It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

• Worried about my knee after surgery, need some assurance or advice please

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-17-2011, 08:31 PM   #1
    donaldkbart
    (male)

donaldkbart HB User
    Worried about my knee after surgery, need some assurance or advice please

Here's a little background about my condition. I am 26 years old, and have done martial arts,, played basketball, and worked in an environment where I knelt on my knees alot. I never injured them but started having pain under my knee cap in late 2009. I went to the doctor and he thought it was patellar tendonitis, so he gave me a cortisone shot, and had me do physical therapy. This worked for a while but I started having pains again so we did an MRI. This is on both knees by the way. The MRI showed a torn meniscus on both knees and minor chondromalacia.

So, on Feb. 23, 2011 I had arthroscopic surgery on my right knee. He cleaned up the meniscus and also did a lateral release. I started physical therapy and everything was going well, but just this past couple of weeks I've had sharp pains on the right side of my right knee. It is also sensitive to the touch.

On April 13, 2011 I had the same procedure on my left knee and it seems as if everything is going well like the other one did, but i have no pain just a little stiffness probably caused from swelling.

I am at the point where I am trying to do a light jog, and that is where I feel the sharp pain on the outside of my right knee. Also when I squat down, I hear a crunching sound that I have never heard before on my right knee and it is semi-painful around the kneecap.

If you can understand my rambling lol, I would appreciate any words of encouragement or advice about my progression. Thank you !

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2011, 06:06 AM   #2
    gregmurray
    (male)

gregmurray HB User
    Re: Worried about my knee after surgery, need some assurance or advice please

I'm 60 --just had both knees replaced in late Jan. this year. Am doing great now. I had 3 scopes years ago from playing competitive volleyball for 25 years-eventually bone on bone w/lots of arthritis made me get them replaced. I can recall every scope and eventually went back to playing ball etc.Try not to rush it.Worked outside all my life and retired after 38 years. Good luck in the future

Old 05-28-2011, 09:03 AM   #3
    donaldkbart
    (male)

donaldkbart HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmurray View Post
    I'm 60 --just had both knees replaced in late Jan. this year. Am doing great now. I had 3 scopes years ago from playing competitive volleyball for 25 years-eventually bone on bone w/lots of arthritis made me get them replaced. I can recall every scope and eventually went back to playing ball etc.Try not to rush it.Worked outside all my life and retired after 38 years. Good luck in the future
    I appreciate the response. I will keep working and try to be patient.

Old 05-29-2011, 05:17 AM   #4
    barb70
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

barb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by donaldkbart View Post
    Here's a little background about my condition. I am 26 years old, and have done martial arts,, played basketball, and worked in an environment where I knelt on my knees alot. I never injured them but started having pain under my knee cap in late 2009. I went to the doctor and he thought it was patellar tendonitis, so he gave me a cortisone shot, and had me do physical therapy. This worked for a while but I started having pains again so we did an MRI. This is on both knees by the way. The MRI showed a torn meniscus on both knees and minor chondromalacia.

So, on Feb. 23, 2011 I had arthroscopic surgery on my right knee. He cleaned up the meniscus and also did a lateral release. I started physical therapy and everything was going well, but just this past couple of weeks I've had sharp pains on the right side of my right knee. It is also sensitive to the touch.

On April 13, 2011 I had the same procedure on my left knee and it seems as if everything is going well like the other one did, but i have no pain just a little stiffness probably caused from swelling.

I am at the point where I am trying to do a light jog, and that is where I feel the sharp pain on the outside of my right knee. Also when I squat down, I hear a crunching sound that I have never heard before on my right knee and it is semi-painful around the kneecap.

If you can understand my rambling lol, I would appreciate any words of encouragement or advice about my progression. Thank you !
    Are you seeing a PT? I find that a good one seems to be more open to talking to you and explaining your situation and how to cope. Those surgeons are a breed all of their own. At least that is my opinion. They cut you open and send you on your way without much help following the surgery.
    I had one of the best with a great reputation as far as the surgery goes, but when it came to any follow up forget it. I had to go to another doctor to get more help.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:06 AM   #5
    donaldkbart
    (male)

donaldkbart HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by barb70 View Post
    Are you seeing a PT? I find that a good one seems to be more open to talking to you and explaining your situation and how to cope. Those surgeons are a breed all of their own. At least that is my opinion. They cut you open and send you on your way without much help following the surgery.
    I had one of the best with a great reputation as far as the surgery goes, but when it came to any follow up forget it. I had to go to another doctor to get more help.
    Yes, I do see a PT. I feel the same way about my doctor. He had a good reputation. but follow ups I ask him if the pain is normal and he moves my leg around a bit and says "oh yea" The PT is more open to it but then they just rub on it and they aren't really sure if it's normal or not. It still hurts my right knee more to do things and I had it done 2 months before my left.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:19 AM   #6
    barb70
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

barb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by donaldkbart View Post
    Yes, I do see a PT. I feel the same way about my doctor. He had a good reputation. but follow ups I ask him if the pain is normal and he moves my leg around a bit and says "oh yea" The PT is more open to it but then they just rub on it and they aren't really sure if it's normal or not. It still hurts my right knee more to do things and I had it done 2 months before my left.
    My PT does a lot more than just rubbing the knee. I spend 20 minutes on the incumbent bike and 40 minutes on the Nu Step bike. Then I do various exercises and then the awful bending which has improved, but I am not up to where I was a year ago. He said many people can just get so far and that's it, but I'm not satisfied. I go to the fitness center on the days I'm not at the PT and ride the incumbent bike for 30 minutes. I shoud do more exercises at home and will walk on my treadmill now and then, but I hate every minute of any exercise so perhaps some of this is my own fault.
    I even tried water therapy with a trainer and that did nothing, but take up my time and use my Medicare time up. Some people love it, but I hated it.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:28 AM   #7
    donaldkbart
    (male)

donaldkbart HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by barb70 View Post
    My PT does a lot more than just rubbing the knee. I spend 20 minutes on the incumbent bike and 40 minutes on the Nu Step bike. Then I do various exercises and then the awful bending which has improved, but I am not up to where I was a year ago. He said many people can just get so far and that's it, but I'm not satisfied. I go to the fitness center on the days I'm not at the PT and ride the incumbent bike for 30 minutes. I shoud do more exercises at home and will walk on my treadmill now and then, but I hate every minute of any exercise so perhaps some of this is my own fault.
    I even tried water therapy with a trainer and that did nothing, but take up my time and use my Medicare time up. Some people love it, but I hated it.
    Sorry I didn't mention I do exercises also just noone seems to be interested to actually see what the pain is. They just keep saying keep working hard so that's all I can do I guess haha.

Closed Thread