It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Niacin complex to lower cholesterol

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-09-2010, 12:44 PM   #31
    yackedar
    Veteran
    (male)

yackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB User
    Re: Niacin complex to lower cholesterol

Thanks for the update guys.

I'm just wondering why the German government permits it's doctor's to prescribe IHN for high cholesterol patients.

I suppose their medical advisors' must have read different 'human' studies, or carried out their own (which they did).
    However, it could be because IHN is the preferred treatment over Niacin for intermittent claudication because of Niacin's side effects, therefore killing two birds with one stone and at a cheaper price for a country renowned the world over for it's excellent healthcare system.

From a US article I recently read:
    The rising popularity of IHN is a clear financial threat to Niaspan. Many authors of articles and studies written in the US disparaging IHN, were later found to be funded by the 'little pharmas' of Niaspan. Tut-Tut.

So disparaging does not originate just from 'big pharma' after all.

Yack

Last edited by yackedar; 02-09-2010 at 01:11 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2010, 02:41 PM   #32
    ACE28
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB User

INH has been around for a very long time, like wise with Policosanol.I've been on many different boards for quite awhile. If it worked with decent results, we would see numerous postings about this product. The inconsistent studies and the lack of beneficial effects does not make it worth taking, at present.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:39 PM   #33
    LPZ
    (female)

LPZ HB User

I have heard of Nutri Chol-Less, and each of the ingredients are reputed to be beneficial in cholesterol management. I have no experience, however, with the varying specific types of niacin, other than the fact of its success in cholesterol management. The Mayo Clinic states it's the "most effective drug available" for raising HDL, and it does indeed also lower LDL and triglycerides.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:44 PM   #34
    missy222
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User

Hi LPZ,

Thanks for the post. I am glad someone has heard of this product. The posts here have been very interesting, but confusing as to whether the product will work. Will keep everyone posted as soon as my blood tests are due.

Thanks again,
    Missy

Old 03-03-2010, 09:54 AM   #35
    ACE28
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Plain Immediate Release Niacin and Prescription Extended release NIASPAN will always work. Scientific research has proved this in numerous studies. Physicians prescribe it all the time. No other form of Niacin has proven to be effective.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:21 AM   #36
    polacekt
    (male)

polacekt HB User

There are two non-prescription brands of extended-release niacin which also have controlled clinical studies published, verifying there dissolution, kinetics, safety, and efficacy. Slo-Niacin, which uses the same methyl cellulose base of Niaspan, and Endur-acin, a wax-matrix preparation with very good tolerability. Each has a 6 hr dissolution similar to Niaspan. Regardless of which is used, liver enzymes need to be monitored.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:49 AM   #37
    ACE28
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

polacekt;

I also believe they are effective. Your correct about monitoring the liver enzymes. It seems any Suspended Release or Extended release Niacin formulas carries a much greater risk of liver damage than plain Immediate Release. As I mentioned in a previous post, doses as high as 20,000 mg a day of Immediate Release were being researched for Psychiatric Issues, with very few cases of increased liver enzymes. Suspended release has caused actual Liver Failure.

Last edited by mod-anon; 03-04-2010 at 09:36 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 03-04-2010, 12:38 PM   #38
    jacal5
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jacal5 HB Userjacal5 HB User

I was wondering by what mechanism does Niacin improve HDL/LDL levels?

Does Niacin deposit cholesterol in the gall bladder like the statins or does the body eliminate it?

It seems treating one condition raises the risk factor for another, taking
    statins may reduce the risk for heart disease, but everyone I know who takes statins had their gall bladders removed, increasing their risk for colon cancer, so I don't want to recommend Niacin to anyone until I understand how it works to improve cholesterol levels.

Last edited by jacal5; 03-04-2010 at 12:44 PM.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:12 AM   #39
    yackedar
    Veteran
    (male)

yackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB Useryackedar HB User

Hi Jacal5,

I was under the impression that taking statins decrease the chances of gall bladder removal, certainly in middle aged women.

Lipitor or Zocor appear to reduce the need for gallbladder surgery in middle-age women, according to data from the Nurses' Health Study.
    An ongoing Nurses' Health Study was started in 1976 with 121,700 female registered nurses, aged from 30 to 55 years.

To date, it has been found that taking general cholesterol-lowering drugs lowered the likelihood of having the gallbladder removed by 12 percent; statins, specifically, lowered the odds by 18 percent.

Yak-e-Dar

Last edited by yackedar; 03-05-2010 at 12:13 PM.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:36 PM   #40
    polacekt
    (male)

polacekt HB User

thanks Yak for the info on the Nurses Health study. that is very helpful.

With regard to Jacal's question about how niacin works, it is extremely complicated. It has been used since the 50s and investigators are still trying to work out all the details. I'm not kidding, there are like 11 distinct mechanisms (so far) and you need a biochemistry degree to understand them.

The main, easily explainable mechanism is reduction of fatty acid synthesis in adipose tissue, which reduces the substrate for triglyceride synthesis. Ultimately, this TG reduction results in less LDL production in the liver (as well as IDL and VLDL) and less apolipoprotein B - the atherogenic protein of cholesterol.

HDL is another story and less well understood. HDL has a distinct role called Reverse Cholesterol Transport, which carries LDL back to the liver, thus there is less need to produce more. Niacin is thought to preserve the integrity of the HDL or induce the transport mechanism.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:12 AM   #41
    ACE28
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

The way most medications work is still not entirely known by doctors and researchers. Hypertensive medications are a perfect example. They work by mechanisms that are not clearly understood or definitely proven. Most explanations are theory. Niacin definitely works by liver mechanisms to varying degrees. It's known that the liver produces cholesterol, and any mechanism which interferes with this liver process can effect cholesterol production. Statins are very similar. Niacin also improves other areas of health which are still not understood.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:36 PM   #42
    unityemissions
    (male)

unityemissions HB User

Jebus, there's so much misinformation out there.

Okay, to set the record straight, INH works just as well, if not better than pure niacin. Niacinamide works for many people. Niacin works well for some.

Niacin will most easily cause the flush. It will also most easily provide the full health benefits.

Many can't handle the flush, and will opt for niacinamide, or INH. Many people readily convert niacinamide to niacin, so there's no worry. Some don't.

Most will be okay with INH, but for some it won't be as effective as pure niacin. This seems to depend on genetics, mostly.

I take INH, 3 grams daily, and certainly have noticed improvements, from memory, to concentration, to breathing deeper and having better cardio-endurance.

If some tests show no niacin in the bloodstream with INH, there's obviously a reason for this. First I would think the tests were taken shortly after dosing, which is ridiculous, as peak niacin isn't observed until ~10-12hrs after digestion. Just take it more frequently, and you will have same benefits.

Peace.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:55 PM   #43
    unityemissions
    (male)

unityemissions HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ACE28 View Post
    Plain Immediate Release Niacin and Prescription Extended release NIASPAN will always work. Scientific research has proved this in numerous studies. Physicians prescribe it all the time. No other form of Niacin has proven to be effective.
    Why do you keep saying this?

This is just pure hogwash.

I go on google scholar all the time, and have seen numerous studies which conclude INH is either as effective, or even slightly more effective, than pure niacin, for stabilizing lipids.

Last edited by unityemissions; 02-07-2011 at 12:56 PM.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:03 AM   #44
    yackedar
    Veteran
    (male)

Have to agree with you on this topic Unityemissions.

Nice to come across another member that accumulates information from all over the world and not just locally.

Yack.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:35 AM   #45
    unityemissions
    (male)

unityemissions HB User

Thanks yack

I don't much care for an appeal to authority (logical fallacy) or where the hell the information comes from, to be honest.

It seems best to just integrate every little bit and run it through what's already known to test for it's probability of validity.

The most bizarre realization I've made over the last decade is that common sense is DEAD. So it's best to just throw out all traditional approaches to acquiring knowledge and judging other people, and just get down to the nitty gritty of what people want, need, and how the hell we go about setting these things up (knowledge + wisdom).

Peace.

Last edited by unityemissions; 02-08-2011 at 10:39 AM.

Closed Thread