It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• Frustrated

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-30-2010, 03:58 AM   #1
    SilentApex
    (male)

SilentApex HB User
    Frustrated

Dear fellows, would appreciate some advice/comments on my situation:

I had all-laser wavefront-guided Lasik 13 days ago at a reputable surgeon in my country, on one eye.

Pre-op: myopia of -7.5, astigmatism of -1.00 on 165 axis.
    Post op-as measured a few days ago: +0.25, astigmatism of 0.75 on 130 axis (I'm not sure whether the astigmatism is a + or - now). Corneal thickness of about 419 microns (inclusive of flap).

I am still having some Vaseline/hazy vision (looks like soft focus filter has been placed over my eye), and see halos around bright objects during the day and night. This was initially severe and improved during the first few days following my surgery. But the improvement seems to have halted for the last 5 days.

It is difficult to work now as numbers on computers appear blurred and soft. I have had my eye refracted a few times the last week and the astigmatism has been a consistent 0.75 or 1.00.

1) What could have caused the astigmatism? Is this Induced Astigmatism? Would it resolve by itself and if so, when? What is my best-case and worst-case scenario? Will it be enhanceable by further correction?

2) Should I be concerned about the Vaseline vision 13 days on? What could be causing it and will it also eventually resolve by itself? If so, when?

The doctor has told me to wait a month before assessing my eye again, but I am really worried as this vision is affecting my work.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2010, 11:46 AM   #2
    Regret eyes
    (male)

Regret eyes HB UserRegret eyes HB User
    Re: Frustrated

Silent, I know if there is astigmatism left over from surgery that will cause continued blur ( not clear) vision.If you were undercorrected that will cause blur also I believe. I hear ya about work. I'm 5 weeks out. I was undercorrected in one eye. Also had dry eye prior too in one eye( no one tells ya it gets worse! With dry eye) I have a continue to regret this decision. As now it's all I think about. Can't sleep at night now too. Good luck in your case. Give us an update!

Old 11-26-2010, 02:55 PM   #3
    landar
    (male)

landar HB User

Regret, dont lose hope. You are ONLY 5 weeks post-op. I had undercorrection in one eye (Left) which began to correct but not until about 9 months post-op. Then the right eye, which had been good, appeared to go undercorrected. But after 15 months started correcting. It was a real roller coaster. (read my post on 20 month post-op). And on top of it all, you are at the peak time for regrets (about 1-4 months). I had my regrets as well but not anymore. I know it is hard to believe but with more healing (and it can take many, many months) your eyes can get a lot better. After 20 months, I am still noticing improvements.

Last edited by landar; 11-26-2010 at 02:58 PM.

Old 11-26-2010, 04:11 PM   #4
    Regret eyes
    (male)

Regret eyes HB UserRegret eyes HB User

Hey lander. Thanks for the kind words. I did read your 20 month update. I realize it does take time. But it just has me in it's grips at the moment. The fear is crazy. I getting a second opinion in January and possibly seeking help with a contact I'll most likely need ( unless that eye clears up!!). But I highly doubt it. Even eye doc said it was undercorrected. But personally I just need to get over this. Dry eye , starbursts,halos and ghosting just keep reminding me every second. Again thanks for the kind words of encouragement.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:22 AM   #5
    eyelure
    (female)

eyelure HB User

Gosh...sounds like your having it quite bad. I know side effects of lasik can be dry eyes, haloes. This should have been explained to you pre- surgery. Your more likely to get the haloes at night due to your pupils dilating. Astigmatism can cause some blurring and if it is situated at an oblique axis then it can cause some distortion. But if the astigmatism is under-1.00 you shouldnt really be experiencing that much blurring due to refractive error.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:12 PM   #6
    marisuela
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

I do wish the literature, advertisements, and DOCTORS would be more forthcoming about what happens after lasik!!! It would save a lot of people from all this anxiety and stress!!!

I was in your shoes once, and it SUCKED! Nobody told me it could possibly take months to fully heal! I expected perfect vision within 24 hours, and that SO didn't happen!

But 4 years later, I am thrilled to report, I still have 20/12.5 vision in one eye, and 20/15 in the other. It just took a good 6 months and a ton of artificial tears, to get to that point!

Silent, your issues sound a lot like dry eye related issues. Are you using an abundance of tears daily? Even if your eyes don't feel dry, they might still be. Try tripling up on your artificial tears (I used the Target and Walmart generic brands and they were awesome and so way cheaper than the other stuff!), and see if that doesn't make a difference.

Also, try limiting your time on the computer. If you absolutely can't, then invest in a wireless keyboard and mouse so that at least you can distance yourself from your screen and take some of the stress off of your eyes. They did just go through a major surgery and they will take a lot longer to heal if you are constantly on the computer every day!

Another thing you can do to help your eyes, is to take a 15 minute break during the day to close your eyes and just breathe deep. Your eyes need some down time during the day so soon post-lasik. It will really help speed up the healing process if you can baby them a little each day.

At the end of the day, it just takes TIME. I know it's torture waiting possible months to see if your lasik was really worth it, but hang in there and have faith, and take it from someone who has been there.... it really is worth it in the end!

Old 01-13-2011, 12:55 PM   #7
    eaglesham1221
    (male)

eaglesham1221 HB User

This sounds like good news to me. I had mine done almost 3 weeks ago and i am very frustrated most of all than anything else. My vision was good a week after but now is starting to be blurry all the time. I am taking the drops every 20-30 minutes as told by the doctor. As long as it's only time it takes to get better than that's fine with me. As long as i didn't do it for Nothing. My vision is better than when i used to wear glasses, that is for sure. But it is getting to the point where i am wondering if i should go and get glasses again so i can see CLEARLY!!! when is it o.k. to get water in or to take a shower? Stil taking a shower with swimming goggles..LOL . The hardest thing that i feel after Lasik is staying positive when you don't see as clearly as you hoped. Everybody says it gets better so that's what i'm sticking to.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:58 PM   #8
    eaglesham1221
    (male)

eaglesham1221 HB User
    Smile Re: Frustrated

Quote:
    Originally Posted by marisuela View Post
    I do wish the literature, advertisements, and DOCTORS would be more forthcoming about what happens after lasik!!! It would save a lot of people from all this anxiety and stress!!!

I was in your shoes once, and it SUCKED! Nobody told me it could possibly take months to fully heal! I expected perfect vision within 24 hours, and that SO didn't happen!

But 4 years later, I am thrilled to report, I still have 20/12.5 vision in one eye, and 20/15 in the other. It just took a good 6 months and a ton of artificial tears, to get to that point!

Silent, your issues sound a lot like dry eye related issues. Are you using an abundance of tears daily? Even if your eyes don't feel dry, they might still be. Try tripling up on your artificial tears (I used the Target and Walmart generic brands and they were awesome and so way cheaper than the other stuff!), and see if that doesn't make a difference.

Also, try limiting your time on the computer. If you absolutely can't, then invest in a wireless keyboard and mouse so that at least you can distance yourself from your screen and take some of the stress off of your eyes. They did just go through a major surgery and they will take a lot longer to heal if you are constantly on the computer every day!

Another thing you can do to help your eyes, is to take a 15 minute break during the day to close your eyes and just breathe deep. Your eyes need some down time during the day so soon post-lasik. It will really help speed up the healing process if you can baby them a little each day.

At the end of the day, it just takes TIME. I know it's torture waiting possible months to see if your lasik was really worth it, but hang in there and have faith, and take it from someone who has been there.... it really is worth it in the end!
    How long was your vision blurry for after surgery??

Old 01-17-2011, 09:59 AM   #9
    marisuela
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

My surgery was over 4 years ago, and though the recovery was quite traumatic at the time, I actually don't remember the details that clearly anymore.... but I did post about it on these boards a few times, so just look up my previous posts (I don't have the time right now). But it was at least a couple of months for me, before I even started getting better, and a good 6 months before I got to 20/20.... I think that's the timeline, anyway. I thought I'd made a huge mistake, was depressed about it, figured I was on my way to blindness and contact lenses for the rest of my life, etc.... because NOBODY EVER TOLD ME that it would take months to heal!

But it does take time, and most people do heal all the way with great vision. Go and read my other posts here.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:10 AM   #10
    MarioX2
    Inactive
    (male)

MarioX2 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eyelure View Post
    Gosh...sounds like your having it quite bad. I know side effects of lasik can be dry eyes, haloes. This should have been explained to you pre- surgery. Your more likely to get the haloes at night due to your pupils dilating. Astigmatism can cause some blurring and if it is situated at an oblique axis then it can cause some distortion. But if the astigmatism is under-1.00 you shouldnt really be experiencing that much blurring due to refractive error.
    It's explained by just showing you consent form, and to me they said when i asked about halos, glare and other visual beauties that it goes away in month to three. And my pupils are 7mm so they said they are going for 9mm. Ok, so I didn't know what to ask anymore, I kinda thought its all covered, but it seems that some people get stuck with persistent sideeffects. Because of what i mean...If it ain't predictable then why is it freakin legal. Even one pair of eyes with complications is enough to call it unpredictable surgery. This should be much more researched and much more effective, its human eyes we're talking about. Some scar on your arm ain't gonna bother you, some microscar on cornea can make your world upside down.

Closed Thread