It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Oral steroids w/out antiobiotics for chronic sinusitis?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-30-2010, 08:49 PM   #16
    MEGJune2010
    Inactive
    (female)

MEGJune2010 HB User
    Re: Oral steroids w/out antiobiotics for chronic sinusitis?

I'll let you know next week. In the past, the Medrol dose pack with nothing else has worked for me. Fingers crossed for this time! Today is Day #1, after a week of antibiotics, etc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2010, 07:33 AM   #17
    MEGJune2010
    Inactive
    (female)

MEGJune2010 HB User

Mayo is right!!!! They have contracted with labs to make the 100 Amphotericin B irrigation solution - I started using it on Friday and I'm feeling great already today on Sunday!!! MIRACLE. I did the Medrol steroid dose pak which was terrific, finished the antibiotics.. so the steroids got rid of the inflammation, the antibiotics got rid of infection, but most dramatically, the Ampho B solution is getting rid of my sick feeling. It is AMAZING!!! A doctor needs to prescribe it - I have suffered from chronic sinusitis for many years on and off.

Last edited by Administrator; 07-06-2010 at 09:51 AM.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:24 PM   #18
    upstate newyork
    (female)

upstate newyork HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by speak21 View Post
    Has anyone ever been prescribed a short course of oral corticosteroids alone (no antibiotics) for chronic sinusitis? After taking a look at me, my ENT saw a lot of inflammation but little sign of infection. He was reluctant to prescribe antibiotics without a clear indication, since, when this started in December, I had a bad GI reaction to the Omnicef he prescribed and had to stop taking it. So he prescribed oral steroids for 6 days, along with continuing use of a nasal steroid spray.
    This is my first experience with chronic sinusitis (diagnosed by CT - mild chronic pansinusitis), and I am a tad confused over this whole thing. Most websites indicate the use of antibiotics or antibiotics and steroids for chronic sinusitis, and I havent seen anything on the use of steroids alone. I have a little worry about the steroids making any underlying infection worse, but, on the other hand, I want to avoid antibiotics unless they are ABSOLUTELY necessary, given my last experience. Any thoughts/comments would be much appreciated - this board has been a lot of help already!

Old 01-09-2011, 05:27 PM   #19
    upstate newyork
    (female)

upstate newyork HB User

Remember that while oral antibiotics work, so does bactroban nasal spray. I like that because it does not go systemic and works fast. The latest is putting corticosteroid in your neti pot twice a day.

Closed Thread