It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Return to Work After Discectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-18-2009, 10:09 PM   #16
    pkings
    (female)

pkings HB User
    Re: Return to Work After Discectomy

I just had the same surgery, still a little pain in my left leg. Especially, when I stand after sitting for a while.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2009, 05:48 PM   #17
    Discojo
    (male)

Discojo HB User

I had 3 surgeries on my lumbar l4-5 beginning in March 2008 an endoscopic descectomy, then another on the other side in April 2008 and finally July they performed a microdiscectomy I went back to work in August 6 weeks later and I am an outside sales managerwho does 50 percent of my job at the desk.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:10 AM   #18
    bobbimc1946
    (female)

bobbimc1946 HB User

[QUOTE=PacoKS;2987134]Hi, all. New to the board. I am scheduled for a laminectomy/discectomy next Thursday, 5/24, for a herniated disc at L4-L5. I've read a lot about this procedure on the internet, but am still curious about how quickly the recovery really is.

Some patients report that they are back to work within days of the surgery. Others note that they miss work for several weeks. My work is sedentary - sitting at a desk, participating in conference calls, creating presentations, email, etc. The surgeon noted that it would likely be about 2-3 weeks but some of his patients returned in a week.

For those of you who have had this procedure, how long were you out from work?

TIA for your responses.[/QUOTE]
    Hi - I am in my 2nd week home recovering from discectomy/laminectomy of L4-L5 just like you are going to have. It took longer(surgery) than anticipated but it sure relieved the leg pain and foot pain and numbness. I was told to start walking immediately which I have done. I now do about 15 minutes morning and afternoon. I too have a total desk job and was told not to sit longer than 20 minutes for awhile. Get up!! I probably could go back next Monday, but am going to see what doc says at follow up on Friday. More than likely I would take off 2 weeks if I were you. I probably could have gone back this past Monday, but I am glad to have this week off to get to walking better and figuring out a pattern to get away from computer after 20 minutes. I would say AT LEAST a week, 2 is better and maybe 3. Hope this helps.

Closed Thread