It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Strattera- Is it working for anyone?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-03-2003, 05:43 AM   #16
    momma6
    (female)

momma6 HB User
    My 9yo son has been on the Strattera since late February I beleive. We have had some very up & down days there in the beginning. But waited it out. He was on Adderall Xr for a couple of years. I wanted to try tthe Strattera because he was so verbally aggressive and physicallly here at home and thought perhaps the stimulant increased this. Well, I dont know if that was the case..but immediately he was able to sleep at night, and fall asleep without help from another medicine. He also seems to eat better. His teacher and I started passing the "red book" which basically she scores him on a scale of 1-10. THis week he got Five 10's in a row.!!!!!!!! Wow.....Is this due to his medicine...?I beleive the non stim has helped... Aslo alot of prayers are going up. Right now I am going to keep him on the Strattera for hte time being....he has actually been invited to 2 birthday parties recently...something which just didnt happen before, eeither. Oh yeah...she rates him on if he talks back, has to sit on the bench at recess, how he gets along with the otherkids, and if the other kids come up and tell on him for this & that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2003, 02:30 PM   #17
    confz

confz HB User
    I am on day 10 on Strattera. So far I have not noticed any side effects nor any positive effects. I take a little Efexor with it and a very small amount of Ritalin (about 2.5mg every 4 hours). I plan to stop taking those the closer I get to the 4 week mark.
    No medicine has worked for me longer than 2 weeks (except in the beginning). This was my last resort. Hope it will help.

Old 05-03-2003, 04:49 PM   #18
    shrinker1

shrinker1 HB User
    Cool

My 13 year old son took one dose of Strattera at 25 mg. and pretty much slept for an entire day. We discontinued the medicine and started a week later (today) at 18 mg. His mood and tiredness seem ok, but I wonder if this dosage will do anything. do most peole stay with their stimulant for a while before only using strattera?? Do you have to wait weeks before seeing results?

Old 05-07-2003, 08:06 AM   #19
    ddsmom

ddsmom HB User
    My son has been on 60 mg. Straterra for about 4 months. I've been on 80 mg. for 3 months. We had the usual sleepiness for the first couple days and other intermittent side effects while we were getting used to it, but nothing earth shattering. It was more like a month before Straterra was fully effective, even though the brochure said it would be about 2-3 weeks, and I noticed some improvements even up to 6 weeks.

It's too bad that it takes so long to see results and that there's no way to tell at first if it will even work. It makes it difficult to know whether or not to stay with it in hopes things will get better or to cut your loss and use something else. We were both using Adderall and it wasn't working all that well, so we didn't have much to lose by trying Straterra in preference to trying another stimulant medication.

Old 05-14-2003, 12:31 AM   #20
    BadaBingGirl

I'm a 25 year old female on 80 mg. of Strattera. My doctor plans on upping me to 125(?)mg eventually.

I think that this drug is my MIRACLE that I have been waiting for. Stimulants do not work for my type of ADD (I am EXTREMELY hyper-vigilant.)I am also on 500 mg of Depakote nightly. Since starting Strattera I am much calmer and focused.

The most major negative side effect for me is when I have withdrawal symptoms from low levels in my blood stream. I have to be careful to take my Strattera at all of the scheduled times, otherwise if it gets too low, I feel EXTREMELY light-headed, dizzy, and "car sick" feeling. Since realizing what the cause was, I have to set my alarm to remind me to take my medication the same time every morning, even if I planned on sleeping in. But I haven't had problems since then.

Old 05-19-2003, 07:55 AM   #21
    overwhelmed

overwhelmed HB User
    Question

okay I've read so much on AD/HD recently my head is about to explode. My daughter is 7 years old in 1st grade and we have just since Dec. been trying to figure what medication to put her on. She definitely has vision problems which we've been told has been corrected, but of more concern has been her life long problem with controlling her impulses to the point that we worry about her safety and the safety of those around her. She also has never been able to focus on a task long enough to follow it through (AD/HD? We just don't know--this condition does run in my family)

She was on concerta for about 3 months. Although her impulse control at home wasn't greatly improved, her reading went up 5 levels and her teachers said they no longer had any behavior problems any more (which was our greateset concern). We did start to notice some developing tics and a loss of weight which made me extremely anxious, so when we heard about streterra we figured we'd try it. She's been on that for about 10 days and she has been really sleepy. I volunteer in her class and to be honest I don't see a big difference be/tw her behavior now than on the concerta. I didn't think the concerta made her zombie like--although she was a little more withdrawn around her peers. Likewise on the straterra I don't think she's zombie-like but she's is napping a lot. Should we expect this to wear off or will she just need more sleep now?

Old 05-19-2003, 09:42 AM   #22
    COURTNEYS_MOM

COURTNEYS_MOM HB User
    overwhelmed, I am going through the exact same thing.

My daughter is 7 years old. She had a psych eval in November and has been seing a therapist. A month ago she told the Dr. that she hears voices in her head talking to her all the time. They prescribed Risperdal for that. The psych eval discovered that she has adhd. She just started Strattera on Friday. She has been very sleepy and quiet. She plays a little but is just very very quiet and sleepy.

I've been reading the posts on this board and a few others and I see that some children react the same way. I just want to know if she is going to snap out of it or not!! I'm kind of scared.

Today is the first day that she's been to school since starting the meds. She's on 25mg for 7 days and then the dosage is being upped to 40. I'm wondering how this is going to affect her. If she's this sleepy now on 25 mg, what is she going to be like on 40?

Anyway her teacher called me this morning (she'd only been in school for around 1 hour). She noticed a change in my daughter immediately. She said that she very calm but she seems sleepy. Can't keep her head up and was complaining of a headache.

So they put my daughter on the phone and I asked her what was wrong and she's saying that it's the voices.

This is driving me crazy. I would have never thought that I'd be going through this. Sorry to have rambled on.

Old 05-20-2003, 06:29 AM   #23
    overwhelmed

overwhelmed HB User
    courtneys_mom,

Did the dr's address the voices issue at all? My daughter talks to heself in the 3rd person a lot and had an imaginary friend up until late last year but I assumed these were just coping skills.

I found with my daughter that she usually wakes up at her normal time pretty perky then about an hour later I give her the medication and by midday she's sluggish. At first I thought it might be the effect of her coming off the simulants but it doesn't sound like your daughter was ever on stimulants.

Old 05-20-2003, 10:48 AM   #24
    COURTNEYS_MOM

COURTNEYS_MOM HB User
    overwhelmed,

The dr. and I listened to what she said regarding the voices. My daughter (Courtney) said that the voices tell her to do things. She told us that she hears the Devil in her head. She can hear him when he's sleeping (she said that she hears a constant snoring sound then) and he tells her to do bad things. She is telling us that he tells her to hit people and call people names. He also says mean things to her about herself. I had never heard of this before.

A few months back her teacher told me that Courtney often times acts as if she's talkiing to someone who isn't there. The teacher moved Courtney so she pretty much sits by herself and yet she is still talking to "someone". She said she almost seems tormented.

Again, this was the first time that I had heard this. The dr. thought that possibly this could be why she was having such a hard time paying attention in class and following through with tasks. So he prescribed Risperdal. We waited until she was on that for a month to see how she was doing.

The nonfocusing has not stopped and the ADHD symptoms still exist. This is why he than prescribed Strattera.

This is the first medication for ADHD that she has been on. I give her the Strattera around 1/2 hour after she wakes because shortly after that she is off to school.

She just seems so tired during the day.

I spoke to the dr. today and he told me to try to give it to her before bedtime. I'm hesitant because I'm wondering if I give it to her at bedtime, will she still gain the benefits of the drug during school hours? Won't it wear off say mid-morning? The dr. said no, but I'm still hesitant.

Old 05-20-2003, 11:01 AM   #25
    pointerpals

pointerpals HB User
    My son has been on Straterra for 2 months now (diagnosed at age 5- 95% range). He is 11 yrs and weighed 64 lbs at the start dispensing 40 mg per day. The first week was good-he finally slept! Now he's 69 lbs and has increased to 54 mg due to the fact that the Strat was helping him to become much more functional, but was not addressing his hyperactivity. Dr. said they had just learned that the lower dose was responsible for that. His tics have diminished (although we are still in line to see a nuerologist who specializes in ADHD), although the snorting, spitting, are back but has been diagnosed with a sinus infection. It's either that or we're back sliding-hopefully not! It's nice to have my son back-no edginess and sharpness in his personality since he's off stimulants. Am in the process of taking him off Wellbutrin (Dr. said not a good mix)so we are hoping fot the best. Can't really tell for sure if the Starterra is totally responsible for happier child since I was also able to put him in S.E. at school to help remove anxiety). Hopefully, we can now better address his other issues-coordination disorder. (still learning about that one.) But like most of you-just glad to be off stimulants-he's happier sensing he has better control over himself.

Old 05-20-2003, 02:39 PM   #26
    overwhelmed

overwhelmed HB User
    Has anyone been on the strattera and had the sleepiness wear off. I heard that it might wear off
    but not from anyone first hand.

Also has anyone used any behavior modification techniques for impulsiveness that really works (coupled w/the medication)? My daughter knows what's right and wrong but just doesn't seem to learn from her mistakes ( even after praise for the right behavior and consequences for wrong behavior)

Old 05-20-2003, 03:36 PM   #27
    RainbowBrite18

RainbowBrite18 HB User
    Lightbulb

[QUOTE]Originally posted by COURTNEYS_MOM:
    [B]
    <<My daughter is 7 years old. She had a psych eval in November and has been seing a therapist.>>
    Did they come outright and say "Your child is suffering from schizophrenia"?.. BTW: What time is she taking the Risperdal(I am on this as well and take it at night)
    <<She just started Strattera on Friday. She has been very sleepy and quiet.>>
    This is a common side effect.I'm struggling with it too. Today was my first day on the med and I had to leave school because I couldn't stay awake.
    <<I've been reading the posts on this board and a few others and I see that some children react the same way. I just want to know if she is going to snap out of it or not!! I'm kind of scared.>>
    Well, Risperdal is classified as an anti-psychotic and I think that should cover any problems with the voices. If she is not having trouble with the voices I would not scared(not that all schizophrenic's are violent, but the voices may tell them to do dangerous things)

<<I'm wondering how this is going to affect her. If she's this sleepy now on 25 mg, what is she going to be like on 40?...>>
    The side effects of most medicines decrease the longer you take them.I would not necessarily assume that the increase will double the side effects, though it will take a while for her to adjust.

<<This is driving me crazy. I would have never thought that I'd be going through this. Sorry to have rambled on.>>
    It's understandable to be upset about this. It's a very hard process, but once your daughter reaches the right level of medicine(s) or finds an alternative it will be well worth it.I have experienced this with my depression.With anti-depressants it can take up to 6 weeks to feel any difference,and I've had to try different levels of Prozac,Wellbutrin,Paxil,Zoloft,Effexor, and Trileptol and am still searching for the right amount.I also developed involuntary twitches that will sometimes last from a second to three days. I've had problems with my ADD as well because while taking Adderrall xr(MIRACLE WORKER!) I developed heart problems (not from the adderrall itself we believe, it occurred 9 months after the start of that) and wanted to try and find a better medication. I started the Strattara today taking it in the morning. I believe my psychiatrist may have told me to take it at night so I might try that.Sorry for rambling on...

Old 05-21-2003, 10:07 AM   #28
    pointerpals

pointerpals HB User
    It has been our experience that the sleepiness does wear off. The sleepiness on Strat lasted about 2 weeks. My son is basically back to normal, but I still have to watch to make sure he gets enough sleep. He has learned now to take his shower in the mornings because he said it helps him wake up. Anything he can do on his own to help him feel like he has control over his life is a good thing.

Old 05-21-2003, 04:09 PM   #29
    suzy_Q

suzy_Q HB User
    Smile

My son was sleepy the first week on STrattera and then it wore off. When he does get tired now he gets very emotional and tends to have little fits. It doesn't happen too often, maybe five or six times since we started about two months ago. Another thing we noticed is that if he doesn't eat with Strattera he gets very ill, nauseous, dizzy and the sweats. Not sure if that's the same for all. Other than this he is responding very well, this is our first med. He seems much calmer, more focused and is beginning to build up his self esteem a little. He also pees less frequently, he used to get up two or three times a night now he doesn't get up at all (he was incontinent at night til he was 6). Hope the worst is over with side effects, got my fingers crossed. Anyone else had similar situation?

Old 05-22-2003, 05:26 AM   #30
    COURTNEYS_MOM

COURTNEYS_MOM HB User
    Okay today is day 6 for my daughter. She has been taking 25mg of strattera. She was very tired at first, pretty quiet and different. But she seems to be perking up VERY good. This morning she was really back to her old self.

I spooke with her teacher yesterday and she said she has noticed an improvement. She said that Courtney actually finished work in her classe (she has never finished anything since the begining of school).

She said that my daughter is also much more calm and has not let small things bother her. My daughter tends to be very sensitive, combative and aggressive at times.

Rainbow, The Drs. have never said anything about schizophrenia at all. She takes 1mg of Risperdal at night around an hour before bedtime and does not need to be persuaded to go to sleep. She usually falls asleep right after here head hits the pillow!

Tomorrow her dosage of strattera will be upped to 40mg. I'm a little nervous about that. But her teacher said that she will give me a call if she notices anything. Plus, we have a long weekend so I'll be able to watch her carefully!

Closed Thread