukemia.
    We are very worried about whats going to happen in the near future!
    What are we going to expect?
    Whats the survival rate for this age (48)?

    If anybody who is going through the same problems as we are, or who knows alot about this cancer please write me back as soon as possible!

    It would be very appreciated!
    God Bless!

     
    The following user gives a hug of support to acuteleukemia08:
    eyafatir (01-27-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 12-09-2008, 12:49 PM   #2
    hannahray
    Newbie
    (female)
     
    hannahray's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2008
    Location: Cheshire, United Kingdom
    Posts: 1
    hannahray HB User
    Re: My Father Has Acute Myeloid Leukemia! Whats Does This Mean!!!

    I assume you are probably all in a state of shock at the moment but all I can tell you is that my Mum who is 81 going on 60 (very young and active for her age) was diagnosed with AML two weeks ago out of the blue. She had aching shoulders and woke up one morning with bruising on her body. We saw a consultant last week and because of her age they have said there is nothing they can do for her as elderly people do not cope with the treatment. Had she been under 70 then she could have had chemo which has a good chance of destroying the leukemia cells. Younger people get much more help combatting the disease than older people. I presume your Dad has a good hematologist/oncologist. I think you will find age is very much on your father's side, I do hope so. Until he starts any treatment, keep him away from infection i.e. people with bad winter colds as his immune system will be low. Sorry I can't help with any medical advice just tell him to seek the best help available. I feel very bitter that my mum is so young for her age and so full of life and hopes yet nobody is offering her any hope. Hope and a close family keep the patient strong. Your father is young and I hope once the shock subsides he will get every help to fight this illness. He will probably be feeling very tired and low at the moment but from my research over the last couple of weeks (and I have searched everywhere I can for help) his age is a bonus. Keep strong for him and get the best help you can find. I wish I could tell you what will happen medically but it would be unfair because only a good hematologist will be able to give you all the facts. Once armed with the facts and choices available you can all make a decision on what path to take. The only thing I can appreciate is the pain and helplessness you must feel. Good Luck.

     
    Old 12-09-2008, 04:54 PM   #3
    girl1955
    Junior Member
    (female)
     
    girl1955's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2008
    Location: USA
    Posts: 11
    girl1955 HB User
    Re: My Father Has Acute Myeloid Leukemia! Whats Does This Mean!!!

    Come to Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle, Washington. I am an AML survivor with two acute onsets and a transplant and over the course of treatment I have met people from all over the world who have come to Fred Hutch for tratment. If you can be saved they are the ones to do it. That and prayer are the keys. Ann

     
    Old 01-06-2009, 09:08 PM   #4
    yesican
    Newbie
    (female)
     
    yesican's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2008
    Location: Rescue
    Posts: 1
    yesican HB User
    Re: My Father Has Acute Myeloid Leukemia! Whats Does This Mean!!!

    My husband is 49 and has AML too. He went into the hospital about the same time as your post, 12/2. He is still there. He has had 2 induction rounds of chemo and is currently suffering the side effects greatly. We are in our 6th week in the hospital and still have a couple more before he can come home. Not having the answer to "did we get it?" is hard, not knowing when or if he will get a bone marrow transplant is hard. Not knowing and waiting seems to be the common thread for all of us going through this. Thank goodness for the Sutter General Nurses who are really angels in disguise.

     
    Old 03-31-2010, 11:01 PM   #5
    Ziggyziggy
    Newbie
    (female)
     
    Ziggyziggy's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2010
    Location: UK
    Posts: 1
    Ziggyziggy HB User
    Re: My Father Has Acute Myeloid Leukemia! Whats Does This Mean!!!

    I am 53+have been in complete AML remission since Oct 2008. I was constantly told my age was in my favour. Your dad is still young+I hope is doing well. x

     
    Old 04-15-2010, 01:52 PM   #6
    Neba4
    Newbie
    (female)
     
    Neba4's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2010
    Posts: 1
    Neba4 HB User
    Re: My Father Has Acute Myeloid Leukemia! Whats Does This Mean!!!

    My dad too was just diagnosed 3 weeks ago with AML. He, too, is 81, going on 60. He is doing OK. He is have treatments every 4 weeks,(chemo 5 days in a row) and transfusions. They told us too, that age was a big factor in the remission process. We are just taking one day at a time. he is tired and short of breath, but still going. We worry about infection and watch his temp all the time.

     
    Old 11-24-2010, 10:19 PM   #7
    Liahciara
    Junior Member
    (female)
     
    Liahciara's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2010
    Location: Ontario, Canada
    Posts: 12
    Liahciara HB User
    Smile Re: My Father Has Acute Myeloid Leukemia! Whats Does This Mean!!!

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ziggyziggy View Post
    I am 53+have been in complete AML remission since Oct 2008. I was constantly told my age was in my favour. Your dad is still young+I hope is doing well. x
    Hello,
    my father had leukemia after returning from concentration camp, he lived for 39 years, with plenty of vegetables, protein and liver, bananas, eggs in a milkshake with coffee every morning and frequent meals.

     
    Old 12-31-2010, 09:29 AM   #8
    maulfair
    Junior Member
    (female)
     
    maulfair's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2010
    Location: vero beach florida
    Posts: 11
    maulfair HB User
    Re: My Father Has Acute Myeloid Leukemia! Whats Does This Mean!!!

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acuteleukemia08 View Post
    My Father Is 48 years old, with Acute Myeloid Leukemia.
    We are very worried about whats going to happen in the near future!
    What are we going to expect?
    Whats the survival rate for this age (48)?

    If anybody who is going through the same problems as we are, or who knows alot about this cancer please write me back as soon as possible!

    It would be very appreciated!
    God Bless!

     
    Old 12-31-2010, 09:33 AM   #9
    maulfair
    Junior Member
    (female)
     
    maulfair's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2010
    Location: vero beach florida
    Posts: 11
    maulfair HB User
    Re: My Father Has Acute Myeloid Leukemia! Whats Does This Mean!!!

    You should look for a hospital and Doctor that does Stem cell Transplants , if your father is a canidate. I had a stem cell transplant one year ago. After, a diagnosis of AML
    Sept. 2009. It was a difficult year, but I am now feeling great and the outlook looks good.

     
    Old 12-31-2010, 11:06 AM   #10
    Liahciara
    Junior Member
    (female)
     
    Liahciara's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2010
    Location: Ontario, Canada
    Posts: 12
    Liahciara HB User
    Re: My Father Has Acute Myeloid Leukemia! Whats Does This Mean!!!

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Liahciara View Post
    Hello,
    my father had leukemia after returning from concentration camp, he lived for 39 years, with plenty of vegetables, protein and liver, bananas, eggs in a milkshake with coffee every morning and frequent meals.
    Hi. Were all so unique, the treatment has to be customized. On this website they have videos that will give you answers as to what to expect when you've been diagnosed with "Acute Myeloid Leukemia" .
    My father's case was very unique, I was told by the doctors in Vancouver that he was one of a kind. He didn't know he had Leukemia, until he whent for an operation to remove a cancer and in the end it was the cancer that killed him not the Leukemia. If you're father exhausted all his options, I would suggest he see a Naturopathic Dr. in the community he lives in, since that is the closest to how my father dealth with it. Naturopathic Doctors have testing electronic devices ie. The Vega test II. and more it will measure how his organs are functioning.
    Hope this helps, Lia

    Last edited by Liahciara; 12-31-2010 at 11:14 AM. Reason: to remov a reference to youtube on my message

     
    Old 12-31-2010, 11:15 AM   #11
    Liahciara
    Junior Member
    (female)
     
    Liahciara's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2010
    Location: Ontario, Canada
    Posts: 12
    Liahciara HB User
    Re: My Father Has Acute Myeloid Leukemia! Whats Does This Mean!!!

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Liahciara View Post
    Hi. Were all so unique, the treatment has to be customized. On this website they have videos that will give you answers as to what to expect when you've been diagnosed with "Acute Myeloid Leukemia" .
    My father's case was very unique, I was told by the doctors in Vancouver that he was one of a kind. He didn't know he had Leukemia, until he whent for an operation to remove a cancer and in the end it was the cancer that killed him not the Leukemia. If you're father exhausted all his options, I would suggest he see a Naturopathic Dr. in the community he lives in, since that is the closest to how my father dealth with it. Naturopathic Doctors have testing electronic devices ie. The Vega test II. and more it will measure how his organs are functioning.
    Hope this helps, Lia

     
    Closed Thread




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:47 PM.





    © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!