It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Hemoglobin keeps dropping

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-03-2011, 07:07 AM   #31
    ladybug27205
    (female)

ladybug27205 HB User
    Re: Hemoglobin keeps dropping

Quote:
    Originally Posted by joawhite View Post
    Ladybug -- please keep us posted, fluid near the brain is quite a scary diagnosis. Yikes !

5.4 HGL, I think is very low -- I was very surprised you were not in the hospital with that level !!

I had my attack when I was at 6.5 (I feel to floor and couldn't get up, w/my heart pumping like mad). I called the ambulance to pick me up and in the ER they wanted me to get a blood transfusion as soon as possible. When HGL gets too low you are at risk for Organ failure and possibly a stroke b/c your blood is not pumping through your body properly (my sis-in-law is a nurse practitioner and that is what she said, but I am in no way a Dr !). I know I kept having fainting/dizzy spells when I was in the 7-8 range.

I am sorry you are going through this -- its so frustrating and scary ! Luckily my numbers seem to be on the upswing, so I will hope that this continues not just for me, but that the same happens for yourself and others on this board !!
    I am very scared, to say the least! I just want some answers and I hope Im on the road to finding the problem...

I was admitted to the hospital just a few hours after my pre-op blood work in December when they discovered it was 5.5; they gave me 4 units of blood right away..when I was released it was FINALLY at an 8 but since then it slowly dropped to 5.4 as of 2/18 - dr sent me to er for a blood transfusion and they admitted me again, I just got out last week. I've had 7 units of blood, 2 units of iron since December. I was having a really hard time breathing in december but couldnt figure out why til my blood work came back! I was out of breath just standing or sitting still!

I go to the doctor today for lab work and praying for high numbers or at least the same as they were when I was released.

I hope your numbers keep increasing!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2011, 04:37 PM   #32
    ladybug27205
    (female)

ladybug27205 HB User

Finally some good news!

Since being released from the hospital my hemoglobin has jumped up to 9.7!! Since being diagnosed, Ive never seen it this high!

The following user gives a hug of support to ladybug27205:
    japlopper (03-04-2011)
    Old 03-04-2011, 06:10 AM   #33
    joawhite
    (female)

joawhite HB User

Yippee ! Here's hoping it continues to rise !

Old 03-04-2011, 04:27 PM   #34
    heartofwisdom
    (female)

heartofwisdom HB User

I don't have good news for you.

They have been trying to find where I am bleeding for 5 years. They stopped my periods which helped a lpt, they stopped blood thinners which helped a lot but I still go downhill between iron infusions and blood transfusions.

Uppper and lower colon scopes, swallowed a camera. No one knows. Worse thing is since they don't know you are simple a bother and they don't want to deal with you. I'm usually dismissed to go looking for a new doctor.

One day I'll be on Mystery Diagnoses.

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: heartofwisdom
    japlopper (03-05-2011),joawhite (03-05-2011),ladybug27205 (03-17-2011)
    Old 03-04-2011, 10:02 PM   #35
    japlopper
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

japlopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB User

Heartofwisdom,
    I've fired 4 hematologists to get to my current hema. Keep on trying until you find one who will do the correct things. I think the drs you've seen are crazy.

My ITP and hemolytic anemia are minor problems to most hematologists, so I always got the brushoff. So I fired them and kept going. As discouraged as you are, please don't give up.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:52 AM   #36
    joawhite
    (female)

joawhite HB User

Sorry heartofwisdom for your current situation. I hope they figure it out soon.

I can see what you mean about docs, it seems like with some you just have to follow the playbook or they get frustrated. (Believe me I appreciate my docs and the hard work they signed up for, but they aren't perfect) That is why you probably need to insist on being sent to the "research doctors" that was the advice I got if nothing could be found.

Best wishes and lots of hugs.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:44 PM   #37
    ladybug27205
    (female)

ladybug27205 HB User

I just wanted to update since going to my hematologist...

Dr found nothing to be concerned with and told me to keep taking my iron 3 times a day at 325mg each. I am continuing this and I feel pretty good right now!

If you've followed my recent history, I had a lumbar puncture done for psuedotumor cerebri. I developed a spinal headache and ended up getting a blood patch done two days later. I went to the ER one night because my headache was so terrible and I couldnt get in contact with any of my doctors. A CBC they can two days ago showed my hemoglobin at 10! It was a 9.7 not that long ago. I am so thrilled!!

I hope everyone elses numbers continue to rise as well!

Closed Thread