It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board

• Chronic Sinusitis - already had 3 sinus surgeries

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-15-2010, 09:22 PM   #1
    maral
    (female)

maral HB User
    Chronic Sinusitis - already had 3 sinus surgeries

I thought I would put this question out in cyberspace, hoping someone may have a solution.

I have frequent sinus infections. As soon as I finish one course of antibiotics (Biaxin), I need to repeat the course again. As long as I stay on antibiotics, I feel fine. Otherwise, I become very fatigued easily and develop fibromyalia pain.

I see a good ENT and we have tried everything. Steroids, both oral and inhaled. We have also tried sinus irrigation with inhaled antibiotics with a mixture of Vancomycin. I did this one for several months. It isn't better than Biaxin. The results are the same for me.

I have already had 3 sinus surgeries and none have brought significant relief. My last visit, my doctor said that my sinuses are open. I have been on allergy shots off and on for the last 10 years. I have not found that there is a significant improvement. The only improvement is with antibiotics.

I have also tried nasal irrigation with the Neil Med system. I have found that after a couple of days, my ears become stopped up. I am doing the method correctly as I have performed this in front of my doctor, just to make sure.

I have also done steam therapy with essential oils. It does clear me up, but the stuffiness returns within the hour.

I have been using a product called SinuSoothe for about 2 months. I have found some relief with it. However, 2 weeks ago, I developed an acute sinus infection again. I am still having fatigue problems, and am on my second course of antibiotics (Biaxin). I cannot take Levoquin, and even when I have, it yields the same results as the Biaxin, with the infection returning about 7-10 days later. Every strong antibiotic so far has yielded the same.

On my most recent visit, I asked if another sinus surgery would help. Specifically, using the balloon technique. He said it wouldn't because my sinuses are open. I have regular endoscopic exams as well. He only suggested that maybe he could take me to surgery and rinse out my sinuses.

I don't think that is a long-term solution.

This is affecting my quality of life and has been for over 10 years. I am tired of living like this. I have gone through every treatment possible. I do believe that daily irrigation should be beneficial, but the water gets caught and goes to my ears. My ears seem to stay stopped up a lot. Sometimes it affects my balance.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Or will I remain one of the 20% of the population who will always have a chronic sinus condition?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2010, 11:54 AM   #2
    JJBJ
    (female)

JJBJ HB User
    Re: Chronic Sinusitis - already had 3 sinus surgeries

Sinus infections start in your nose. If your nose is clean you will have less problems. It is like brushing your teeth or washing your hands, you do not need a drug or a doctor. Neti Pots have a good track record but are a bit aggressive. Xlear nasal wash optimizes nasal cleaning as well as being simpler and safer. It can be used frequently when you have an infection or used less frequently but regularly to prevent one. You would never think of not brushing your teeth until you have a cavity and the same applies to you nasal passages. Xlear is affordable and effective. Keep your nose clean. I started with the surgeries at age 5 and had problems until I discovered Xlear in 1999 in Texas at the age of 58. Have not had to have any antibiotics since then. If I do start to have a problem it occurs when I get so confident that I forget to use the Xlear. I find it works best for me when I put it beside my bed and use in morning and night or with my toothbrush and use it when I brush. However, I also keep a bottle in my purse, and on my desk. It is invaluable when I travel on airplanes and stay in motels.

Last edited by JJBJ; 12-09-2010 at 12:02 PM. Reason: wanted to make more personal

Old 01-28-2011, 08:25 AM   #3
    wakkochic17
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wakkochic17 HB User

I second looking at a pulsatile irrigation system. I have one and love it! It regulates the flow and actually "pulses" the water through your system versus pushing it through with force like the NeilMed. I have both sytems. I tend to use the bottle for quick rinses and the irrigation system every now and then. However for me, I've been very lucky that the surgery has cleared up my sinus infections. I know someone else though who has been through 2 surgeries and still has problems. I really hope you find something that works! As a side note, be careful with Levaquin (and sister drug Cipro).. it put me in physical therapy with a torn rotator cuff!! Stuff is evil on tendons.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-07-2011 at 05:16 PM.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:33 PM   #4
    oblivion sneeze
    (male)

oblivion sneeze HB User

Hi, a friend of mine who has had chronic sinusitis for around 10 years recently started taking 'Bromelain' (its derived from pineapple enzymes) and its apparently helping a lot.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:05 AM   #5
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by maral View Post
    ... I have also tried nasal irrigation with the Neil Med system. I have found that after a couple of days, my ears become stopped up. I am doing the method correctly as I have performed this in front of my doctor, just to make sure. ...
    If your ears become stopped up during a nasal irrigation it means, IMHO, that during the irrigation something caused liquid to get into your Eustachian Tubes. The tubes are located, for both left and right ear tube, near the back of your throat, about even with the nostril openings.

Swallowing, coughing, chewing, etc., can cause the opening of the Eustachian tubes and allow liquid to get into the tube and can cause plugging of the ears.

That is why, when I did sinus floodings with Peroxide, I was very careful, especially of the position of my head, to lessen the chances of getting the liquid into my ears via the Eustachian Tubes.

⇒ 900 weight lifts and 750 knee bends daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Machaon; 03-09-2011 at 05:08 AM.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:10 PM   #6
    Major 9802
    (female)

Major 9802 HB User

I have no solution. I am here looking for answers just like you and wanted you to know there are others like you. I just turned 40 and had my second surgery last January for polyp removal and for constantly being sick. Antibiotics, steroids, ok for 3 weeks than sick again. Now, I am worse. I think so much of my sinus cavity has been carved out that I no longer have a normal mucus flow. It just sits up there and gets clogged.

I have been using NeilMed but I think its backflowing into my ears. I'm sick of being sick and am tired of the usual round of meds that are now useless and dangerous. I need to step up the allergy route. My doctor said I should be taking Singular and Alavert or something similar every day. Maybe that will help. Sigh.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:28 AM   #7
    bihongo
    (male)

bihongo HB User

need caldwell luc surgery again

Old 04-02-2011, 12:21 PM   #8
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Major 9802 View Post
    I just turned 40 and had my second surgery last January for polyp removal and for constantly being sick.
    I can relate to you. I used to have constant sinus problems and polyps and swollen turbinates and sinus misery. Fortunately, as my allergy improved the polyps and my sinus problems got better.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Major 9802
    Antibiotics, steroids, ok for 3 weeks than sick again. Now, I am worse. I think so much of my sinus cavity has been carved out that I no longer have a normal mucus flow. It just sits up there and gets clogged.
    Unfortunately, until allergy issues are resolved, there could be constant problems with swollen turbinates and with polyps.

Have you had any allergy shots? Have you been tested for allergies? Have you found any foods that cause you sinus problems?

There are many foods, drinks, substances, materials, odors, chemicals, pollens, pollutants, dust, inks, animals, rugs, furniture, etc. that can cause sinus misery due to allergies and sensitivities. These sinus problems can also lead to recurrent sinus infections.

Quote:
    I have been using NeilMed but I think its backflowing into my ears.
    Sinus rinses are almost worthless against allergic sinusitis, IMHO. What I have found to be most effective for me is a Fluticasone nasal spray.

Quote:
    I'm sick of being sick and am tired of the usual round of meds that are now useless and dangerous. I need to step up the allergy route. My doctor said I should be taking Singular and Alavert or something similar every day. Maybe that will help. Sigh.
    I am puzzled? The first thing an allergy sufferer should be on is a steroidal nasal spray and perhaps something like Singular. Haven't you been on any allergy sinus medication?

Especially down in South Florida, where weed, tree and grass pollens are often very active.

⇒ 900 weight lifts and 750 knee bends daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Machaon; 04-02-2011 at 12:25 PM.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:31 AM   #9
    alan31
    Inactive
    (male)

alan31 HB User

Maral
    Quote:
    I have also done steam therapy with essential oils. It does clear me up, but the stuffiness returns within the hour.
    Could it be that your turbinates are enlarged, and hence the stuffiness? I say that from experience. I've had one sinus surgery and procedure to reduce turbinates. And your doctor did say your sinuses are open.

I've learnt that stuffiness is most likely due to enlarged turbinates because thats where any breathing resistance is seen (other than apnea, which is a separate thing and is not an issue here) and that is critical at night when we breath through the nose. I have a lot to share, ask and talk about. I'm still trying to fix my sinus problems. Glad to be here.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:46 PM   #10
    Sharon2011
    (female)

Sharon2011 HB User

Maral, i don't have any words of advice. I just wanted to say that I am very sorry that you have had to endure this for so long. Are you sure that your sinuses are open? My ENT keeps insisting that my sinuses are open, but I know they are not, and that is why I keep getting infections. Anyways, I just wanted to give you a big cyber hug, and I believe that miracles do happen, and will pray for you.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:53 PM   #11
    Sharon2011
    (female)

Sharon2011 HB User

ok, this may sound crazy to you, but I also have been on Lyme disease boards. It seems that sinusitis is also associated with Lyme disease. Do your sinuses always feel swollen?

Closed Thread