It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Message Board

• I Need some advice. pls help me

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-23-2011, 02:05 AM   #1
    DeniseA
    (female)

DeniseA HB UserDeniseA HB User
    I Need some advice. pls help me

I first off want to extend my greatest well wishes and love to all those suffering with ALS and their family and friends. Ive been suffering from some problems recently and I was wondering if i could get some advice.

About two weeks ago I became very ill. I didnt have much of an apetite and had trouble sleeping. I went to the hospital and they said it was the stomach flu. About 2 days later I woke up to tingling/virbrating sensation all over my body. I tried to go back to sleep but I kept kicking ( like i was playing soccer on my bed) i also started to have muscles twitches up and down my legs. From my thighs all the way to down to my calves. It still comes and goes. Especially during rest and when I'm sitting down. My legs are always moving but i always thought it was nothing. maybe just nerves or RLS. But recently, its been really bad. I'll wake up (from the rare occasions I get to sleep) and my legs are cold and will be moving out of control. I also feel like I dont have control of my legs. Ive noticed that the bones in my legs, feet, arms, hand and knees have been cracking more often too.I also get the twitching on my arms and hands. That also comes and goes. these symptoms are worse at night. My sleep has also been severely effected. I'll wake up out of breath or get jerked out of my sleep. Ive also had a dream where i felt like someone was choking me. I felt like my throat muscles were being compressed. When I eat i get severe back pain, shortness of breath and muscle twitching.I don't have much diffculty swallowing but the breathing part can be challenging at times. My chest gets heavy and i have to breathe in as hard as possibly can. i feel weakness in both of my hand and arms but right now its mostly my left hand that is weak. What really scares me is the body vibrations i get throughout my body, mainly around my spinal area.I sometimes get numbness and twitching lips and side of face. Ive had blood taken at least 5 times in the past 2 weeks.(they were normal) urine tests (normal) and ultrasound and 2 xrays (normal).The only thing my doctor said i was, was dehydrated and needed a good cleaning (sorry too much info) Even so ive still have these symptoms and im really scared. I'm 21. i havent lived yet. Pls give me your thoughts and advice. It would be so greatly appreciated.

My Symptoms
    Off and on leg, feet, arm and hand twitching (especially at rest)
    Always have the urge to move feet
    Vibrating feeling in entire ( alot of times around my spine)
    Feels like lost control of calves area in both legs
    Joints have been cracking more often
    Lower back pain (kidney area)
    Diffculty sleeping
    Jerked out sleep
    Wake up out of sleep, not breathing right
    Feels like throat muscles are collapsing ( on 1 occasion)
    numb/ twitching lips.
    muscle cramps in left leg (went away)
    Sometimes it takes effort to talk (chest area, ive been asked to speak up numerous times)

Last edited by DeniseA; 04-23-2011 at 02:11 AM.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: DeniseA
    braret (05-03-2011),hannacat (07-03-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2011, 04:09 PM   #2
    anxiousme
    Veteran
    (female)

anxiousme HB Useranxiousme HB Useranxiousme HB User
    Re: I Need some advice. pls help me

Relax....anxiety and worry make things MUCH worse. You're doing a good job of recording your symptoms. Continue to do this. Record how long each thing last. ALS symtoms don't come and go. Usually there is no numbness and tingling. ALS is loss of muscle function then the muscle itself. The twitching associated with ALS comes after marked muscle loss. It's visible but you can't always feel it. It doesn't stop (no come and go). Your symptoms don't sound like ALS to me. They may be neurological. I have MS and experience some of your symptoms, not all. I would follow up with your doctor. A brain/Spinal MRI with and without contrast would help dx a neurological problem. In short, continue to document what you feel. Remember....try not to let anxiety take over. Anxiety can cause many symptoms....including breathing problems, twitching, etc.... Symptoms intensify and snowball with anxiety.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:41 PM   #3
    DeniseA
    (female)

Thanks so much for responding. With your MS have you ever experienced a vibration feeling in your body? When i wake up i feel like my body is vibrating. Kind of like a cellphone is going off in my body. Either that or when i wake up I feel like my chest is tight, im sweating around my shoulder area and my heart is beating fast. My stomach hasnt been too strong either. I feel nauseas after my meals now and i cant take it when my dad drives. I dont have mush of an apetite anymore. Could that be related to MS or ALS?

Old 04-24-2011, 05:17 PM   #4
    anxiousme
    Veteran
    (female)

anxiousme HB Useranxiousme HB Useranxiousme HB User

Yes, yes and yes....I do have vibrating feelings just like a cell phone is next to you. Yes there is something call the "MS hug". I feels like a tightening of the chest (a hug). That's why I suggest writing down your symptoms and how long they last. My symptoms usually last longer than 24 hrs. They don't come and go within seconds or minutes. However my vibrating sensations do come and go, but normally numbness, tingling, balance issues, vertigo, double vision, mood, all last for sometime. This doesn't sound like ALS issues. Check the MS board. There is also something called the McDonald criteria that doctors use to diagnose MS. Also, test like brain and spinal MRI (make sure to have the contrast during the test. Ask for it), EMG's help....

MS is not that bad... it is managable. Good Luck

Old 04-28-2011, 01:46 PM   #5
    DeniseA
    (female)

Hello,

Since I came on this board last time, i have been to the emergency room , a walk in clinic and seen my regular doctor. The doctor in the ER basically told me it was all in my head and that I was stressed out. The doctor at the walk in clinic said the same thing. He also stated that my muscle pains, spasms and facial ticks are because I'm overweight. They checked my vitamin b12, thyroid and did a chest xray. Everything was fine. They said my lungs have a hard time expanding but that's because of my weight. I've always been slighty overweight. Its never bothered me like this before. I mentioned ALS and MS and he got really angry and continued to talk about my weight. It doesnt seem like any doctor is willing to even consider it. Its so frustrating.

I also have some new symptoms. (which im sure aren't all weight related):

pressure on the left side of head.
    strange tingling feeling inside of the head
    Double vision (off and on, more on than off)
    muscle stiffness/numbness in arms
    Hot sensation on legs (time to time)
    difficulty breathing at times
    constant fatigue. (even when i get a goodnight sleep)
    Still having body twitches (legs, arms, should blades, all over feet even palm)
    Lip twitching/tingling
    Nausea
    Lack of appetite
    Tingling left side of face
    Ears sound like they are clogged and then they unclog
    Sinus pressure
    Back pain
    Joint pain
    Walking weird.(I walk front first, kind of like a ballerina and to the side. my big toe dont touch the
    ground)
    Can't keep emotions in check

For awhile, i did believe it was Lymes disease but I cant find a bite mark and dont have a fever. They have also run several blood tests and everything is fine.

I went to my family doctor who checked my circulation and did a few reflex tests. She said everything was fine. i mentioned MS to her and she just shook her head. She said she was 100% sure (i hate when doctors say that) it was a vitamin D defiency. Ive been taking the vitamins. but nothing so far. However I was able to get her to schedule a CT scan of my brain and spine. I hope to get it done tomorrow. I'm having a feeling that it might even be a brain tumor. Im so scared.

I've just been so depressed lately. I dont know whats wrong. Im so sorry to bother you all. I just need someone to talk too. Its amazing how someone can be surround by so many people, yet feel so alone. What do you guys think? Advice?

Old 05-01-2011, 04:49 PM   #6
    DeniseA
    (female)

Thanks for the advice!
    Ive been experiencing some pressure on the left side of my head as well as tingling on my face and head. As well as nose and lip twitching. I went to the ER yesterday (i was told to come back if still have the symptoms) but the doctor refused to give me a CT scan. She said I was too young to get one and that the risk of cancer is too great. She said as long as I can walk a straight line and raise both my hands in the air, with my eyes close, I'm fine. She did however give me a referral note to see a neurologist. Im starting to feel very nauseas at times. This is a new symptom. I'm seeing my family doctor on Wednesday and will mention Lyme Disease.

Did you experience any internal tremors? I wake up shaking everyday. Its absolutely horrible. I havent had a good night sleep in weeks. It takes seconds and sometime minutes for it to stop. I feel a little shaky throughout the day.It happens everytime I wake up. My joints always hurt and my muscles are so stiff. I just don't feel right in the head. Did you feel any of this?

I dont know if this might be related but before a started experiencing the tremors and muscle spasms, I was very sick. I had the stomach flu and excruciating adominal pain. Also my back was killing me. It felt like my spine was being compressed and it always hurt specifically the middle part of my back. Between my shoulder blades and down. I was given medication for it and the abdominal pain and stomach flu went away. But now im stuck with new things. I still have the back pain. Everytime I think I'm getting better, something else happens.

What was your experience with Lyme Disease? Im sorry that the topic has changed.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:23 AM   #7
    braret
    (male)

braret HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeniseAnnette View Post
    I first off want to extend my greatest well wishes and love to all those suffering with ALS and their family and friends. Ive been suffering from some problems recently and I was wondering if i could get some advice.

About two weeks ago I became very ill. I didnt have much of an apetite and had trouble sleeping. I went to the hospital and they said it was the stomach flu. About 2 days later I woke up to tingling/virbrating sensation all over my body. I tried to go back to sleep but I kept kicking ( like i was playing soccer on my bed) i also started to have muscles twitches up and down my legs. From my thighs all the way to down to my calves. It still comes and goes. Especially during rest and when I'm sitting down. My legs are always moving but i always thought it was nothing. maybe just nerves or RLS. But recently, its been really bad. I'll wake up (from the rare occasions I get to sleep) and my legs are cold and will be moving out of control. I also feel like I dont have control of my legs. Ive noticed that the bones in my legs, feet, arms, hand and knees have been cracking more often too.I also get the twitching on my arms and hands. That also comes and goes. these symptoms are worse at night. My sleep has also been severely effected. I'll wake up out of breath or get jerked out of my sleep. Ive also had a dream where i felt like someone was choking me. I felt like my throat muscles were being compressed. When I eat i get severe back pain, shortness of breath and muscle twitching.I don't have much diffculty swallowing but the breathing part can be challenging at times. My chest gets heavy and i have to breathe in as hard as possibly can. i feel weakness in both of my hand and arms but right now its mostly my left hand that is weak. What really scares me is the body vibrations i get throughout my body, mainly around my spinal area.I sometimes get numbness and twitching lips and side of face. Ive had blood taken at least 5 times in the past 2 weeks.(they were normal) urine tests (normal) and ultrasound and 2 xrays (normal).The only thing my doctor said i was, was dehydrated and needed a good cleaning (sorry too much info) Even so ive still have these symptoms and im really scared. I'm 21. i havent lived yet. Pls give me your thoughts and advice. It would be so greatly appreciated.

My Symptoms
    Off and on leg, feet, arm and hand twitching (especially at rest)
    Always have the urge to move feet
    Vibrating feeling in entire ( alot of times around my spine)
    Feels like lost control of calves area in both legs
    Joints have been cracking more often
    Lower back pain (kidney area)
    Diffculty sleeping
    Jerked out sleep
    Wake up out of sleep, not breathing right
    Feels like throat muscles are collapsing ( on 1 occasion)
    numb/ twitching lips.
    muscle cramps in left leg (went away)
    Sometimes it takes effort to talk (chest area, ive been asked to speak up numerous times)

Old 05-03-2011, 08:29 AM   #8
    braret
    (male)

braret HB User

Ty for posting your case. originally, hysteria which is not a disease , might have similar presentation. i dont think that these symptoms are related to ALS.
    By exposing your case means that you are on the way to accept symptoms and you will be ready to find solutions.

Old 05-07-2011, 05:37 PM   #9
    DeniseA
    (female)

I dont believe that i have hysteria. But thanks for your opinion.
    I have been very fatigued for quite some time. I have also noticed that my left forarm is smaller than my right. My left is almost 2 inches smaller around than my right. I have a lot of weakness in my arms as well. i can barely type using my left hand. I'm starting to get really scared. Im seeing a neurologist soon. Hopefully they can pin point something. Thanks again.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:51 PM   #10
    lotusturk
    (male)

lotusturk HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeniseAnnette View Post
    I dont believe that i have hysteria. But thanks for your opinion.
    I have been very fatigued for quite some time. I have also noticed that my left forarm is smaller than my right. My left is almost 2 inches smaller around than my right. I have a lot of weakness in my arms as well. i can barely type using my left hand. I'm starting to get really scared. Im seeing a neurologist soon. Hopefully they can pin point something. Thanks again.

I really understand you complety.Coz same sympthoms on my body too.Anyway i m in major depression and taking paxil pills.But i can say that clearly my last 4 months was as hell and still same.Coz ALS,depression and paxil pills almost have same sympthoms.Everything mixed each other on my body and in my mind.Coz i cant be sure about my situation.Confused as a crazy.I visited 12 different doctors.Nerologist,Throat department,Psychiatrist and more.Its a so hard situation and pls try to be relax.Yes its so hard but We cant do anything else.I m 29 years old and if i even have Als i really can accept it so calm.I just want my unknown situation ends.Als,depression or any other illness.I really dont care.
    Pls check my title in this forum and read my sympthoms.

Greetings from Turkey.

Last edited by lotusturk; 05-11-2011 at 02:56 PM.

Closed Thread