It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Migraines since ACDF surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-09-2011, 01:16 PM   #1
    silty
    (female)

silty HB User
    Migraines since ACDF surgery

Hi

I had ACDF surgery Oct 2010 so I am 7 mths post op. November, December, April this year and May 2nd I have experienced terrible miagraines I have never had before. Also a lot of mdaily regular headaches. I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen after having ACDF surgery. It was c5-c6 area. My only real concern is I have noticed since the April migraine when speaking I am reversing my words. i.e I will say "supper what do you want?" Instead of saying "what do you want for supper. It is concerning me. My husband thinks it is due to stress and too many things going thru my mind. I have been under extreme stress lately. 5 children under 12, one that is autistic.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced migraines after having this type of surgery.

Thank You

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2011, 07:03 AM   #2
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
    Re: Migraines since ACDF surgery

I had migraine type headaches before my fusion & now have more mild vs after.
    Have you mentioned this to your surgeon & if so what did he say?

As far as mixing up your words or speaking our context I did indeed do that & I remember someone else complaining of the same. Had some memory problems also, such as could not remember where the keys were on the key board. Strange & had me concerned but it took a long time for me to feel normal.
    Ask your surgeon about these problems your having as I bet your not the only one.
    good luck, Sammy

Old 05-11-2011, 07:35 AM   #3
    silty
    (female)

silty HB User

Hi Sammy

Thanks for your reply. I saw my surgeon back in Nov just for follow up. Was not getting the migraines at that point. I did make an appt to see my nerologist June 13th hope he will be able to tell me what is going on. Besides the migraines it seems also like I have a headache almost everyday now.

Thank you for letting me know about your speech issues. I was getting so nervous my mom implied maybe I had a stroke and being somewhat of a hypocondriac anyways she had me so nervous.

Thank you again it does make me feel better to know someone else has experienced this. I wonder since 7mths post op this speech thing just kind of starting if that means a problem with my fusion or maybe just related to the migraines. I am eager to see my nerologist.

Thanks again !!!

Old 05-12-2011, 07:55 AM   #4
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Your welcome. I feel for you as I know migraines & headaches are the most distracting type of pain. You just can't seem to think or function & its exhausting.

I'm trying to remember but I believe I felt better right after surgery & then felt worse for awhile. It did take a long time to feel I was not loosing my mind. With your problem developing 7months later I would want some answers.

Before my surgery all my doctors claimed my spinal injury could not be causing my headaches but once the surgeon got in there he believed the condition he found my spine in was more then likely the cause. I remember my husband telling me & crying with relief. I was so scared of that pain.

Are you taking anything to try to combat the headaches? It would be worth a try.

Of course I'm no doctor & can't say whats causing your pain but has to be something. So do not let any doctor blow you off. I found it difficult to get straight answers from doctors after surgery.

I can see why your mom mentioned stroke with your symptoms but spinal problems can cause some strange things. When my problems first started it was so much like cardiac it had a lot of people fooled.

I know my neck is the cause of my headaches. I use one kind of pillow now as it helps at times. My neck is also super tender some days.
    Is there anything at all the gives your relief? Heat, ice, certain positions? I use good quality essential oils & they do help some. In fact I prefer the oils more then any over the counter product. I rub my neck down, temple area & any other area I think my help.

I can honestly say I have had others try it & every single person seem to like the oils for one reason or another. It may be worth a try but they have to be good quality & can't usually find them in stores. If your interested let me know & I'll tell you what ones seem to help me out.
    I did not think it would help when some one mentioned trying them to me but I was surprised at how soothing they can be.

I'm glad to hear your going to a Neurologist. I wish for your sake you could get in sooner as I hate to hear of anyone suffering so. It can't hurt to check your fusion as you never know.
    I wish you the best of luck & pray you get some relief. Sammy

Old 05-13-2011, 05:19 AM   #5
    silty
    (female)

silty HB User

Hi Sammy

Thank you again. My neck was bothering for 2 years my primary care dr told me just tension take a valium. Then both arms numb from elbow down w/ pins and needles all day everday he told me live with it unless it got worse. Then I told him my calves were both numb for about 7mths again told me to live with it.

In august on a sunday morning I woke up numb from the waist down could barely walk. In setp 2010 my primary told me only thing that could cause both arm/leg numbess was in the brain so I did have a brain MRI in September which was normal.

Then I saw a nerologist. He decided to do one of my neck w/dye. At this point I could barely walk, barely take a shower so lightheaded from the weakness/stress on my body. Saw the surgeon At Tufts in boston. I had herniated disk c5-c6 so took out replaced w/cadava titanuim plate w 4/screws.

Also he said I had a bone spur pressing on my cord causing the paralysis. They removed that. Said severe spinal stenosis w/myalpthy.

I am better although I still limp. The more I do during the day the more I limp. He said he could not tell me that would go away. I have 5 little kids and I can not totally enjoy myself w/them pyshically (i.e. Couldnt go trick or treating last year and dont think I could this year too much walking) Also the more I walk I become very lightheaded.

My arms are better except my fingers still numb, they did say that would be the last to heal. My neck no longer aches which is good but wonder if the pain is being transferred into migraines I thought I read that online somewhere that the nerves could single the pain somewhere else.

Sorry so long but that is my whole story. They told me up to a year, but I don't see myself getting better. I can walk on my own without the help of my husband so def better than before. But still limited mobility and now these migraines...daily regular headaches , I just feel very very old and icky.

I am hoping my nerologist who is old school he is in his 70's but is awesome but ony works his office 3 days a week from 1-5 so therefore takes a little longer to get an appt but I feel he is woth the wait.

Thank You again.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:13 AM   #6
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Wow, that primary may have got his degree out of a cereal box. No offense but sounds like you were an easy diagnosis. Your neck hurt & it went down hill from there. There are doctors that should not be doctors. Mine took approx. 2yrs. to diagnosis but I had strange symptoms & my neck did not bother me at first.

Sad, Sad story. It took some time to find your problem & fix it so it may take some time to feel better. I have heard some people stating it took them well over a year & I don't doubt that.One of my PTs explained to me that many heal in reverse order & it takes a long time for those nerves to heal, if they do.

So for me my shoulder was the first to bother me & the last to feel semi normal. Although its never returned to "normal' its better then it was but it took well over that year. Its starting to act up again, both shoulders but I know there are other problematic discs in there as my surgeon warned me.

I have some issues with walking also. In the mornings I shuffle as it feels I cannot pick my feet up all the way. I am one of the lucky ones & have some relief from the Epidural injections. I have lumbar problems also but since the injections help me feet it truly makes me wonder if the cervical is causing most of my problems.

Did your surgeon say anything about the surrounding discs?

The hardest thing is not knowing whats causing what & I'm sure your frustrated as you went through enough with that primary.

As far as the oils go I use Peppermint, Wintergreen & Black Pepper. Lavender is good for soothing. There is an oil called Deep relief made by one company & its pretty good stuff.
    years ago MIL brought me some Lavender when I suffered migraines & it did help relax me. Ive noticed more & more talk on oils. They mention them on the Doctors show often & my PM stated at one point he almost went into his own line of oils so there must be something to them.

I thought it was worth mentioning. The only problem is has to be quality oil & that can be hard to find unless its online. I hate migraines & hate to hear of anyone suffering with them.
    Perhaps someone else will come a long with some in put. I wish I could help you more.
    I'll be here waiting to hear how your visit goes & here if you need to vent.
    Hang in there & god bless, Sammy

The Following User Says Thank You to sammyo1 For This Useful Post:
    silty (06-11-2011)
    Old 05-14-2011, 03:48 AM   #7
    sk84life
    (female)

sk84life HB Usersk84life HB Usersk84life HB User

Just a few comments re migraines. I've had them for decades but when dealing with pain before/after my first ACDF I learned that pain meds can trigger a migraine (dilauded, percocet, vicodin.) In recent years there has been a lot of research about drug induced migraines, especially those that use chronic pain meds including Advil, etc. The latest help seems to be to take a 2 month holiday from all pain meds to break the cycle. Add stress, unconscious jaw clenching, sinusitis, etc. and daily migraines can happen. I've also learned from personal experience that triggers for migraines change over time.

Just thought I would share this as it may not be the physical effects of the surgery itself but rather other things you do related to the pain and recovery of a surgery.

I hope your recovery continues and I wish you only the best!

Old 06-11-2011, 09:06 AM   #8
    silty
    (female)

silty HB User

Thank You for your reply. I am seeing my neurologist Monday with alot of questions. Have not had a migraine since May 2nd....but I want to know from him why am I still walking with a limp ? I have no pain but still limp. The more I do the heavier the limp. I want to know if that will ever go away. Second I am going to address the migraines and why I get so lightheaded. Seems the more I walk the more lightheaded I get, but sometimes just sitting talking to someone Im lightheaded. I think it is because my legs are weak from not doing much since last august.I am hoping to get some good answers.

I just hope I will get better I feel like an old women and have 5 little ones to take care of. I will let you know how my appt. goes. Thanks again for taking time to repy.

Lisa

Old 06-13-2011, 10:23 PM   #9
    missus chris
    (female)

missus chris HB User

1st post from a longtime lurker. I had severe bilateral haedaches following ACDF at C5/6 in Dec 2010. Fortunatey, my interventional PM is in the same practice group as the orthopedic/spine doc. At my 2 week appt, my PM gave me bilateral nerve blocks to the occipital and temporal nerves (maybe 20 injections total). I haven't had a h/a since! Insurance wasn't happy about it, since it was "unproven" as determined by a UROLOGIST! Fortunately, between my doctor and I, the cost was covered. (I defend doctors in med mal lawsoits,and did some insurance bad faith work in the past, so my advice is, when in doubt, threaten "bad faith breach of insurance contract".) If you have a PM, maybe give it a try...best of luck!

Old 06-14-2011, 04:40 AM   #10
    silty
    (female)

silty HB User

Thank you for your post. I will mention it to my nerologist. I saw him yesterday he thinks the trama from the surgery brought out the migraines. He said since I am not having them weekly they do not give preventive medicine. I only have had 3 one in Nov, April and May.

I am going to get an MRI tonight. Was quick just saw him yesterday. He is going to do post op cervical neck/spine. He says my spinal column was injured and the MRI should show him an idea of my prognosis. I may be like this forever he thinks I will get better (regarding my constant limp) but mention it could take years, but the damage may be too bad to ever fully recover.

As far as headaches does not want to treat them now. The dizziness said could be vertigo associated w/migraines. I told him the more I walk the more lightheaded I get he mentioned could be drop in blood pressure. I didn't ask him why blood pressure would drop I need to ask him that when I call for my MRI results.

My husband wants us to sue my primary care doctor. I told him its too hard they always win. But for 2 years I complained to him about my arms being numb, neck aching told me stress take a valium, then my calfes went numb told me try to live with it until it gets worse.....he really screwed me up possibly for the rest of my life

The nero tested my reflexes and they were bouncing of the walls he said that tells him my spinal cord is irratated. Well going today and I hope the MRI Shows hope that the damage is not that bad and that I will improve.

I will keep what you mention in the back of my mind just incase the migraines come more often..Thank you so much

Lisa

Old 09-06-2011, 12:27 PM   #11
    silty
    (female)

silty HB User

Hi Sammy,

my daily headaches are back and nothing over the counter seems to work. You had mentioned you used oils and seem to like those. Could you reccommend some and where I might get them.

Thanks so much

Old 09-07-2011, 06:31 AM   #12
    sammyo1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I'm so sorry to hear that. You need to call your doctor & have them try a prescription medication for the relief of headaches. There are several your doctor can recommend. Have you tried any? Are you on any meds or had any changes? There are medications I can't touch or I get violent headaches.

As far as the oils the best of the best for pain are through Young Living. A little pricey but they are the best. In fact my BF was just talking to her massage therapist & he said he has not found any better for pain. I try different brands & have not found any either. Some comparable but not as good.
    Lavender is soothing at night, but Peppermint & Wintergreen are really good. So in the combo oil called Deep Relief. These are strong so use with a carrier like cold pressed olive oil, which you can get at any store if your skin is sensitive.

The moist heat is great to use a long with it. I can't say if it will help you but they wont go to waste as you can use them on any ache or pain. Read up on it. Every person that Ive had try them want more so that speaks volumes to me or I would not recommend it at all.

Also watch the pillow you use. I had to get a certain pillow. Its a shame you are still suffering so. My doctor gives me something just in case & depending on the severity at times it will help at others nothing helps.

I have found certain things can trigger mine since my fusion. Lifting any heavy object, which I simply cannot do. Lifting above my head also for any length of time, such as high dusting. Bending my head in one position for to long such as in my sleep.
    Good luck & I hope you get some relief. I know its miserable. Sammy

Closed Thread