It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• What are symptoms of Pernicious Anemia?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-17-2011, 02:23 AM   #1
    Happygolucky612
    (female)

Happygolucky612 HB User
    What are symptoms of Pernicious Anemia?

I've been looking through the Boards have not found anything that shows the symptoms of someone who has pernicious anemia?

I do know that I have to burp alot to expel a lot of air from my stomach I guess that accummulates from breathing, swallowing and it can't escape. I get a bloated feeling and then I start to reflux with bial. I get palpitation - where my heart starts to shake and I start to automatically cough from it. When it happens, I can't breath air in or out of my lungs. I get headaches, weakness in my muscles, blurred vision (on + off), alot of noise in my stomach + intestinal tracts, at times painful gas bowel movements.

Also, besides the fatigue, I experience headaches, pain to the very bone of my body which I take caltrate chewables (what happens when your body can't absorb those supplements though?) for extra calcium for my bones. I take a flinstones chewable vitamin (if it's good for kids, it's good for me!), and Omega 3 vitamin.

Oh and yes, you are at risk for Stomach Cancer....that is True! I was told you have to get endoscopy every 3 years so the doc can make sure you don't have it.

The doctor told me.....Eat those things that you don't get sick from! I'm following the doctors orders....only I'm only human as I go astray eating those things that other people have that I can't have!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2011, 06:02 AM   #2
    chrissietag
    (female)

chrissietag HB User
    Re: What are symptoms of Pernicious Anemia?

Have you investigated the possibility that you have an intolerance to gluten? Even if you tested negative for celiac disease, it is still possible that a gluten intolerance could cause the symptoms you describe, plus make it difficult for you to absorb nutrients through an inflamed digestive tract. If you search this site, there is information here about this problem, such as symptoms, tests for, and treatment of, and it might be worth discussing with your doctor. Good luck!

Old 04-17-2011, 04:53 PM   #3
    jonnstar
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

If you have pernicious anemia, your stomach almost certainly doesnt produce enough acid to adsorb caltrate. Citrical doesnt need acid to be adsorbed, so it would be a better chicie for you.

Taking a daily B12 supplement (2000mcg of sublingual B12) would force extra B12 into your body even if you lack intrinsic factor.

Taking your multivitamin with a tablet of betaine Hydrochloride would provide some acid to help your bodya dsorb the minerals it contains, might be worth looking at.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 04-18-2011, 08:02 PM   #4
    Happygolucky612
    (female)

Happygolucky612 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnstar View Post
    If you have pernicious anemia, your stomach almost certainly doesnt produce enough acid to adsorb caltrate. Citrical doesnt need acid to be adsorbed, so it would be a better chicie for you.

Taking a daily B12 supplement (2000mcg of sublingual B12) would force extra B12 into your body even if you lack intrinsic factor.

Taking your multivitamin with a tablet of betaine Hydrochloride would provide some acid to help your bodya dsorb the minerals it contains, might be worth looking at.
    Hi John,

I know a lot about Perniciious Anemia + had a special test done that confirmed that I had it by my gastro. She said that I have to treat my stomach as it I were an infant as it is working hard to digest my food. She also said that I could take B12 supplement until I'm blue in the face + my body wouldn't absorb the extra supplements! I take the chewable Caltrate which is easily digested versus a pill form of calcium that my stomach might never be able to digest.

Also, I'm not aloud to take supplements or pills that contain acids as I had a kidney stone 10 years ago that consisted of uric acid. This stone enveloped my whole kidney! I'm not allowed to have an citrus like oranges, lemons, pickles, limes, vinegar, etc. Once in a blue moon, I get such gas pains in my stomach + then have to run to the toilet that several times, I thought I was going to pass out sitting on the bowl. My doctor advised me to take baby "mylicon drops" for the gas. That is Pernicious Anemia!

Also, your stomach is working so hard to digest the food that you eat that your stomach creates a foamy substance that backs up into the esophagus. Try spitting up this foam + put it in a plastic cup and leave it for several days, and you'll find that those foamy bubbles never dissipate or break up. I do find relief when I take a pepcid as it stops me from refluxing and breaks up those nasty bubbles in my stomach.

It's all about what you eat and what you feel doesn't make you sick after you have eaten it! I almost died in 2006 if it weren't for this doctor that I now see.

I also hope you do realize that people with Pernicious Anemia have bad bacteria living in their stomachs and their guts because they don't have any acid in their stomachs that contain the good bacteria which kill off the bad bacteria.

Thanks for your help anyway! Hugs!

Old 04-18-2011, 08:11 PM   #5
    Happygolucky612
    (female)

Happygolucky612 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chrissietag View Post
    Have you investigated the possibility that you have an intolerance to gluten? Even if you tested negative for celiac disease, it is still possible that a gluten intolerance could cause the symptoms you describe, plus make it difficult for you to absorb nutrients through an inflamed digestive tract. If you search this site, there is information here about this problem, such as symptoms, tests for, and treatment of, and it might be worth discussing with your doctor. Good luck!
    Hi Crissy,

I definitely know I have pernicious anemia as my gastro did a special test that confirmed it. I would feel like my brain was in a comma and my arms would start to shake. I went to a neuro doc and she told me that I was wasn't getting oxygen to my brain as I was not absorbing B12 through my foods and new blood cells were not being created which carry oxygen to the brain. The website for Perniciious Anemia explain all this. I do know I have another autoimmune disease as I was told by another gastro doctor.....but noone ever tested me for because I was told there are too many to test for. I was tested for some....sparingly, like rheumatoid arthritis, myasthenia gravis.....!

It's really not easy living with this digestion problem as you feel bloated alot and not able to eat! If you don't have pernicious anemia....you wouldn't have any idea what someone experiences.

Thanks for your help, though, I really appreciate your response!

Old 04-19-2011, 07:18 AM   #6
    alexsom
    (male)

alexsom HB User

The most common symptom of having pernicious anemia is fatigue (tiredness). Fatigue occurs due to the body doesn’t have enough red blood cells to carry oxygen to its various parts. Low red blood cell count can also cause headaches, shortness of breath, dizziness, coldness in your hands and feet, chest pain and even pale or yellowish skin. You may fortify your diet with good quality supplements such as Jobelyn blood builder.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:56 PM   #7
    Happygolucky612
    (female)

Happygolucky612 HB User
    Wink Re: What are symptoms of Pernicious Anemia?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnstar View Post

John,

Thank you for mentioning the absorbtion of the Caltrate as I started to think about what you had written to me and it prompted me to see the pharmacist at Pathmark which told me that Caltrate is not a good source of calcium to take and Citrical can be more readily absorbed with people who have pernicious anemia. I am forever indebted to your good faith of helping me. Thank you so much.

Last edited by Happygolucky612; 04-23-2011 at 02:58 PM.

Closed Thread