It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Massive pain 1 year after fusion L5 S1

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-07-2011, 11:03 AM   #1
    Rickyjim40
    (male)

Rickyjim40 HB User
    Unhappy Massive pain 1 year after fusion L5 S1

Can anyone suggest why im in so much pain !!
    I had Spinal Fusion with hardware cage at L5 S1 exactly 1 year today but after the first 3 months of recovery i started to get massive muscle spasms after sitting in an ordinary dining chair or sitting in a car seat the pain goes on and on and on until i get in my reclining chair or i lay down on the bed. The pain shoots round into my hip but the pain starts in the left side of the fusion at the point of the scar. Ive tried most medications but these have no effect at all i also had anti inflamatory injection in the trigger point with no effect whatsoever. Im at my best in the morning when i get up and i feel just about ok until i start to do anything like a slight bend or sitting upright then the pain starts so i have to then go to my reclining chair and stay put for an hour or so until the pain eases. Mri scans show nothing wrong.
    It has taken over my life and now im afraid to go out of the house because i cant drive anymore or walk more than 100 yards without my back seizing up.
    Im having Botox injections soon to try and numb the nerve signals im praying this works but nothing has yet. Im at my wits end with this nightmare.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2011, 12:58 PM   #2
    maltluver
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

maltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB Usermaltluver HB User
    Re: Massive pain 1 year after fusion L5 S1

Is your spine surgeon the one who ordered the MRI? If not, I believe I would have him take a look at the films as he might see something that was missed.

It sounds like you might be having some scar tissue issues. Have you been doing any walking to keep it stretched and help keep it from wrapping around a nerve? It's something to think about....you m ight ask the dr. if that would help.

I'm really sorry that you're having this problem. It can be really scary and I hope you find answers soon. Please let us know.

Carol
    Last surgery Oct, 2010, 3 levels

Old 04-07-2011, 12:59 PM   #3
    fusepro
    (male)

fusepro HB Userfusepro HB Userfusepro HB User

I am sorry you are dealing with so much pain. You said the MRI results did not show anything but has your Surgeon said anything about your fusion? Does he/she see full bone growth? The pain you are feeling is like what I have and continue to experience. Nerves. The nerves heal very slowly but generally at one year post op a Dr will make a determination as mine did that the nerves have completed thier healing process and what remains can be permanent. Are you still seeing your surgeon on a regular schedule,at least every 6 weeks? Thats very important. My guess is a failed fusion or nerve impingement still exists and your surgeon is the one to be addressing this. You really need to be proactive with your surgeon to get to the bottom of this pain...the longer it continues the more chances of permanent nerve damage.
    Wish you luck and get a call in to the DR!

Rich

Old 04-07-2011, 10:43 PM   #4
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Has your surgeon checked to see if your hardware is causing the problem? Sometimes a screw can begin to back out, or loosen up and the instability causes a great deal of pain. A screw can be misplaced and can start to rub up against a nerve, etc.

Also I have heard of cases where the cage is not sized correctly for the patient and it ends up causing problems that would be pain generators. The fact that the pain starts at the incision makes me wonder if it isn't connected somehow to the actual site of the fusion -- hardware, cage, scar tissue attaching to the nerves at this level....

Closed Thread