It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Apple Cider Vinegar for reflux

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-19-2010, 08:07 AM   #31
    dcguy
    (male)

dcguy HB Userdcguy HB Userdcguy HB User
    Re: Apple Cider Vinegar for reflux

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rosebloom View Post
    Given your explanation, any type of vinegar should work. It does not have to be the "organic" type with the mother, etc.
    Can anyone confirm if this is true? I can't find the organic mother type near me, so don't want to order online if I don't have to. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2010, 09:17 AM   #32
    EagleRiverDee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dcguy View Post
    Can anyone confirm if this is true? I can't find the organic mother type near me, so don't want to order online if I don't have to. Thanks.
    As far as I know, the organic type that has the Mother in it is the only stuff that works- something about the active culture is what helps. The other stuff is organically dead.

In addition to health food stores, many grocery stores have a small "health food" section where this is sold. Fred Meyer, Carrs, Safeway, Krogers...they all carry it.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:48 AM   #33
    rosebloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dcguy View Post
    I think that, if one looks at this scientifically, any type of apple cider vinegar should work. I use Braggs when I use it to drink with water because I can find it in the health food store. I think the vinegar works or helps because it neutralizes the acid. There is probably nothing magical about apple cider vinegar. I used balsamic vinegar in my salads and find that I have better digestion when I use it too. You may want to try a nice balsamic vinegar in your salads with dinner and see if that helps your heartburn.

Rose

Old 10-20-2010, 02:27 PM   #34
    bdrunner79
    Veteran
    (male)

bdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rosebloom View Post
    I think that, if one looks at this scientifically, any type of apple cider vinegar should work. I use Braggs when I use it to drink with water because I can find it in the health food store. I think the vinegar works or helps because it neutralizes the acid. There is probably nothing magical about apple cider vinegar. I used balsamic vinegar in my salads and find that I have better digestion when I use it too. You may want to try a nice balsamic vinegar in your salads with dinner and see if that helps your heartburn.

Rose
    Correct. The mother or whatever, isn't involved in acid reflux at all. It's the acetic acid which all vinegar has.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:14 PM   #35
    rosebloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdrunner79 View Post
    Correct. The mother or whatever, isn't involved in acid reflux at all. It's the acetic acid which all vinegar has.
    Thank you. I know you can explain all this much better than I can.

Rose

Old 01-22-2011, 02:08 PM   #36
    Dianescat
    (female)

Dianescat HB User

I'm wondering if the burning in your throat is caused by the GERD, which
    backs up undigested food and acid from the stomach.

I think for me that taking both ACV and the Hydrocholic acid capsules before a meal that has a lot of protein, fat, spices, etc, helps digest the food and that there is not Backup into the throat.

The ACV goes down easy and doesn't really stay in the throat area. Are you saying it burns while swallowing? It can be very diluted if necessary, or mixed with juice ...

I was on omeprazole for awhile and it did help GERD symptoms, but then caused gas and bloating...

Closed Thread