It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• RE:Adult ADD ..Help ! I Need peoples experiences w/ Adderalls effect on them

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-31-2003, 07:03 PM   #1
    Cindy12

Cindy12 HB User
    Post RE:Adult ADD ..Help ! I Need peoples experiences w/ Adderalls effect on them

Hello to Everyone ! I'm new to this board and hoping to be able to get some other users experiences with adderall and how it has effected them so I can decide if I should stay on it.I'm also hoping I'll be able to make some new friends here! I'm very new to taking Adderall .Here's my story ... My family and I have a long history of ADHD that I can trace back to my Grandmother , my Father , then Me and my Brother and now my 2 Boys . My boys have been diagnosed and on adderall since they were 3 & 6 . I know 3 is young( he was almost 4 ) but when he started threatening me while in the "time out chair" to cut my head off and burn the house down I felt I needed to get professional help. Meds have helped them tremendously.I am very well informed on ADD-ADHD and have read Hollowells books Driven to Distraction and Answers to Distraction and found them fasinating as I could relate to so much of what I read (read it and weep). The boys are now 11 & 14 and doing well
    (with some ups and downs,its always a struggle ) with intervention at school and support on my part.Its been a long rough road of learning disabilitys ,handling 2 ADD-ADHD Kids ( I have one of each ) , dealing w/a husband who did'nt think anything could be wrong w/ his kids ", a divorce , and a back disability . I'm 45 now and have suffered with magor depression for the past 8-10 years .I've been on Anti-depressants , had access to Valium type meds..ect,ect but they all seem to have a numbing effect on me and I have not responded very well to them.I've also tried all kinds of vitamin products some of which I'm on ( Sam-e is excellent ) .. but none of which have worked for my kids so please don't go there with your replys ok !) . Lets face it,life with my ADHD , 2 Kids with it & learning disabilitys, and then throw in a divorce
    ( actually my second ) and a back injury and its enough to put anyone over the deep end ! So I've had a rough time coping with everything and my energy levels and abilitys to function on a " normal" level ,if there is such a thing, have been greatly reduced. My shrink thought that I should try the ADD meds and see if it helped .I almost immediatly noticed within the first 2 hours that I was feeling more motivated and able to accomplish things . I just felt better than I had in many, many years ( I don't know if thats the "exagerated feeling of well being side effect" or me feeling better ? ) .. I seem to be taking a greater interest in myself and my appearence and just in ME in general ..I always put myself last interms of care it seems because I was so overwhelmed just doing what I had to do for the kids ect..My outlook on life is much better.. I have much more energy .. I seem to handle stress better which has always been a problem for me . Its almost like someone blew the dust out of my brain and I've come back to life again in just a few days ...Like a re-awakening of sorts . The meds seem to help me control my eating , which was out of control alot of the time and also has seemed to cut my need for alcohol. Either I'm handling stress better so I feel I don't need it to cope with it by drinking ... or I just don't feel the need when I'm stressed to drink because I'm calmer inside .. I don't know . I'm also not sleeping all the time , I was sleeping 12 hours a day ... no naps in the past few days ! ... BUT .. I noticed the dose that I started on was not as effective a few days later ? .. Do the effects kind of wear off at first untill you find the right dose ? Right now I'm trying 30 mgs time released a day.I am having problems with not being able to sleep, had that even on lower doses. But after sleeping the last 10 years away , its not so bad .. but I will need to figure a way to sleep at some point. My sleep is so light its not quality sleep right now.. Will I adjust and be able to sleep after a while ? Any help or sugestions you can give me as to how you felt when you started this medicine and how you are doing now would be really welcome ... I know I'm ADHD but I'm not sure my responces to this medicine are appropriate and mean that it is helping me .. I know I'm fuctioning on a much, much higher level than I was before , I know I feel much better ... If you have/had depression and ADHD also I'd love to hear from you and how the medicine has helped you or if it has or has not.I'm also wondering if the feel good feeling wares off and if its normal to feel this kind of "Better" on it ...Are there any sites that talk about how you "gage" the meds effectivness ? If you can relate to anything I am saying I'd love to hear from you .. thanks for listening ...

[This message has been edited by Cindy12 (edited 04-01-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2003, 09:57 PM   #2
    mkoffskey

mkoffskey HB User
    hello there, I read your post I too take ADDERAl 30mg tabs XR. I started this medication when I was a Freshman in College, and it helped me a great deal. Since I have finished and am currently in the medical/health field, so I can help you in personal experiences, as well as medical (I am fairly educated with the medication.) First off ADDERAL is a "Stimulant." Some people refer to it as "Government controlled speed" as it is a stimulant, possesing stimulant compounds. It is very effective in people with ADD, and ADHD. It also is used in people with narcolepsy, and not as often in Depression, and weight loss. Mainly ADD, and ADHD. Since ADDERAL is a stimulant it can be habit forming for tolerance to this medication becomes very high. Meaning the initial feeling of euphoria or sense of well being subsides quickly, and higher dosages are required to sustane this feeling or "high." So this feeling you have will subside as you use Adderal. I have experienced all the side effects you described. Insomnia (sleeplessness) will go away as your body gets used to the medication in a few days, also appetite suppresion with return gradualy. I also experienced irritability some time when using ADDERAL so be aware of this. ADDERAL is not used to get you "HIGH" it is used to focus and motivate a person. I also read you stopped driking alcohol this is good but also be aware that Adderal can be habit forming and in people who have had drug or alcohol abuse problems in the past may be in danger of abusing this medication. So be aware of this. People often quit a drug to replace it with another one, so be aware of this. It sounds like you are doing better though with the medication just remember to only take as perscribed. Sleep will come as your body adjust, if you do not get your sleep back notify your doctor because that could be serious. I can't remember every thing you questioned but if you have any questions I wil try to answer them as far as side effects or any other question. KOFF,

Old 04-01-2003, 05:40 AM   #3
    Cindy12

Cindy12 HB User
    Thank you so much for your reply and your information .. My drinking was never to the point of abuse, but I did use it to "self medicate" at times when I was stressed & feel I have lost the need for that at this time w/ the adderall because I'm calmer inside for the most part and handleing the stress better ...I have felt irratable at times.. I do know what you mean ..thanks again ... Cindy

Old 04-01-2003, 12:24 PM   #4
    miteebabe

miteebabe HB User
    Cindy12, I agree much of what mkoffskey said about adderall. I, too, started taking adderall 30 mg XR as a freshman in college and have been on it for about 6 months. I know exactly what you mean about how you felt the first couple of days you were on it. It was amazing, wasn't it? It was not just that "high," but it was the positive outlook and the reassurance that you could get things done as well. Unfortunately, that fades really, really soon, as you have already experienced. However, though the "high" is gone, I have continued to be on task and motivated in the 6 months I have been on it. Something else you should probably know is that it made me EXTEREMELY hostile, angry, and even explosive much of the time. And I am NOT this kind of person, trust me. Sometimes I feel like adderall is not just a drug, but a little voice in my head that tells me to be angry at minor things. Okay, don't think I am crazy--it is not literally a voice in my head, but do you kind of know what I mean? It's like, I am the same person deep down, but adderall has changed me profusely. I am now extremely anti-social and literally have transformed from an extravert (party-going, loved to be with people) to an extreme introvert (I never really want to see anyone, just be alone most of the time). I know that every person is different, but it is a fact that many, many people have experienced such side effects from long-term usage of this. Basically I am just telling you what it did to me. Nevertheless, I make perfect grades in college (I never made perfect grades even in high school!!) and I am always focused and on-task. I am also the opposite of a procrastinator (and believe me, I was never like this before). Obviously there are pros and cons and you will have to decide all this stuff for yourself. Good luck in the process!!!

Old 04-01-2003, 07:56 PM   #5
    mkoffskey

mkoffskey HB User
    Mitee- I know exactly what you you mean about your behavior toward social interaction, and over all perspective/behavior while on adderal, and yes the inital euphoric feelings at first are very welcomed! I remember feeling like I could do anything I wanted, or challenging any task and the motivation to do it was extreme! But this feeling does subside unfortunatly, that is why it is sometimes abused understandibly. I can comment on the social isolation, not realy isolation as you don't want to talk to any one, but I too would sit in my dorm room weekends and study or on thursday night (College parties) because I just did not feel like socializing. I'm not saying I never went out because trust me I did my fair share of crazy stuff and getting a little too tipsy in college, but if I was taking adderal that need, or wanting to go out was not as persistant, Ya know? I also would get VERY AGITATED or like you say Have outburst of aggressive behavior for really no aparant reason. You are right too for the smallest things, it would set me off and after an outburst I would ask myself "why in god's name did I act like that?" The outburst is almost like a blurr. That was a problem some times for me because I did alot of trainning/weight lifting in college and I would destroy things for nothing! I guess you learn in time to better control this aspect of the side effects. Any way good day, and hope everyone gets a little info...

Old 04-11-2003, 12:51 PM   #6
    Lindsey7

Lindsey7 HB User
    I have been on Adderall XR for over a year now. I take 60mg a day. I also have the problem of thinking the medicine is not working. I have noticed a change in that I am not staying focused with my college homework. Anyway, I am starting to think that maybe I think it is not working anymore because I don't get that "high" feeling like I did at first. I am trying to figure out if my body can become immune to Adderall.
    About the sleeping problem, it will get better. When I first started taking adderall I didn't sleep barely at all. Even if I was in bed all nite I still was awake. Now, I sleep and it is great.

Old 04-12-2003, 03:04 PM   #7
    LiSa42069

LiSa42069 HB User
    i have been on adderall for about a year now-starting with 20mg and im now prescribed 60 a day.

all i can say is this stuff has been my best friend and worst enemy.

first time i took it i felt the BEST i have ever felt in my life. i have been depressed just about my whole life, so this stuff was amazing. i felt this extreme happiness and motivation and i thought "so this is how normal people feel" i became obsessed with it, it was my best friend. it helped me get good grades, control my eating (which was once out of control), and to feel happy/motivated overall.

too bad all that didnt last. its all downhill now

now i am just an emotional mess. i cry all the time, i cant stand being around people, (i used to be a huge partier and very wild)im constantly arguing with my own brain it feels like.

*i hate how it makes me feel but i hate how i feel when i dont take it even more.* when i dont take it i cant even keep my eyes open i am so tired. i eat everything in sight and i feel drunk. ill have no motivation to even get out of bed, i cant do anything without it. i feel trapped, i guess i have an addiction. i dont have a way out.

all i can say to you is quit while u can.

Old 04-12-2003, 11:03 PM   #8
    phaerli

phaerli HB User
    Wink

I have been on regular Adderall for 3 years now, my 14year old daughter for 4 years. Both of us are ADD. My daughter recently quit taking hers due to headaches, irritablility, bouts of depression and it seemed it wasn't helping her concentrate any more. I gave her the choice of quitting or seeing about increasing her dosage or changing meds. She chose to quit. Along with the "normal" side effects, it also makes the two of us less able to do ANY of our artwork. Its as if, while making it possible to concentrate on things easier, it also shuts down those nueros that make us artists. I was warned of this when I first was diagnosed, but didn't notice it until I had been on the meds for almost 2 years.
    I don't believe ADD is a disability. Only a different way of seeing, learning, and living life. The medications that "correct" our "problems" is necessary at times. But I refuse to take it all the time. I give my mind and body a rest from it frequently (which Adderall is one of the few meds you can just take sporadically) and as my daughter says "Just be myself"!

Old 04-12-2003, 11:29 PM   #9
    calla
    (female)

calla HB User
    That is very interesting to read about Adderal. It seems to me that the last poster probably has the most important wisdom to impart about it. Maybe this is not a drug you can live with on a daily basis---just use it when you need it the most and take frequent 'drug holidays.' It seems almost inevitable that the "good effects" will wear off if you use it at a regular dosage on a daily basis.

Old 04-14-2003, 07:52 AM   #10
    Lindsey7

Lindsey7 HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by LiSa42069:
    i have been on adderall for about a year now-starting with 20mg and im now prescribed 60 a day.

all i can say is this stuff has been my best friend and worst enemy.

first time i took it i felt the BEST i have ever felt in my life. i have been depressed just about my whole life, so this stuff was amazing. i felt this extreme happiness and motivation and i thought "so this is how normal people feel" i became obsessed with it, it was my best friend. it helped me get good grades, control my eating (which was once out of control), and to feel happy/motivated overall.

too bad all that didnt last. its all downhill now

now i am just an emotional mess. i cry all the time, i cant stand being around people, (i used to be a huge partier and very wild)im constantly arguing with my own brain it feels like.

*i hate how it makes me feel but i hate how i feel when i dont take it even more.* when i dont take it i cant even keep my eyes open i am so tired. i eat everything in sight and i feel drunk. ill have no motivation to even get out of bed, i cant do anything without it. i feel trapped, i guess i have an addiction. i dont have a way out.

all i can say to you is quit while u can.

I am in the same boat as you are. I am 27 years old and have been on Adderall for a year also. I have dealt with depression all my life and some days are better than others of course. Put it this way---Everything and I stress EVERYTHING you said is true and the same for me. I am now on 60 mg Adderall XR also and I don't get that feeling anymore like I did when I first started to take it. Also, I really don't feel that I am able to concentrate like I was when I first started to take it. I am the same way with the food issue. Now since the adderall doesn't seem to be working like it used to I am eating a lot more and hungry (or seem to be) all day. Anyway, my doctor said that I need to try another ADD medicine like Stratera since my body has got used to the Adderall. I don't want to be on Stratera, I want to be on Adderall but I want the effects like I had at the beginning. So I guess I really don't have a choice but to get on something else so I am able to concentrate. I have to be able to concentrate since I am back in college and will be starting Respiratory School in August. I am not real sure what the hell I am going to do. Anyway, I thought I would share this with you. Keep me posted please if you find anything out or have any new information about our problem.

Old 04-14-2003, 09:13 PM   #11
    miteebabe

miteebabe HB User
    Lindsey7 and Lisa42069-

I am so happy and so releived that people finally feel the EXACT, and I mean EXACT, way I do about Adderall. I am in college too and I go through the same things as both of y'all. As of 2 days ago, I felt no effect of my adderall 30 mg XR whatsoever, and I am convinced that my body is completely immune to it. But what is the point of getting on a higher dosage? it will just continue to do the same thing as it does now: nothing at all. Lisa42069, I feel like you literally took thoughts directly out of my head when you said "i hate how it makes me feel but i hate how i feel when i dont take it even more.* when i dont take it i cant even keep my eyes open i am so tired. i eat everything in sight and i feel drunk. ill have no motivation to even get out of bed, i cant do anything without it. i feel trapped, i guess i have an addiction. i dont have a way out." I have felt the exact same way for so long. Like, I get really depressed thinking about how someday I will HAVE to get off adderall. It's like, what will I do without it? And sometimes I think that if I want it to have the same effect as it did for me when I first started taking it, then the only way to do that is to stop taking it for awhile, let my body get somewhat back to "normal," and then start taking it again. But if I can't not take it for one day, how can I survive for like a month? It is literally unthinkable. I want to know more about what you have to say because I think we really are on the same track. Good luck in the meantime.

Old 04-14-2003, 10:59 PM   #12
    help
    Inactive

help HB User
    Since you both are talking about depression along with AD/HD, the depression may be the reason adderall keeps becoming 'uneffective'. You maybe have a "combo-type" of AD/HD. If you don't know what a "combo-type" of AD/HD is lookup on the web "brainplace".

Try combining adderall XR with wellbutrin SR. By doing this you 'may' be able to lower the dose of adderall XR you're taking due to the wellbutrin. If wellbutrin was previously 'tried' and unsuccessful, try the combo of Effexor XR and adderall XR. If still unsucessful 'look' into the "tricylic" antidepressants. Also try adding amino acid supplements and mega doses of fish oil.

Old 06-07-2003, 12:57 AM   #13
    vbcypher

vbcypher HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by help:
    Since you both are talking about depression along with AD/HD, the depression may be the reason adderall keeps becoming 'uneffective'. You maybe have a "combo-type" of AD/HD. If you don't know what a "combo-type" of AD/HD is lookup on the web "brainplace".
    It is not uncommon to find someone with ADHD to also have cyclothymia or full blown bi-polar issues as well.

I used to take Adderall or Concerta (I bounced between them for about two years) as well as Risperdall. 1mg of that goes a long way.

<shrug>

Old 06-07-2003, 08:41 PM   #14
    monkey84

monkey84 HB User
    Cool

Hey ya'll! Im so glad I found other people who are in college and have AD/HD! I can related to the complete personality change. Second semester I stopped taking adderall, and went on stattera. well that just magnified all my syntoms, so of course then I got depressed and I was a mess. I just started on adderall XR, and i like how im able to concentrate, but im extremely irritable. Which I hate getting sooo upset or angry at stuff soo stupid! The person who said that if feels like a blur, I know what you are talking about! I dont feel like myself anymore, and God knows how much I hate feeling like this, but without taking some type of medicine, I cant function correctly. I do have a friend who is on wellburtin for her ADHD, and I've thought about talking to my doctor about taking it. I never thought about a combo type. Anyone have any advice as to what we can do? I went to counseling this past year to help deal with past issues, and i've learned some good ways to look at life postive, but because im getting depressed, i cant! I dont know anymore! I guess I just feel completely lost and not myself!

Old 06-10-2003, 04:04 PM   #15
    Nalle1

Nalle1 HB User
    I'm 22 female who was a pysch major in college w/ ADHD. I know what all of you are talking about and have even studied it. The adderol XR was something I tried also for a while (I have been on adderoll for a few years) and had horrible results. I found that it wore off after only 4 hours (adderoll should last for 12) and I was extremely angry all of the time. My Dr and pharmisist have found several people's reactionthe same as mine. I was diagnosed w/ bi-polar disorder many years ago and was put on depicote and paxil, they didn't work. Then they thought that I had a substance abuse problem, I was 16 at the time and partied occasionally on the weekends but not to the extent of someone w/ an addiction problem, they realized when I stopped going out and partying in a matter of a day that it too was an incorrect diagnosis. Then finally someone caught on to the fact that I had ADHD. The symptons of all of these are very similar and although many people take meds for depression along with their ADHD meds most of the time they counteract each other and neither end up working full force. I had a problem with the time release pills when I was first put on it also, not to mention that I saw a lot of you are taking up to 60mgs a day and the max subscribed for ADHD is 40mgs. Only narcoleptics are diagnosed 60mgs a day. It sounds to me like your body is being pushed to become use to the high dose you are taking. It is counter acting b/c it can't handle such a high dose, basicly it is fighting it. I use to take 60mgs a day and found the same results as you are. I corrected the problem by starting my day at 20mgs and then every 3-4 hours I take about 10mgs until I know it is to late to take anymore. I don't experience any of the side effects anymore. I hope this info helps a little. Iknow that you have to be very careful on what you do and do not do w/ this drug, it is on eof the most controlled meds for a reason. Make sure you stay up to date on everything yourself and don't rely on your Dr, a lot of times they are the last to find out b/c there is so much else for them to keep up w/. The side effects are avoidable, it just takes time to find out how your body works with it. One last thing, make sure you take breaks from the meds, about every 3 or 4 months I will go off of it for a few weeks, It allows my body to rest and restore and keeps it from becoming immune the dose.

Closed Thread