It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Lexapro for anxiety... My daily experience with it.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-24-2011, 08:19 PM   #16
    t_411
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

t_411 HB Usert_411 HB Usert_411 HB User
    Re: Lexapro for anxiety... My daily experience with it.

Day 10.
    Couldn't sleep till 3AM last night.... I guess lexapro is causing me a little insomnia. Aside from that, I haven't woken with anxiety as I had been... No anxiety at all, all day and night. Today was another normal day for me which is good considering my anxiety was so bad the day I went to the dr for the lexapro, I thought I was losing my mind. That same day, I actually called an in patient mental health center here to see if they could help me with my anxiety. I've never done that before but like I said, my anxiety was out of control at that point.
    I'll be taking my lexapro tonight at 11:30PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2011, 08:25 PM   #17
    MaryA
    (female)

MaryA HB UserMaryA HB User

Good luck with the Lexapro. I really liked it, and my side effects were minimal.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:27 PM   #18
    t_411
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

day 11.

Today I've had a tiny set back.... I'm not sure if it's a side effect or just me?
    I've had some slight burning/tension in my arms, legs, and face. I sometimes get this right before anxiety attacks and I kind of had something similar near the start of lexapro but it was more intense. When I woke feeling this way, I sort of had a small freak out in my mind... Thinking, omg, should I get this medication out of my body!! I guess it's just the odd feelings playing with my mind. I've been able to function normally though.

Now, I'm thinking maybe I should add more mg's to my dose?? I'm only on 5mg. So far it's been fairly easy on me and helped with the anxiety, etc... But my days though normal, are still a little bla. I might add another 2.5mg to the mix after a week from now to see if it's better for me.
    I feel like I'm "ok" on 5mg, but on the verge of something better that I'm just not getting with 5mg's....

Old 01-29-2011, 10:03 PM   #19
    t_411
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Day 12, 13, 14, were all about the same. No anxiety. I do feel I could use a little more mg's though because I'm not as easy going as I was in the start now that my body has adjusted to the meds and stuff....

Day 15. Today I have felt nauseous off and on most of the day having the urge to puke but not puking, queasy stomach, and a few hot flashes. It's not the right time in my hormonal cycle to have them based on my period and I'm for sure not pregnant.

I've been taking the lexapro around midnight or so every night and still having trouble getting sleepy when I need to go to bed.

Other than that things have been ok.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:28 AM   #20
    janart
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janart HB User

Keep posting I'm interested in how you are doing. I am thinking about going back on it but it made me clench my jaws alot which was painful and I also didn't want to get off the couch. But I was on higher dose. My sister is taking it (15mg) along with seroquel and she is very tired. We just switched the lex to night time for her so maybe it will help.(I am her guardian, she has mild retardation at mood disorder). Good luck

Old 02-01-2011, 05:30 PM   #21
    t_411
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Day 16 & 17.

I've continued taking lexapro at night around 11 to 12 midnight.... I'm still having trouble falling asleep so I'm going to try over the next few days to take it an hour earlier each day to see what hour is best for me to get to sleep at a reasonable hour yet not have to go through any of the side effects I was experiencing around 3+ hours after taking it in the day. I'm not sure if I'll even have any side effects at this point but for sure taking it at night has gotten me past the very sleepy, fatigued stage I was having while taking it in the day. As I said before, while taking it in the day, it would come on after 3+ hours of taking lexapro and then pass after about 4 hours and I'd feel mostly normal.

Day 16, I hardly got any sleep at all and was still able to function the next day some how. I did get tired a little earlier that night than I normally do but still had things to do so I couldn't hit the sack around 9pm as I would have liked to. I had a fairly good amount of energy after 3PM though and was able to help my sister load a large truck of junk from her garage. I was pooped after that though! Mood wise, I do seem to be getting back to being a tiny bit less patient which is another reason I think I will add another 2.5mg in a week or two to see if it helps. No anxiety AT ALL and in a pretty good mood overall.

Day 17, I couldn't sleep till around 2AM but I did get to sleep long and good thank goodness! It's been taking me a little longer to get motivated in the mornings.... Like my bigger energy don't really kick in till after 3PM but I'm in the mood for things more after 1pm. Not really a tired feeling... Just kind of a lazy feeling, like I need some chillout time/me time. Today around 1PM I had enough energy to help my sister again, haul off that truck load of junk and unload it. Not very fun but good exercise and I was in good spirits.

I have noticed something new... I've been getting a little forgetful & saying things backwards for the last 3 or 4 days, or not pronouncing things right for example, husband every now and then comes out as huband, or morning comes out as moring and so on, as if to be tongue tied. I've only ever had this issue once before when my thyroid was going back into a hypo faze so can't say for sure what's causing it. I see my dr soon and will see what my thyroid numbers say.

My husband's been calling lexapro my "happy pill". He thinks I'm in a much better mood and seem to be enjoying life and people more than before.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:47 PM   #22
    t_411
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Day 18, I had a pretty good day. Woke feeling well though I had trouble falling asleep lastnight as I have since I started this med. No anxiety. In a pretty good mood. I did have some sweating today though I was not hot or nervous at all. I didn't get sleepy at any point through the day today but I didn't really do anything to kill energy and I got to sleep in a few extra hours.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:16 PM   #23
    t_411
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Day 19, 20, 21, 22.

All of these days were fine except day 20 I had a LOT of sweating and day 21 I woke feeling very tired with fatigued muscles which may or may not be due to my thyroid. I've still been having trouble falling asleep at night every night. Other than that, things have been feeling pretty decent.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:45 PM   #24
    janart
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janart HB User

we changed my sisters dose to right after supper and it seems to take her longer to get to sleep even with the 50mg of seroquel. She was pretty sad today too. Man this has got to get better!

How is your appetite?

Old 02-06-2011, 09:02 PM   #25
    t_411
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Shortly after I take lexapro my stomach gets queasy and I feel a little urge to vomit/dry heave. While this happens I for sure don't want to eat but after it passes, I'm fine. Recently I lost a few pounds probably due to the queasy belly but I have now gained it all back and I think my appetite is growing cause I'm wanting to eat more often than my regular meal times.

Another thing I can't remember if I posted or not was that I've been having to pee about every hour while awake and my bladder is about to explode in the mornings. Does Lexapro have some sort of diuretic in it?

You said you changed her dose.... What did you change it to? If you lowered it, you should slowly taper her down to the dose you want to try her on so she don't have SSRI withdrawl symptoms. Be patient with here as I'm sure her life is not an easy one to deal with. I have a friend who is in your situation as well except they are brothers and one has moderate retardation. Both of their parents died in an accident. He has days where he just don't know if he can do it (take care of his brother) because it effects every part of his life and make things so much harder.... There's no other option for either of them though so they do the best they can. I'll pray for the both of you that things get better for you all.

About taking lexapro at night..... I've been meaning to try to take it around 8:00PM instead of between 11 to midnight and see if that helps me be able to sleep when it's time to sleep.
    If I take it at midnight I fall asleep between 3 to 4 AM and if I take it at 11 PM I fall asleep around 2 AM. so maybe you can giver her meds about 3 hours before bed time and see if it helps. I'll start doing this as well tomorrow night and let you know how it works out for me as well. Remember, all antidepressants effects every person differently so how they do for me may not be how they do for her at all. That's the crapy thing about these types of meds.

Wishing you and your sister lots of luck and happiness!!!

Goodnight

Old 02-07-2011, 06:04 AM   #26
    janart
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janart HB User

I actually didn't mean to say I changed her dose I just meant I changed the time sorry. She still on 15 mg but the last few days she has been taking it with supper which is about 6:30 or 7. Then she takes the seroquel about 8 or so. You mentioned about the tapering I can tell you that is true for sure. When I was on it and tried to get off it was rough. I was dizzy and sick, even with the taper.
    Yes this has definately been a rough road since she has come to live with us. We had a good 3 years with lex/abilify combo. It was great except for tiredness. But then she started getting akathisia so had to stop abilify. Its been a struggle since October. She has went from 119lbs to 103. I too say sometimes I just can't do this anymore (especially when I struggle with depression myself) But I would hate life without her so we will keep on keeping on. Anyway sorry didn't mean to turn all of this on me. Please keep me updated because I'm thinking about going back on Lex.

Thanks (:

Old 02-09-2011, 03:08 PM   #27
    (male)

5088 HB User

I took lexapro for a few months ,it made me feel very good all the time ,I finally decided i could not take the insommia any more .

Insommia was the only problem i had ,and same insommia with zoloft .

Old 02-12-2011, 10:13 PM   #28
    t_411
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

to 5088, I agree, insomnia has been an every night thing so far except for a couple of days.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:26 PM   #29
    t_411
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Days 23 through 29, I've mainly had insomnia every night this week. The last couple of days I have been sweating more. It's the week before my period and I've been getting hot flashes so all of this added to the sweating I get from lexapro has been wetting the under-arms of my shirts for 2 days now. I've had some grouchy moods as well which is the usual for me the week before my period. I figured lexapro might help with that (grouchy PMS) but it's not. It is helping with everything else though. No anxiety. Not as tired/sleepy during the day as long as I get enough sleep.

I'm still taking the lexapro late at night between 11:00PM and midnight. I did take it one time around 8PM thinking I may be able to get to sleep earlier but I still couldn't sleep before 2AM. Maybe I need to take it around 7PM for a week or two and see if that helps with the sleeping issues........ I've not had anymore crazy dreams, thank goodness! On the 18th, I'll be upping my dose of lexapro from 5mg's to 7.5mg's.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:53 PM   #30
    t_411
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

days 30 through 36, I've been wetting the armpits of my shirts from sweating so much even though I'm not hot or anything that should cause this. I'm still having trouble falling asleep before 2AM every night...
    Had my 1st period since starting lexapro and it was not the norm at all. All my life, most of my periods are about 5 days long. This time, the 1st day I only spotted very little, the 2nd day was VERY heavy with a lot of clots, the 3rd day I spotted very little and it ended half way through the day. Something is for sure odd with that....... The week before my period I had a tiny bit of mild anxiety/restlessness for a short while. Last month though before starting this med, it was the week before my period when I had an anxiety melt down and had to go on something. I guess mine tends to get worse the week before my period. Other than that, I've been fine. I still have not gone up to a higher dose yet.

Closed Thread