It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Newbie with Iron Deficiency Lab Values today, what now?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-22-2011, 09:10 AM   #16
    Calamy
    (female)

Calamy HB User
    Re: Newbie with Iron Deficiency Lab Values today, what now?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AnnHilary View Post
    Were you able to find the liquid floradix at a whole foods co-op or did you have to order it online? I did pick up a supplement yesterday at our local co-op: Iron Complex with 27 mg Iron, Vit C 50mg, Folate 200mg, with herbs Dong Quai & Red Raspberry. I took one on an empty stomach yesterday with heartburn or nausea. What scares me is that I can't take a normal multivitamin without taking colace! How many am I going to have to take to aide with a high dose iron?! I am happy at least to have found out what was wrong--I had 2 significant dizzy spells last week. I had gone to the dermatologist to see about hair loss and she had ordered the Iron levels, as apparently I had issues with this before according to my chart. She felt that my hair loss is directly related to the ferritin level being low. When I looked at http://www.anemia.org they said there is no evidence that hair loss is related to anemia. They only listed a few symptoms of anemia, I think I have had several.
    My sister in law is a nurse and she even had such bad anemia her hair was falling out. I have had bouts of my hair falling out over the years too, and never realized it was probably anemia. I also would get dizzy, vertigo, heart palps (constant rates of 100-110 a min), out of breath, exhausted, muscles weak and burning, confusion, almost blacking out when I would stand up, aches and pains and sleepiness. I couldn't walk anywhere without needing to sit after about ten steps.

It went away and my iron was like, borderline but not anemia for many moons. Now I'm at 5 for ferritin and I'm starting to get the muscle burning and sleepiness and confusion and all again. Just typing makes my arms ache.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2011, 10:22 AM   #17
    AnnHilary
    (female)

AnnHilary HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Calamy View Post
    My sister in law is a nurse and she even had such bad anemia her hair was falling out. I have had bouts of my hair falling out over the years too, and never realized it was probably anemia. I also would get dizzy, vertigo, heart palps (constant rates of 100-110 a min), out of breath, exhausted, muscles weak and burning, confusion, almost blacking out when I would stand up, aches and pains and sleepiness. I couldn't walk anywhere without needing to sit after about ten steps.

It went away and my iron was like, borderline but not anemia for many moons. Now I'm at 5 for ferritin and I'm starting to get the muscle burning and sleepiness and confusion and all again. Just typing makes my arms ache.
    Interesting this post resurfaced!! I am the OP, and thought I would follow up a bit. I continue to take the mentioned Iron Supplement, maybe 4 times a week and have attempted to try several different oral contraceptives without much luck, but at least it has bought me a few months of lesser bleeding. I have not had my levels drawn again, but between the Pills and added iron, I feel wonderful. My hair loss has completely stopped, heart rate is in the 90s, no further shortness of breath. I can't believe how sick I was last summer and fall--I never want to go through that again. I went off the protonix and just use Maalox occaisonally now. I definately feel that my hairloss and throat issues were related, and I have read where pernicious & other anemias can "strawberry tongue" and I definately think I had something like that going on. I think I am still a bit on the edge, but hopefully will be doing something permanent about the bleeding so I won't have to go down that awful path again. Also in my research, it is mentioned that numbness & tingling can also be a clinical manifestation of anemia, and I had that (usually would wake up with a numb arm) and this has also resolved.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:10 AM   #18
    Calamy
    (female)

Calamy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AnnHilary View Post
    Interesting this post resurfaced!! I am the OP, and thought I would follow up a bit. I continue to take the mentioned Iron Supplement, maybe 4 times a week and have attempted to try several different oral contraceptives without much luck, but at least it has bought me a few months of lesser bleeding. I have not had my levels drawn again, but between the Pills and added iron, I feel wonderful. My hair loss has completely stopped, heart rate is in the 90s, no further shortness of breath. I can't believe how sick I was last summer and fall--I never want to go through that again. I went off the protonix and just use Maalox occaisonally now. I definately feel that my hairloss and throat issues were related, and I have read where pernicious & other anemias can "strawberry tongue" and I definately think I had something like that going on. I think I am still a bit on the edge, but hopefully will be doing something permanent about the bleeding so I won't have to go down that awful path again. Also in my research, it is mentioned that numbness & tingling can also be a clinical manifestation of anemia, and I had that (usually would wake up with a numb arm) and this has also resolved.
    AnnHilary, it is so good to hear you're feeling better!

What the heck is strawberry tongue? (My tongue was freaking killing me for about a week or two this past month and was so sore and I had trouble eating. It seems to be getting better now though while other symptoms are getting worse.)

Numbness and tingling? I actually went to a clinic for this and the doc said it was probably carpal tunnel. I would wake up with my hand or hands numb and my fingertips and toes would be numbish.

It's like you have to be Sherlock Holmes with this anemia stuff.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:13 AM   #19
    payton123
    (female)

payton123 HB User

I also had severe hair loss, lashes falling out, dizziness, heart palps, lack of energy, etc, since last March (2010). I was finally diagnosed with iron deficient anemia in June/July. My Ferritin level was a 5. It has been a long, long year. I am no longer clinically anemic but my Ferritin level, at best, was 40. I have since had an Endometrial Ablation, approx a month ago. My blood work is checked every other month by a hematologist. My periods were not super heavy but leaning more towards the heavy side. Its a process of elimination. I tested negative for Celiac Disease and blood in the stool. Now with my periods completely stopped, were hoping my Ferritin will come up. I still experience heavy hair loss and some eyelash loss daily (up to 31 lashes in one day, cant believe I even have any left). The Endometrial Ablation is the best thing I couldve done, no period what-so-ever, and this is just the first month. It was a breeze and glad I decided to do it. Im due for a blood draw so well see if the Ferritin starts climbing, more rapidly. Not expecting much this first blood draw since the Ablation was only a month ago but hopefully the next one will show more significant improvement. If not, the doctors are planning on taking a more aggressive look at me internally.

Good luck to all! Ive been there and know how upsetting and life altering anemia can be I had no clue.

Hugs, Payton

Old 02-23-2011, 09:50 AM   #20
    payton123
    (female)

payton123 HB User

Forgot to addIm still taking 6 amino-iron pills a day, which is 108 mgs of elemental iron per day. This is not the same as taking 6 iron (ferrous) sulfate tablets. Each type of iron contains a different binder (or chemical compound), such as, sulfate, amino acids, or gluconate. The amount of elemental iron is key, along with finding a good binder so that your body will absorb the maxium iron (which is very little per tablet), with the least side effects.

The Following User Says Thank You to payton123 For This Useful Post:
    Bean0625 (09-15-2012)
    Old 02-23-2011, 02:42 PM   #21
    barlowgirl
    (female)

barlowgirl HB User

You need to see a Hematologist. You may have an absorption issue. Also may discuss mensus cycle & refer you to have a colonoscopy. It is possible that you are loosing large amounts of blood.

Closed Thread