It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

• 24 year old with questions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-16-2011, 10:23 AM   #1
    adam4little
    (male)

adam4little HB User
    24 year old with questions

I realize that posting on here is probably a big no no and I should turn around and just walk out the internet door haha. The thing is, I have driven my girlfriend, my mother, my brother, my friends, hell, even my cats all mad because I can't stop asking my hypochondriacal questions. I laugh, but I trully am going crazy and I dont know what anyone here will really be able to tell me anyways.

The symptoms of colon cancer are vague..am I right? Ok so I was a vegeatarian for 2 years and I went to this Christmas party a couple of months ago and I got really drunk and stupid and went to town on this plate of ham. Needless to say I started experiencing bowel troubles after-constipation mainly.Ive also been a 'shy pooper' -so bad that I have always made my family go to town so I could use the bathroom (ridiculous I know) So around this time I started a new job and the bathroom at my new job sucks and is very public so I pretty much only had a two hour window to use the bathroom in the mornings (after my gf left for work) Because of the poop pressure I started drinking coffee heavily to help get this stuff out because I was obsessed with having an empty bowel before going to work. Anyways, I eventually got somewhat regular and life was good. A week ago I developed nausea. The nausea has been mild, worse when moving from a sitting to standing position and vice versa. It's been bad enough that I keep complaining about it-but Ive still been hungry and everything. Anyways couple of days ago I lost my appetite. I mean, dont get my wrong, alot of it is due to the fact that I feel more nauseaus when I eat but also a part of it is due to really high levels of anxiety. I took some pepto (two nights ago) ate anyways and freaked out the next day when I had black stool. I checked online and black stool means colon cancer. So that was in my head, I rush to the walk in clinic-they tell me pepto can also cause black stool-but now the colon cancer idea is there and like any anxious person knows it won't leave. So at the doctor's I am experiencing all the symptoms -choking, fatigue etc. He does an X Ray and finds I have a large amount of feces backed up in my colon. He prescribes miralax and gives me the name of a GI if it doesnt clear up. He says this MIGHT explain the occassional pencil stools, the nausea, gas, bloating, etc. When I asked him about colon cancer he said he wouldnt jump the gun but he also wouldnt discount it...seems like a reasonable man.

I pooped this morning and it was black again. I am hungry but I feel like I cant eat. I am very anxious about all of this. I dont want to have to have a colonoscopy because it sounds so painful. Will someone give me some comforting words? Thanks

Oh btw-24 yr old No family history of cancer if that helps

Also my lack of appetite comes and goes. Last night I ate, today it is harder...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2011, 03:46 PM   #2
    Kali333
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User
    Re: 24 year old with questions

Black stools could mean a lot of things, including too much iron or a peptic ulcer.
    I wouldn't jump the gun assuming you have colon cancer; it's incredibly rare at your age.
    You're under a doctor's care, and I'm sure your doctor will figure out what's causing this.
    I doubt it's cancer. Really.

Best of luck.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:53 PM   #3
    Kali333
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User
    Re: 24 year old with questions

Maybe these statistics will help you feel better; they're from the American Cancer Society website:

Colon Cancer

The median age at colon cancer diagnosis for 2000-2003 was 71 years of age. The percentages of people diagnosed with colon cancer based on age were:

* 0.0 percent were diagnosed under age 20
    * 0.9 percent between 20 and 34
    * 3.5 percent between 35 and 44
    * 10.9 percent between 45 and 54
    * 17.6 percent between 55 and 64
    * 25.9 percent between 65 and 74
    * 28.8 percent between 75 and 84
    * 12.3 percent 85+ years of age.

Additional research shows that that tiny, tiny percentage of people who get colon cancer before age 30 usually suffer from hereditary nonpolyposis colorectal cancer (HNPCC). This is a genetic predisposition to cancer of the colon, breast, and ovary. You'd know if this applied to you, because most of your family members would have been diagnosed with these cancers.
    The fact that you have "no family history" of colon cancer means no genetic predisposition.

I'm surprised your doctor told you he "wouldn't discount" colon cancer.
    I mean, he shouldn't discount it, he should screen you for it.
    But at the same time, he should've shared with you the fact that at your age, your chance of having colon cancer is negligible.

Last edited by Kali333; 02-16-2011 at 03:54 PM.

Closed Thread