It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Syndol addiction of 10 years :(

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-26-2011, 02:15 PM   #1
    HelpingOH
    (female)

HelpingOH HB User
    Syndol addiction of 10 years :(

My husband is in need of help, i need the help too. i do not know what else to do really so i guess this is my last shot.. here is our story..
    My husband when aged 14 started suffering from migraines which run in his family..his mum advised him to take syndol (which she takes occasionally for headaches/period pain) so aged 14 he took them, kept on taking them, his mum carried on buying them when they ran out in the medical cupboard..about A YEAR later he was taken to the doctors, by this time he was on 4 a day, he was sent for all types of tests, a ct scan, accupunture, nothing worked so his doctor and mum kind of gave up. offered him epilepsy tablets - i think these were beta blockers but he says these didnt work.. he was told to take co-codamol but these made his stomach hurt, he so he continued taking syndol.. 6 years later he has a wife and two children.. so basically thats the short/long story of the past..
    since moving into our own house i have wanted him to get off the syndol as he is now taking around 6-8 a day. i have moved him to a different surgery and the doctor was very helpful in my eyes, well better than the last, she first tried to give him codine phosphate with anti-sickness but he says these did not get rid of his headache, she tried nurofen type ibrofrofen with codine and he says they did not work.. (he works full time and he says he has to get rid of the headache before it turns into a migraine or else he will have to come home from work and he doesnt get sick pay) the doctor has told him to contact and attend a local drug rehabilitation centre where he would get one to one help or support groups but he doesnt like the sound of going there and puts it off.. i want him to get off it as syndol now costs 5.40 at a local pharmacy, (and boots have told me they are soon going to have to ban me from buying it, even tho i know the ladies in there, they know its for my hubby - i have to buy it for him as he works so it will make my life harder by having to travel further to get a new box every few days)..so he doesnt want the migraines so doesnt see a problem with it, i know that this addiction must have affected his organs (he is actually very underweight and i cook homemade dinners everyday, make big pack ups for him and im always making cakes and brownies and biscuits and things at home..) i know you cant make anyone change unless they want to themselves but i am hoping someone here can help me..or him..or give any advice on what is the best way to get off syndol, is it possible without going to a rehab centre? is there anyone else who is watching their partner go through the same thing?
    any help/advice will be very much appreciated..
    =)

Last edited by HelpingOH; 03-26-2011 at 02:30 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2011, 07:02 AM   #2
    Trying2B
    (male)

Trying2B HB UserTrying2B HB User
    Re: Syndol addiction of 10 years :(

Common side effects of Syndol include drowsiness, dizziness, constipation, nausea, vomiting, sweating, flushed skin, blurred vision, dry mouth, headaches and loss of appetite.

Risks
    Some patients experience palpitations, drops in blood pressure and decreases in heart rate. Infrequently, use of Syndol results in a serious condition known as respiratory depression which interferes with your brain's control of breathing, causing shortness of breath.

Warnings
    If you take too much Syndol or use the drug too frequently, you may cause irreversible damage to your liver or kidneys. Liver effects from Syndol are most common in people who regularly abuse alcohol.

Considerations
    Since it has the potential to cause dizziness and drowsiness, you should not operate a motor vehicle or heavy machinery until you know how Syndol will affect you. It is possible to develop a physical dependence upon Syndol in some cases.

I would get some tests done if he is taking that much, good luck !!

Closed Thread