It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board

• On Chantix, 3.5 weeks smoke free, need advice about stopping

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-15-2011, 02:26 PM   #1
    dotDaSHx4
    (male)

dotDaSHx4 HB User
    On Chantix, 3.5 weeks smoke free, need advice about stopping

Initially my biggest concern with Chantix was the mental health warnings (why I didn't quit cigs a while ago). Doctor didn't seem concerned and wrote me a script for Xanax to go with if I needed it. Started taking the Chantix, the night of day 1 on week 2 (first day you go to 1mg x 2) I smoked my last cigarette. I am now halfway through week 1 of the second box.

I can't say I've had any real mental health issues. I never usually remember dreams but have remembered at least one each night, sometimes they are rather weird but nothing crazy like when I took Paxil.

Besides remembering dreams and them being occasionally odd the biggest issue I have is my mental awareness. I feel like I am off daydreaming all the time. I also feel queasy, some anxiety and generally "off." Don't know how else to put it I just feel like my machinery is not performing optimally so to speak. Both my mind and body are in the clouds I guess.

I have not had any relapses since I stopped smoking, my cravings are minimal, mostly in the morning when I have coffee. I smoked a 1-1.5 packs a day since I was 18, 29 now, with 2 total quit attempts of 6 months and another of 1 year in there both cold turkey, and one failed attempt that never got off the ground with the patch.

I feel that Chantix is becoming something of a hazard, especially driving. The Xanax addresses the anxiety (of course) but I am limited to taking that until I am home for the day as it only exasperates the other problems I am having with Chantix and I am not a fan of xanax in general.

If I were to stop taking Chantix before the 3 months should I expect stronger cravings? Is it better to taper off or quit outright? Should I just deal with it? Hoping someone can help me out. Paying for the 3rd month isn't a problem really just the side affects that bother. I will say that stopping ciggs this time was enormously easier with Chantix than when I stopped cold turkey and I am grateful but I feel like I am through the worst and could take it on my own from here just don't know what to expect if I stop.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2011, 06:58 PM   #2
    stressy
    (female)

stressy HB Userstressy HB Userstressy HB Userstressy HB User
    Re: On Chantix, 3.5 weeks smoke free, need advice about stopping

I took chantix for 4 weeks - the last week I weaned down to just a half a pill at the end. I was worried, but I think it was ok. The nicotine is out of your system, and the habit was under control. I had cravings but nothing that I couldn't handle. Just don't give in to any cravings. It gets easier... I have been smoke free now for 4 months. If you feel like you have a problem you can always go back to the chantix, but I think you will be fine!!!!

Just don't smoke!

Closed Thread