It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Nausea/Gerd

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-08-2011, 09:36 PM   #1
    anniehall
    (female)

anniehall HB User
    Nausea/Gerd

I went off the PPI I was on in Aug and I found my journey has been quite similar to yours. My main side effect and a very annoying one at that, after coming off the PPI was Nausea, something I hadn't experienced before. I was determined to stay off PPI's however so hung in with it, using AC vinegar with my main meal, ginger tea and Gaviscon at bedtime, as well as sleeping with two pillows and elevating the bed. Oh, and drinking lots of water of course and avoiding my trigger foods. I laughed at your posts about the scones because I love those too, and occasionally still indulge but I agree with you that going off the wagon and getting symptoms is somewhat of an incentive to "be good." I don't do fried foods, I don't eat citrus or tomatoes, I eat lots of fresh vegetables and lean meat but I am still hanging on to my one coffee a day. I am considering easing off of that however, since I know it is not good for me. It's probably the one thing I will miss the most, lol I adore coffee...never lied tea but omg my coffee!

A few days ago I felt like I was fighting a flu or something (diarrhea, stomach pain and nausea on the first day, then swollen lymph glands and a sore throat on the second day, then GERD symptoms since then.) So here I am again, going through these pains that I thought I had gotten away from. I have been eating bland foods (toast, mashed potatoes) and being extra cautious about everything but I feel rotten that I can't fully shake whatever this is. Sometimes I get pain after eating, but I also get some pain if I don't eat. Arggh, it's so frustrating! I feel guilty complaining because after reading some of the other posters symptoms I feel I don't suffer as much, but it's still irritating and worrying, you know? Well, I think I am just rambling so I will just say that I just wanted to let you know that your thread helped me very much. Many thanks to you for the good work you put in here!

Last edited by Mod-S4; 08-13-2011 at 06:13 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2011, 08:43 AM   #2
    rosebloom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User
    Re: Getting off PPI's and Acid Rebound-What has worked for me- Four months later

AnnieHall:

Hope you feel better from your last relapse.

Watch those carbs, i.e., a lot of mash potatoes. They are bland but they stay longer in the stomach and require more acid to move through the GI track. I found carbs to be one of my main triggers. I try to keep them as the smallest portion of my meals.

I drink Decaf coffee now. I have gotten used to it. I too love coffee, the smell of coffee and everything about coffee. I have gotten used to decaf. It's amazing the things we can give up.

Try chewing on a piece of crystalized ginger after meals for nausea, and the DGL to keep your throat and GI track coated. After many,many months of trial and error, I keep returning to those two remedies, while others have been given up.

There is no shame in taking an occasional H2 blocker like Zantac every once in a while if you are going through a rough patch. I do that probably once or twice a week, but there is no dependency or rebound.

Rose

Old 02-17-2011, 12:52 AM   #3
    anniehall
    (female)

anniehall HB User
    Nausea/Gerd

Usually I read that people have acid indigestion, etc with GERD but I don't know how common nausea is. I have been in terrible shape in the last week or so. It started with nausea after eating and since I am phobic about vomiting I have been anxious to get it under control. I have had mild nausea since I discontinued taking a PPI in August 2010 but it's gotten very bad recently and I am out of my mind worrying about what is causing it and what I can do to stop it. I am at the point where I have to lie propped up on a pillow after eating until the waves of nausea go away. I have been fine while asleep, but as soon as I get up and start moving around it slowly starts to build. I have been eating less and less because of this and I get stressed as soon as the feelings start to rise. I have panic disorder, so I know it's not helping to get myself worked up over this. The fear of vomiting is not making my stress better either. It's a catch 22 right now and I am desperate. I've been to emerg and my own Dr about this and they say it's GERD coupled with the Panic Disorder. I am just curious to know if any of you out there get nauseated with GERD and what you have done to deal with it. Thanks for listening.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:44 PM   #4
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
    Re: Nausea/Gerd

Yes, I do get nausea. Luckily, I can USUALLY control it by avoiding triggers. I also get relief from taking Reglan, although that has side effects that make it ill-suited to long term use.

My triggers are: Asthma medicines, yoga type exercises, and antihistamines. (definite catch-22 in pollen season there!)

I imagine your not eating is making it worse. Surely there are foods that go down particularly easy for you, noodle soup or something?

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
    anniehall (02-18-2011)
    Old 02-17-2011, 05:52 PM   #5
    anniehall
    (female)

anniehall HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
    Yes, I do get nausea. Luckily, I can USUALLY control it by avoiding triggers. I also get relief from taking Reglan, although that has side effects that make it ill-suited to long term use.

My triggers are: Asthma medicines, yoga type exercises, and antihistamines. (definite catch-22 in pollen season there!)

I imagine your not eating is making it worse. Surely there are foods that go down particularly easy for you, noodle soup or something?
    Thanks for your answer. I am going to try eating at more regular intervals, I'm hoping that will help. I also think I am going to have to stop drinking coffee all together. I was only drinking one daily but I'm thinking since this latest bout of GERD has been bad, the acid/caffeine isn't helping.

The Following User Says Thank You to anniehall For This Useful Post:
    gerdiexxx (02-19-2011)
    Old 02-17-2011, 06:11 PM   #6
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Oh, yes, I haven't been able to have coffee in years. (Of course, I was just now eating chocolate mints and immediately regretting them, so there's always room for a little fun if you are willing to pay the price!)

Old 02-17-2011, 06:38 PM   #7
    anniehall
    (female)

anniehall HB User

Quote:
    Oh, yes, I haven't been able to have coffee in years. (Of course, I was just now eating chocolate mints and immediately regretting them, so there's always room for a little fun if you are willing to pay the price!)
    With me, nausea never bothered me prior to my discontinuing the PPI. I am taking my Dr's advice and began taking it again until this latest bout subsides, simply because nausea is something I can't stand and I get myself all worked up thinking I might vomit. I am so disappointed in myself that I couldn't stay off the PPI but I am looking into the future when I can again use just alternative methods to deal with my GERD.

Coffee was my last pleasure, but if getting rid of the nausea means no coffee then it's no coffee for me. I haven't had one today, so now I begin the no coffee route...

Last edited by anniehall; 02-17-2011 at 06:41 PM.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:55 AM   #8
    gerdiexxx
    (female)

gerdiexxx HB User

I am in my third week of acid reflux. I have just had an endoscopy to see what's going on. I suspect Hpylori bacterial infection. In the meantime the worst part of this is the nausea. I wake up in the middle of the night feeling like I have to go to the bathroom. I have stomach pains and nausea. On night the nausea went on from 1:30 A.M. until the morning. I did not vomit but the nausea continued. I found myself walking up and down the front walkway at 2:00 in the morning in desperation. I ended up in the ER and they gave me some potent nausea medication. But I would not like to take this daily. I have a prescription from my Gastroenterologist for ondansetron 4 mg. I haven't had to use it yet, because the last episode lasted about 10 minutes. But each day I fear going to bed at night and wonder if the bland diet I am on is even working. So I know and understand your suffering. When I discuss it with other people who have not experienced this they look at me like I need to go to mental health. I don't wish ill will towards them, but just 10 minutes of what I am going through.

The following user gives a hug of support to gerdiexxx:
    anniehall (02-20-2011)
    Old 02-19-2011, 11:07 AM   #9
    gerdiexxx
    (female)

gerdiexxx HB User

When you said that yoga exercises were a trigger for you. I have just started yoga as a means to calm myself. Is it not a good idea?:

Old 02-19-2011, 12:33 PM   #10
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Certain yoga poses involve bending over for long periods of time, such as downward dog or shoulder bridge. I now avoid those poses, because they cause me nausea.

In general, yoga is good. And for the first several years I had reflux, I was able to do all yoga without symptoms.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
    gerdiexxx (02-20-2011)
    Old 02-19-2011, 07:02 PM   #11
    anniehall
    (female)

anniehall HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gerdiexxx View Post
    I am in my third week of acid reflux. I have just had an endoscopy to see what's going on. I suspect Hpylori bacterial infection. In the meantime the worst part of this is the nausea. I wake up in the middle of the night feeling like I have to go to the bathroom. I have stomach pains and nausea. On night the nausea went on from 1:30 A.M. until the morning. I did not vomit but the nausea continued. I found myself walking up and down the front walkway at 2:00 in the morning in desperation. I ended up in the ER and they gave me some potent nausea medication. But I would not like to take this daily. I have a prescription from my Gastroenterologist for ondansetron 4 mg. I haven't had to use it yet, because the last episode lasted about 10 minutes. But each day I fear going to bed at night and wonder if the bland diet I am on is even working. So I know and understand your suffering. When I discuss it with other people who have not experienced this they look at me like I need to go to mental health. I don't wish ill will towards them, but just 10 minutes of what I am going through.
    I can empathize with you so much. It's hard to describe to others when nausea is a constant in your life. It may come and go in waves, or subside when I am laying propped up with pillows but the mere fact that it never goes away is what is troubling. I'm sure worrying about it doesn't help our acid reflux, either. Since I began the PPI again (one a day ~ 20 mg of Rabeprazole) it has helped. My biggest fear is that I will have to keep coming back to taking PPI's, I so wanted to get off of them for good. I can sleep the night without any nausea but as soon as I start to move about it comes back...it's about a 1 or 2 on a scale of 1-10 but it's still annoying and most of all brings anxiety to me because of my fear of vomiting. I've been drinking ginger tea in place of my usual coffee ~ 3rd day coffeeless but I will do whatever I have to do to get rid of this nausea.

I hope you feel better soon! All the best to you.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:04 PM   #12
    anniehall
    (female)

anniehall HB User

Quote:
    Certain yoga poses involve bending over for long periods of time, such as downward dog or shoulder bridge. I now avoid those poses, because they cause me nausea.

In general, yoga is good. And for the first several years I had reflux, I was able to do all yoga without symptoms.
    I figured that is what you meant when you said yoga sometimes triggers your reflux. I want to begin yoga for relaxation simply because I have panic issues and anxiety and I think it would help. I will try to get a dvd suited to beginners and just do the exercises that don't require bending.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:21 PM   #13
    anniehall
    (female)

anniehall HB User
    Re: Getting off PPI's and Acid Rebound-What has worked for me- Four months later

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rosebloom View Post
    AnnieHall:

Hope you feel better from your last relapse.

Watch those carbs, i.e., a lot of mash potatoes. They are bland but they stay longer in the stomach and require more acid to move through the GI track. I found carbs to be one of my main triggers. I try to keep them as the smallest portion of my meals.

I drink Decaf coffee now. I have gotten used to it. I too love coffee, the smell of coffee and everything about coffee. I have gotten used to decaf. It's amazing the things we can give up.

Try chewing on a piece of crystalized ginger after meals for nausea, and the DGL to keep your throat and GI track coated. After many,many months of trial and error, I keep returning to those two remedies, while others have been given up.

There is no shame in taking an occasional H2 blocker like Zantac every once in a while if you are going through a rough patch. I do that probably once or twice a week, but there is no dependency or rebound.

Rose
    Hi Rose

I missed this post, sorry I did not reply.

My latest issue is with nausea, I haven't had any heartburn or other pain oddly enough. I am extremely disappointed to report I am back on a PPI (Rabeprazole 20 mg once a day) after being off of it since Aug/10. I couldn't tolerate the nausea and was desperate, so agreed to go on it again to see if it would help the nausea and it seems to be helping. I told my Dr I would only use it for a short term then come back off of it when I begin to feel better, but I still feel somewhat of a failure that I couldn't stick with staying off of it. I stopped coffee 3 days ago (what a heartbreak that is, but oh well there are worse things that could happen to someone) and I am eating smaller more frequent meals which seems to help.
    I drink ginger tea daily. I bought DGL but haven't tried it yet because I have been afraid of trying anything new while this latest incident with nausea has been going on.

I will keep in mind all of your advice, and I thank you for it. it really helps to know someone has been there and is willing to share what has worked for them. I hope you are feeling better now!

Closed Thread