It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board

• Eat Right 4 Your Blood Type

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-02-2011, 05:50 PM   #1
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Eat Right 4 Your Blood Type

After being on this blood type diet for a few months, I began to wonder about the science behind it, if any. So, by the recommendation of a librarian, I did a Google search to see if the author has published any papers in any scientific journal(s).

So far it doesn't look good. I have read a few reviews that say there's no science behind the blood type diet. They say the author gives no proof or documentation to quantify his statements. There's "no peer reviewed data to validate any of his theories,...."

But there are many people who say the diet has helped them in one way or another. So, if you are among those who like it, I don't see any reason why you would need to stop. Most of the foods he recommends are natural whole foods.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2011, 03:07 PM   #2
    duck009
    (male)

duck009 HB User
    Re: Eat Right 4 Your Blood Type

I was on that diet a few years ago when I didn't know any better. It's complete bollocks. Pure pseudoscience.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:32 PM   #3
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

My brother was telling me about this eating plan and I found it to be very interesting, but haven't yet done any research on it myself. I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't know my blood type, but it was very interesting that I seemed to fall immediately into one category/blood type's recommendations for what I know works best for my body. It was literally a perfect match from what my brother was reading to me! The foods they said would upset my stomach definitely are ones I stay away from, and it recommended lean protein from meats, which I absolutely feel works best for me or I end up not feeling satisfied from my meals, like something is just missing. My mom's blood type and recommendations matched up pretty well too!

Is this an eating plan to feel and function your best and overall good health - or is it more of something for weight loss? I'll definitely want to read into it more, even if the science might not be there 100%. I've been doing more of listening to my body and eating foods that I know are nutritious but also work for me and make me feel my best and get my best figure.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:21 AM   #4
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tUrRrRa View Post
    I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't know my blood type, but it was very interesting that I seemed to fall immediately into one category/blood type's recommendations for what I know works best for my body. It was literally a perfect match from what my brother was reading to me! The foods they said would upset my stomach definitely are ones I stay away from, and it recommended lean protein from meats, which I absolutely feel works best for me or I end up not feeling satisfied from my meals, like something is just missing.
    If lean protein works for you, it seems like you might be type O. Type O people are said to produce a lot of stomach acid which works well for the digestion of meat. However, some doctors have criticized this because they say type Os, on average, only produce marginally more stomach acid. And type O people, on average, will gradually produce less stomach acid as they age. So some type Os may actually produce less stomach acid than other blood types. (It's like saying that women, on average, live longer than men.)

Quote:
    Is this an eating plan to feel and function your best and overall good health - or is it more of something for weight loss?
    It's intended for both. For those who are eating a lot of processed foods, it should work very well because he mostly recommends natural whole foods.

Quote:
    I'll definitely want to read into it more, even if the science might not be there 100%.
    Sure, it's interesting to see what effects, if any, different foods will have. I used to think that grapefruit had a bad effect on me and I thought oranges were a better choice. Now I'm doing just the opposite, eating grapefruit every day and avoiding oranges. And I learned it from "Eat Right 4 Your Type". Non-sweet fruit is a better choice for health. This is backed up by books on the subject of "pH balance". Books like: "The pH Miracle"

Quote:
    I've been doing more of listening to my body and eating foods that I know are nutritious but also work for me and make me feel my best and get my best figure.
    Listening to your body sounds like a good plan. I'm a big believer in that. I'm type O so I'm supposed to eat meat, but after 3 months of eating meat and eggs, I decided to go vegan again. However, I'm still following the authors recommendations for fruit, vegetables, legumes, grains, nuts and oils etc..

Science or no science, I have experienced some improvement. I used to often have a sudden extreem need to rush to the bathroom to relieve my bladder. Along with that there was some difficulty in emptying my bladder and a slight feeling of irritation. Now I seldom feel the need to rush, there's no irritation and my bladder will empty much faster, with no feeling of obstruction. But the improvement was gradual (over a period of 3 to 4 months).

Old 05-14-2011, 01:57 PM   #5
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I definitely think that I fit the Type O description very accurately! I admire those who go vegan and think that's great, because I know I would have a very hard time with that being such a big meat eater. I definitely see and feel many benefits when eating less processed foods. I hope you continue to do well with your changes in diet and keep seeing more benefits!

Old 05-14-2011, 07:52 PM   #6
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Well, the thing about the "blood type diets" is that all of them are healthy options, and far better than the standard American diet!

Also, there's a bit of a horoscope effect in play. Basically, if you find that the diet prescribed for your blood type really is the best for you, then you decide that the book is right. If you don't, then you generally disregard the book.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:58 AM   #7
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post

Also, there's a bit of a horoscope effect in play. Basically, if you find that the diet prescribed for your blood type really is the best for you, then you decide that the book is right. If you don't, then you generally disregard the book.
    Yes, and don't forget the placebo effect. Years ago, I met a doctor at a health seminar and he said that all diet plans work like placebos. That was a new concept for me because I had always thought of placebos as being in pill form.

When I think back to all the health books I've read, they always start by painting a very optimistic picture. Something like this: "You will feel more energy, lose weight and look younger." This might go on for one, two or more chapters to build up one's confidence or expectations.

The same thing is at work with the placebos that are used in double blind studies. The very thought that a pill might be helpful has a benificial effect on a significant percentage of study participants. Drug companies often have a problem with this because their drug must outperform the placebo in order to gain approval.

And not long ago I read that placebos even work when people are told they are taking placebos.

The down side is that the placebo effect doesn't last and that's why people often change from one diet plan to another. The magic wears off. I believe this applies mostly to fad diets.

Eating natural (healthy) whole foods should have a good long-lasting effect.

Last edited by JohnR41; 05-21-2011 at 11:01 AM. Reason: word change

Old 05-21-2011, 02:44 PM   #8
    bdrunner79
    Veteran
    (male)

bdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB User

The placebo effect is very real. That's why I tell people whatever they believe, make sure they believe it deep down, make absolutely sure you believe it. Scientifically is a blood type diet ridiculous? Yes.

Old 05-21-2011, 02:54 PM   #9
    bdrunner79
    Veteran
    (male)

bdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB Userbdrunner79 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tUrRrRa View Post
    I definitely think that I fit the Type O description very accurately! I admire those who go vegan and think that's great, because I know I would have a very hard time with that being such a big meat eater. I definitely see and feel many benefits when eating less processed foods. I hope you continue to do well with your changes in diet and keep seeing more benefits!
    Right. But unfortunately for the author, all of the benefits reaped by everyone on here has nothing to do with their blood types.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:27 PM   #10
    livinggreen
    (female)

livinggreen HB User

Hello,

Was looking thru all the different diets that are effective to people. I was wondering how does the Blood type diet works? And are there anyone here who was successful in that diet?

Many thanks!

Old 06-14-2011, 09:53 PM   #11
    whitemore55
    Inactive
    (male)

whitemore55 HB User

Sometimes i have tried to diet. But i failed. Because i can continue it some days. After some days i can not have enough patient to move away from food. Then i ate a lot of .I did not get any result. So sad story.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:37 PM   #12
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jenj770 View Post
    My daughter and I, who are different blood types, tried the blood typing diet years ago and both did very well on it! She, especially, had some difficulties that cleared up amazingly fast after starting the Type A diet. I'm glad we adhered to it at that time and we still keep the principles in mind, because they worked. I do think, however, that as we age our dietary needs change. Not sure if he discusses this in the books. I, for instance, am an O blood type - a meat eater, but the older I get the more A oriented I have become in my eating habits. This may not be contradictory to anything D'Adamo is saying.

Lastly, I don't think what he is saying is nonsense. One way of eating doesn't work for all and he certainly is not advocating anything that is not in the direction of health. To me, it doesn't make sense to denounce something if one hasn't personally experienced it.
    I've also noticed that my eating has changed with time! Some foods that used to bother my stomach no longer bother me, and others do. I used to not be able to eat much dairy at all. I still buy lactose free milk, but I regularly eat other dairy products and am fine. I also used to not be as much of a meat eater (I ate it, but I could certainly eat a meal in the past without meat and feel fine), and now I feel much better physically and more satisfied to eat some kind of lean meat. I'm also more sensitive to sweets. In the past, I could eat some kind of sweet junk food and not feel bad, but now, I definitely feel tired after having too much sugar!

Old 06-18-2011, 11:43 AM   #13
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

More thoughts about D'Adamo's blood type diet:

If D'Adamo's "scientific" observation isn't valid (i.e., laboratory testing of isolated lectins with various blood types visible under a microscope), how did he come up with the various lists of foods for different blood types? He claims he actually observed agglutinating cells taking place with incompatible combinations.

Did he just arbitrarily make up all those long lists of foods for various blood types? I don't think so and the 2 reviews I read don't suggest that he did. The anonymous (on-line) reviewers conveniently chose not to deal with it; they just completely ignore the microscopic evidence. Then, after ignoring it, they claim there's no evidence.

I understand that they (whoever they are) have a lot of objections. Probably the biggest objection would be that D'Adamo's plan is impractical from the standpoint of a medical doctor (or the AMA). Medical doctors are not dietitions or nutritionists. Furthermore, once you develop a disease or certain conditions of advanced aging, you can't always expect to be helped by following the blood type diet. In some cases, for example, a type O person may have to stop eating meat if their stomach acid declines with age. What it means is that D'Adamo's diet plan isn't fool-proof. It doesn't work in all situations.

However, as far as I'm concerned, as long as no one is claiming that D'Adamo's microscopic evidence is false, I'll continue to follow his dietary recommendations. Why consume food-lectins that your immune system sees as enemy invaders? Why put an unnecessary burden on your immune system? This blood type diet may not always cure what's ailing you but it may give you a better chance at being healthy.

Once again. if it wasn't for the different blood types, the dietary recommendations would be the same for everyone. The recommendations are not the same because he noticed different (microscopic) reactions that food-lectins have to different blood types. The reviewers did NOT refute that.

Last edited by JohnR41; 06-20-2011 at 08:59 AM. Reason: word changes

Closed Thread