It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Ferritin and dizziness/balance

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-19-2010, 10:45 AM   #1
    tibby2
    (female)

tibby2 HB User
    Ferritin and dizziness/balance

hey mac!

I also have crashing fatigue where I just cannot seem to keep going for a second longer but I always seem to keep going!

god i get this also..it comes on like someones put a pile of bricks on top of me ,and all i want to do is sleeeeeeeeepp,its extremely difficult to make yourself keep going when this decends!I also feel VERY fatigued with it ,as in week like my limbs have just zero energy ,my legs feel like they ache really deep inside,it actualy hurts..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2010, 11:33 AM   #2
    Mac2
    (female)

Mac2 HB User
    Re: Ferritin and dizziness/balance

Hi Tibby2

How long have you suffered with low ferritin?

I actually haven't been on the boards for a while. I have been taking iron for about two years now and still cannot get my levels up. I think I am at about 55 now but need to go a bit higher than that! I used to suffer from terrible tiredness and would indeed take a nap each afternoon. Now for me it is a lot better and I don't need to sleep at all through the day.

Mac2

Old 08-19-2010, 11:42 AM   #3
    tibby2
    (female)

tibby2 HB User

Ive been taking iron for 3 years mac! but probs iron was getting low long before that..so probably about 4 years i imagine...and 3 long years of black poo!lol

Old 08-19-2010, 11:45 AM   #4
    tibby2
    (female)

tibby2 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tibby2 View Post
    Ive been taking iron for 3 years mac! but probs iron was getting low long before that..so probably about 4 years i imagine...and 3 long years of black poo!lol
    btw..thats interesting you say you have a way to go yet...makes me think maybe i have too...and i was the same as you also,had to sleep every afternoon..just physicaly could NOT keep going.,plus as we talked about last year i was sooooo dizzy aswell..thats not so bad now but definatl;ey still there mildly.so as i said im much better than i was,but im starting to wonder if im still not high enough for me!

Old 08-19-2010, 11:51 AM   #5
    Mac2
    (female)

Mac2 HB User

Sorry, Tibby, forgot to mention that normal ferritin levels should be about either 69 or 79. I can't remember which it is. So, I would not consider ourselves cured until higher than that. That's what I'm aiming for! There are lots of bodily functions that depend on these levels so hopefully when we attain that we will make a miraculous recovery!

My daughter who is only 13 has very heavy periods which is the way I have always been. Her ferritin was down to 14. I got her checked because she was having dizzy spells. She has risen to about 45 and no longer has the dizziness. Just goes to show though that I/you could have suffered from low levels since we were very young! Just to add, she has not taken iron for as long as me and in comparison her levels are rising much quicker than mine.

Mac2

Old 08-19-2010, 01:31 PM   #6
    tibby2
    (female)

tibby2 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac2 View Post
    Sorry, Tibby, forgot to mention that normal ferritin levels should be about either 69 or 79. I can't remember which it is. So, I would not consider ourselves cured until higher than that. That's what I'm aiming for! There are lots of bodily functions that depend on these levels so hopefully when we attain that we will make a miraculous recovery!

My daughter who is only 13 has very heavy periods which is the way I have always been. Her ferritin was down to 14. I got her checked because she was having dizzy spells. She has risen to about 45 and no longer has the dizziness. Just goes to show though that I/you could have suffered from low levels since we were very young! Just to add, she has not taken iron for as long as me and in comparison her levels are rising much quicker than mine.

Mac2
    mac..my 18 year daughter also has low ferratin levels!and i think you are absaloutley right about it being an ongoing issue..i was VERY anemic after both of my kids(both c sections) the last one my heamaglobin was on a 7!!!! that was 10 years ago and i only took iron for a couple of months lol..looking back ,i cant believe the doctors didnt iv me iron! i hemoraged quite seriously both times..but only got a transfusion with my daughter..18 years ago.
    I bet i never really got my iron up properly since then but no doctor has ever mentioned it untill 3 years ago.It explains a hell of alot tho mac..a real hell of alot...i never seem to have as much sustainable energy as other people and feel constanty guilty about it..im defo a sprinter rather than a long distance runner..
    As for normal levels,one dr i saw said he would like to see mine above a hundred..and that having low iron is like driving a car on empty all the time.
    have decided now to be extra vigilant with my iron pills,coz i often miss days etc..
    hey good luck with your miraculas recovery!haha i do hope so..hey maybe after the menopause it will happen!?bloody periods, hormones, etc..pain in the arse arnt they

oh yeah..and the wieght thing..i have read that iron plays an essential role in metabolism..maybe this is an explaination.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:45 AM   #7
    Mac2
    (female)

Mac2 HB User

Yes, I too was anaemic with my first pregnancy.

Talking about GPs, well they know NOTHING about this condition. I have seen a good few over the last couple of years and they don't seem to worry that the ferritin is low. However, a new GP joined (very young)and she has actually took the time to look into it and agrees that my levels should be much higher. She is very good too with my vestibular problems and actually seems to care, makes a change!

I don't really miss days with my iron but I am supposed to take 3 x 210mg per day. I only take two pills, I think that's enough! As for the menopause, I've been told it doesn't make any difference to the dizziness etc once you are through it - so not holding out much hope there! I am talking from the inner ear point of view here.

Whilst I don't take a nap in the afternoon now, I'm not saying I'm full of energy - I can wake up in the morning yawning - lol!

So, are you saying that once we have got our levels up we will start to lose weight - won't hang around for that one either - haha - but it would be nice!

Take care

Mac2

Old 01-23-2011, 06:01 PM   #8
    Diana OClair
    (female)

Diana OClair HB User
    Ferritin level a 4...

Hi....

I am new to this board. On Friday after a month of iron treatments or oral iron I was diagnosed with a ferritin deficiency. I had never even heard of ferritin. Since Friday I spent an immense amount of time reading as much as I can locate on anemia caused by low ferritin. I am still very confused.

I sit typing on here with a copy of my blood work beside me:

Whit Blood Cell 7.8
    Hemoglobin 10L (I thought this was great as I was admitted to the hospital the Sunday after Thanksgiving because it was 5.8L)
    Hemocrit 33L
    Platelet 440
    Mean Corpuscular Volume 75.2 L
    Mean Corpuscular HGB Concentration 30.3 L
    Red Cell Distribution Width-CV 22.2

Iron Level 19 L
    Total Iron Binding 581

% Transferrin Saturation 3L

Ferritin L4

I am supposed to hear from a hemotologist this week to have them set up some type of IV treatment. I know sooo very little about all this. If anyone can enlighten me, please do!

Thank You.
    Diana

Old 01-24-2011, 07:58 AM   #9
    Mac2
    (female)

Mac2 HB User
    Smile Re: Ferritin and dizziness/balance

Hi Diana

Sorry to hear about your problems.

I don't understand your readings as I have never had any of these tests done myself.

I do know however, that ferritin is very important to your body. I was never diagnosed as being anaemic (not within the last few years anyway), because my hemoglobin tests were fine, however my ferritin came back at 10.

Your ferritin is L4, I'm not sure what the 'L' means, I'm assuming it could mean level? Anyway, if it is standing at 4 then that's pretty low.

Do you have any symptoms? Hair loss, tiredness, etc?

What has your iron treatment consisted of? I can tell you that it has taken me over two years of taking over 400mg per day to reach a satisfactory level. My last reading was 109 last September. My daughter who is 14 started at ferritin 14 a year ago and her reading was up to 86 last September.

It does take a long time to get your levels back up but I do feel a lot better now. I used to have to sleep nearly every afternoon because I was so exhausted but not any more. I wouldn't say I was jumping around with loads of energy but I don't need rest through the day now!

I am sorry also that I don't know anything about IV treatment as I have never had that or been offered it. I am UK based and in my experience with this the GPs just don't really want to know about it They think it's ok to be low in ferritin but it really is not.

Many women lose hair with this condition - I was lucky to just have a little bit of thinning going on - and your body needs to have a ferritin level of 79 to even produce new hair - and still the GPs don't listen.

Anyway, sorry that I cannot be much help to you - if you have any other questions please ask and hopefully someone else will be able to read your blood work results for you

Mac2

Old 01-28-2011, 11:01 AM   #10
    rosiecrowe
    (female)

rosiecrowe HB User

I HIGHLY recommend those dealing with low ferritin to read the below link (and low is anything below 50 . . . optimal is 70-90 . . . ignore what your traditional docs say . . . believe me, mine was 24 and I had TONS of symptoms: hair loss, fatigue, memory problems, chest pains, dizziness, irritability, exercise intolerance, palor, insomnia, etc., etc. And all this despite my thyoroid and adrenals being well treated). All these went away once I got my levels up to 78.

Also, make sure to check your kids' ferritin if you're low. B/c they can only have as much iron as you have (if you're female). My kids' ferritin levels were 9 and 13!!! That is severely low. And they had tons of symptoms as well. We had to take approx 150 mg of ELEMENTAL IRON (in capsule form .. . liquid can stain teeth) to get ours up to optimal in 2 months. Be sure to take vitamin C along with your iron for absorption issues and to off-set free radicals produced by iron. I buy my iron from Vitacost (Ferrochel Iron -- 18mg capsules). We took 4 at breakfast and 4 at lunch. For maintenance 1 per day is good . . . perhaps 2 for women during their period. Otherwise, your levels will most likely plummet again. I know many, like Mac2, are afraid of overdosing . . . I understand. But you simply could not overdose with such low storage iron . . . you'd have to have a ferritin over 100 and take more than 200mg elemental iron (available iron) per day for a few months to overdose.

I was nervous about it at first (especially for my young kids), but taking 50 mg per day was barely moving our ferritin up at all . . . at that rate we'd probably never get to optimal. And having low ferritin is a serious issue. You'll find that high dosing is the case with any severe vitamin/mineral deficiency . . . like vitamin D, which everyone should also test (but make sure you test the active form, called Vitamin D 3). Hope this helps! Smile . . . there's hope .

Last edited by moderator2; 01-28-2011 at 11:32 AM. Reason: please do not post commercial websites

Closed Thread