It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• Almost 2 weeks in and slightly worried.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-19-2011, 05:27 AM   #1
    jaikanthp
    (male)

jaikanthp HB User
    Unhappy Almost 2 weeks in and slightly worried.

I had my Lasik done on 10 Feb, so it's been around 11 days. My myopia earlier was -4.75 in both eyes. Vision is pretty good and I have no qualms about it. But I do have some issues that have been causing quite a lot of worry over the past few days. I'd be really grateful if someone could help me with the doubts listed below!

1.) I'm not sure whether I'm suffering from dry eyes or not. Because what I keep seeing in many threads is that Dry eyes result in blurry vision, and my vision is not noticeably blurry. I can only find it so very rarely. Actually, sometimes I find it better than when I used to wear glasses. I'm using tear-drops four-times every day, and my doctor told me to continue the same frequency for 6 months. I do find that my eyes tire a lot faster than pre-operation, and I end up getting a mild headache by the end of the day. Is this normal at this stage after the surgery?

2.) I have been asked to wear eye-shields while sleeping, for 2 weeks. But I'm somewhat scared about later on. Is there a possibility that I might dislodge the flap at night? Should I continue using it for a little longer? What about rubbing the eyes? I'm somewhat paranoid about it, and starting to feel like this was all a big mistake and whether I'll ever be able to shower, swim, play sports or do anything like before the operation.

3.) What is the normal flap healing period? I keep reading some places online that the flap never heals, and this is making me super-anxious! The fact is, I never had a doubt before going in for the surgery. I was so confident and hopeful. But now I feel like I should have never done it. It's almost killing me! I know it's still a little too early, but I fear I might be slipping into depression. I never expected this to happen! Please give me some advice on how to cope with it.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2011, 09:53 PM   #2
    marisuela
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User
    Re: Almost 2 weeks in and slightly worried.

Breathe deep, friend! You're going to be okay..... (breathe in........ breathe out......)

To answer your questions to the best of my ability....

1.) Perfectly normal. Your eyes just had major surgery and need time to heal. It can take many months for this to happen (mine took roughly 6). In the meantime, give your eyes frequent rest breaks throughout the day and give them time to heal!

2.) I only had to wear my eye shields for a few days. 2 weeks seems kind of excessive, and longer just seems kind of ridiculous. Unless you sleep like a crazy person, your eyes should be fine. As far as rubbing your eyes..... don't. Even if you hadn't had LASIK, rubbing your eyes is a horrible habit. It can cause wrinkles, it can spread germs into your eyes.... it's BAD! Don't do it! Totally understand the swimming paranoia. It took me a couple of years to open my eyes under the water. I did it all summer this summer and LOVED IT! My eyes are just fine, too! I'm not sure how long to tell you to wait for opening your eyes. My friend waited a couple of months, my other friend waited a year. I think you should just follow your instincts with that one and go with what makes you feel good..... but for the love of Pete, please, please, please, PLEASE shower!!!! Take it easy on the sports and recreation until your eyes are healed (my definition of healed is that they don't get so tired anymore and your vision is clear and you get the all clear from your doctor) and then you should be fine. I do all the same things I used to do before surgery and my eyes are great.

3.) I have no idea about stats on the flap. I had my surgery 4 years ago, and have never had a problem..... just the normal blurred vision that comes with dry eyes in the beginning. But that started right away (like the next day-ish) and was gone in 6 months, and it's the best thing I've ever done.

Something I have learned is that if you want to find something on the internet, you are going to find it. If you want to find people who have had bad lasik experiences, you will find them. But you'll find just as many (if not more) who have had great experiences, too. It all depends on what you want to look up. You will make yourself crazy worrying about things that may or may not happen. You sound like your eyes are doing well, so breathe deep, and relax.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:41 PM   #3
    jaikanthp
    (male)

jaikanthp HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by marisuela View Post
    Breathe deep, friend! You're going to be okay..... (breathe in........ breathe out......)

To answer your questions to the best of my ability....

1.) Perfectly normal. Your eyes just had major surgery and need time to heal. It can take many months for this to happen (mine took roughly 6). In the meantime, give your eyes frequent rest breaks throughout the day and give them time to heal!

2.) I only had to wear my eye shields for a few days. 2 weeks seems kind of excessive, and longer just seems kind of ridiculous. Unless you sleep like a crazy person, your eyes should be fine. As far as rubbing your eyes..... don't. Even if you hadn't had LASIK, rubbing your eyes is a horrible habit. It can cause wrinkles, it can spread germs into your eyes.... it's BAD! Don't do it! Totally understand the swimming paranoia. It took me a couple of years to open my eyes under the water. I did it all summer this summer and LOVED IT! My eyes are just fine, too! I'm not sure how long to tell you to wait for opening your eyes. My friend waited a couple of months, my other friend waited a year. I think you should just follow your instincts with that one and go with what makes you feel good..... but for the love of Pete, please, please, please, PLEASE shower!!!! Take it easy on the sports and recreation until your eyes are healed (my definition of healed is that they don't get so tired anymore and your vision is clear and you get the all clear from your doctor) and then you should be fine. I do all the same things I used to do before surgery and my eyes are great.

3.) I have no idea about stats on the flap. I had my surgery 4 years ago, and have never had a problem..... just the normal blurred vision that comes with dry eyes in the beginning. But that started right away (like the next day-ish) and was gone in 6 months, and it's the best thing I've ever done.

Something I have learned is that if you want to find something on the internet, you are going to find it. If you want to find people who have had bad lasik experiences, you will find them. But you'll find just as many (if not more) who have had great experiences, too. It all depends on what you want to look up. You will make yourself crazy worrying about things that may or may not happen. You sound like your eyes are doing well, so breathe deep, and relax.
    Thanks a lot for the advice...it meant a lot to me. I'm just back from a eye checkup, and the doctor says everything's fine. My vision's around 6/6 in the left eye,and 6/5 in the right. I have a small thing I'd like to ask. I find that blinking isn't as comfortable as before, and it seems somewhat difficult. I have to consciously make myself blink regularly because it's not that spontaneous. Is this considered to be normal?

Old 01-20-2011, 09:55 AM   #4
    marisuela
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

Did you wear contacts before lasik? I found that after my lasik, I didn't blink as much as I did before, and I thought it was weird and not normal, but my doctor told me my definition of "normal blinking" was based on years of wearing contact lenses and that people with normal eyes don't blink that much. Could it be something like that?

Old 01-20-2011, 05:54 PM   #5
    jaikanthp
    (male)

jaikanthp HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by marisuela View Post
    Did you wear contacts before lasik? I found that after my lasik, I didn't blink as much as I did before, and I thought it was weird and not normal, but my doctor told me my definition of "normal blinking" was based on years of wearing contact lenses and that people with normal eyes don't blink that much. Could it be something like that?
    Nope, I've never worn contacts. I'm 20 now and have been wearing glasses since I was 9.

Also, my eyes are getting tired pretty quickly. I had a really bad headache yesterday, and I had to take a painkiller. That didn't help much though, so i slept early. That cleared it.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:58 AM   #6
    marisuela
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hmmm.... no idea on the blinking.

As far as your eyes getting tired, well, they just went through major surgery not too long ago and are still in the process of healing. They need time, so baby them and give them a chance to heal!

Closed Thread