It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lasik Eye Surgery Message Board

• Corneal Abrasion during Lasik

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-07-2011, 06:30 AM   #16
    Wilson777
    (male)

Wilson777 HB User
    Re: Corneal Abrasion during Lasik

Hey earthworm. I'm 33 years old. I know this would have been a great thing if I were 40, but I'm not. I didn't sign anything indicating that I wanted monovision. This doctor really messed up.

I know this will pay off in my 40's, but that's 7+ years away. I don't want blurry vision for the next 7+ years.

Anyway, I know I can get an enhancement and clear this thing up, but I'm very nervous about going back to this guy. I don't want to! That's why I created the other thread. I'm at a loss and feel cheated. To know that the surgery was a success is a hard pill to swallow, considering I could have 20/20 in both eyes right now.

I'm going to have to wait until the three month mark, I know, and that will give me time to cool off and hopefully adjust.

I just want what I paid for, not what the doctor felt like giving me...............

Thanks for the reply.

Talk to ya later

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2011, 07:22 AM   #17
    bunnystar1
    (male)

bunnystar1 HB User

You may want to consider not paying him or even threatening him with a lawsuit. Hopefully, you have all the documents you signed or ask them to send you a copy. There should be a document that you signed stating what you wanted. If he ignored your request I wouldn't pay him, especially if you have to pay another doctor to evaluate and maybe redo the surgery.

I suspect I too may have 20/30 vision in one eye and I'm looking forward to seeing what my doctor has to say tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:47 PM   #18
    earthworm88
    (female)

earthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wilson777 View Post
    Hey earthworm. I'm 33 years old. I know this would have been a great thing if I were 40, but I'm not. I didn't sign anything indicating that I wanted monovision. This doctor really messed up.

I know this will pay off in my 40's, but that's 7+ years away. I don't want blurry vision for the next 7+ years.

Anyway, I know I can get an enhancement and clear this thing up, but I'm very nervous about going back to this guy. I don't want to! That's why I created the other thread. I'm at a loss and feel cheated. To know that the surgery was a success is a hard pill to swallow, considering I could have 20/20 in both eyes right now.

I'm going to have to wait until the three month mark, I know, and that will give me time to cool off and hopefully adjust.

I just want what I paid for, not what the doctor felt like giving me...............

Thanks for the reply.

Talk to ya later
    I don't blame you one bit for being angry. You are still too young to be "prepared" for the inevitable and it's definitely not his choice to make. The physician has the obligation to explain all the possibilities and their outcomes, but at the end of the day, it is the patient's right to choose what he/she wants (if physician disagrees, he/she can refuse to take on the case, but not to agree and did something else) and the physician should respect that. I can also understand why you wouldn't want to go back to the doctor whom you have lost your trust. I suggest getting a copy of the consent form, and ask for a meeting to see the surgeon and possibly discuss compensation of some sort so that you can go to another doctor?

From the legal standpoint, according to you he admitted to deliberate doing something as "his common practice" and without your consent or knowledge, but you don't have proof of that admission and he could now say that it was an unfortunate case of undercorrection. Someone legal-minded hopefully can help you to figure out the logistics if you decide to go this route.

I am really sorry that you are going through this. With the time and money (not to mention faith and trust) you had invested, you definitely didn't want or need to deal with this type of upset. I hope you did not think that I was making light of your situation by saying there is a solution to this problem. I am only speaking from my experience, and knowing what possible outcomes and things that could go wrong with our eyes from man-made to natural/genetics, our perspectives become relative.

I hope this will get resolved to your satisfaction. Keep us posted. Take care.

Last edited by earthworm88; 06-08-2011 at 03:15 AM. Reason: typos

Old 06-08-2011, 11:47 AM   #19
    bunnystar1
    (male)

bunnystar1 HB User

I had my appointment with my doctor this morning. I was told my right eye has almost healed but my vision in that eye is still 20/50. So my vision hasn't improved, but I thought it may have. I guess I'm getting use to it, because it doesn't irritate me as much.

My left eye is 20/20 and with both eyes I have 20/20.

Anyway, my doctor told me the abrasion needs to close and that light would effect my vision. I do notice that when I'm outside the vision in the right eye is much better than when I'm indoors. The reflection from indoor light affects it. When I'm at my gym which is well lit, I can feel more of the blurry vision in my right eye. Outside I don't feel it.

My doctor says there is an 85% change that the abrasion will heal completely in 3 to 4 months to make my vision 20/20. If not, he can do a minor correction in 3 to 4 months, which I'm not too happy about.

So I guess I'm in the same boat as earthworm88. I'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited by bunnystar1; 06-08-2011 at 11:54 AM.

Old 06-11-2011, 02:05 PM   #20
    Wilson777
    (male)

Wilson777 HB User

Hey Bunnystar and Earthworm. I took your advice and had a second opinion with an ophthalmologist in my home town. It was the BEST move I could have made.

Thank you both so much for encouraging me to do this.

The new doc is a great listener. He's very thorough and went beyond the call of duty to diagnose my issue.

He put dye in my eye and used a UV light to check me out. My surgeon did not take this step to evaluate me.

The new doc found some corneal haze. I couldn't be happier to know that I have corneal haze! WOOOHOOO!

The new doc put me on a regiment of prednisolone drops 3x a day for 10 days and then 2x a day for another 10 days. Earthworm, do you think that will do the trick? I know it will help

At least now I have an explanation of why my vision is still blurry in my left eye. He said that was the only thing he could find that was wrong with my eye.

It feels great to know that it will get better. According to my surgeon, nothing was wrong and I was "stuck" with this vision and it would "probably" improve.

Geeze. I wish I knew about his lack of compassion on the front end. Anyway, it feels amazing to have a little hope.

Hang in there Bunnystar, there is light at the end of the tunnel!

Old 06-11-2011, 07:52 PM   #21
    bunnystar1
    (male)

bunnystar1 HB User

Interesting. My doc told me my eye has healed (not swollen/inflamed) and to stop using the Prednisone drops in a couple of days. I used the drops for over 1 week, first every 2 hours for 2 days, then every 4 hours after. I saw little improvement in my vision. He stated the abrasion just needs to come together and that light would effect the eye making things blurry until it healed. There is an 85% chance it will. If not he'll do an enhancement because the eye is correctable with lenses. They did use lenses to determine if the eye was correctable to 20/20.

Please be sure to post if you see any improvement in the next 20 days. I sure hope you and I do. I really do not want an enhancement. But if it doesn't improve I'll definitely do it!

Old 06-12-2011, 12:03 AM   #22
    earthworm88
    (female)

earthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB Userearthworm88 HB User

Hi Wilson and bunnystar,
    Sounds like both of you had/still have some "inflammation" going on if were treated with Pred past the usual standard 7 day prophylactic treatment.

Wilson, good to know you had a second opinion and this doctor appeared to have better listening and observational skills. As for the treatment plan, it will depend on the severity of the haze, the dosage can be different. Be sure to stick to the instruction and go back for your follow up when the time comes. Just curious, did this second doc thinks that your 20/30 vision was due to this haze? Or did he find out that there was also discrepancy in the prescription as well such as undercorrection?

Bunnystar, seemed like your vision is worse than Wilson at 20/50. But it's good to hear that you seem to have "adjusted" to it a bit and not being overly annoyed by the differences in both eyes. To be honest, abrasion generally shouldn't take that long to heal and resolve, unless you had a big one and a stubborn one at that or you have recurrent erosion (the epithelial cells of the abrasion area heal and than slough off again due to weak reconnection, which unfortunately some corneas are like that, but in this type of cases, you would have experienced discomfort). From your description and your treatment plan, it appeared you had some inflammation going on. So the question is where did your 20/50 come from? A residual prescription due to undercorrection? or possibly corneal haze? or combination of the two? Corneal haze if not significant can resolve over time. You mentioned that they did try to correct you with lenses and you were able to achieve 20/20 crisp vision, then it sounds like a simple case of undercorrection which in itself is good news. In this case, patience is required to let the cornea completely clears and settles down before further enhancement is discussed.

Good luck to the both of you! I am sure all will turn out great at the end, sometimes we are giving detours, and patience is the only thing that will keep us sane. Do take care and keep us posted.

Cheers!

Last edited by earthworm88; 06-12-2011 at 12:03 AM. Reason: typo again!

Old 06-12-2011, 10:23 AM   #23
    Wilson777
    (male)

Wilson777 HB User

Hey Earthworm. The doc said my vision was correctable to 20/25. But the day I went in, was a "bad day." I feel that on a good day, I could have done better during the vision test.

He said that right now I am at 20/30. They had two doctors check me and they were both consistent with my surgeon. So, at least I have that, consistency

I feel really good about having a reason for my blurred vision. I will stick to the pred forte regiment and keep my fingers crossed.

Oh, he didn't say whether the haze was causing my 20/30 vision, but I feel that it's playing a large part.

Is it logical to blame the blurred vision mainly on the haze?

Anyway, thanks again for your response.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:10 AM   #24
    bunnystar1
    (male)

bunnystar1 HB User

Wilson777, do you see a haze and/or blurry vision in the affected eye ? Also, how is your vision outside vs. inside in the affected eye. Outside my vision seems better than indoors with artificial light. At night I can really see the difference. Just curious!

Old 06-12-2011, 01:37 PM   #25
    Wilson777
    (male)

Wilson777 HB User

Hey Bunnystar. My left eye, with the haze, is DEFINATELY blurry. It's like wearing a contact that has buildup on it.

My vision is the same indoors an out but I do have better vision immediately after I use drops

Old 06-12-2011, 03:11 PM   #26
    bunnystar1
    (male)

bunnystar1 HB User

Seems our problems are a little different. I have no haze. With both eyes open I can't see a difference outside during the day. Only when I close each eye to compare I can see a difference. With both eyes open outside, my vision is crystal clear.

However, when I'm indoors, especially at night I can see a difference with both eyes open. Indoor artificial light seems to affect me more.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:45 PM   #27
    Wilson777
    (male)

Wilson777 HB User

I'm sorry you're having to deal with that. It sounds like your abrasion hasn't come together yet.

It shouldn't take long for it to completely heal. When I saw my new doc, he said he couldn't tell that I ever had an abrasion. He could only see a little corneal haze.

My vision is also pretty clear with both eyes open. But, I do notice a little blur.

Hopefully we will both have crystal clear vision in both eyes in a matter of weeks

Let's hope so!

Old 06-22-2011, 08:21 AM   #28
    bunnystar1
    (male)

bunnystar1 HB User

Hey Wilson777, how is your vision driving at night? I went driving last Saturday at night for the first time and was very surprised at how much glare/halo I was seeing. It was extremely annoying and I pray it goes away very soon. I've read it can take up to 6 months to go away which sucks. I read about 1% of people it never goes away. Sure hope I'm not in that group.

Also, now it seems at home at night I'm seeing more glare in both eyes. I now its only 3 weeks and my eyes are still healing but its really annoying.

I just spoke to a couple who had Lasik about 10 years ago and they stated at night their vision was crystal clear. Why couldn't that be me!

Is your vision improving yet in the eye that had the corneal abrasion? For me I think its about the same.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:44 PM   #29
    Wilson777
    (male)

Wilson777 HB User

Hey Bunny. Sorry for the late reply. I was on vaca last week. My night vision is ok. I don't have a lot of problems with halos, but my vision in my left eye is still jacked up.

I have bad news about my left eye. It seems that the corneal abrasion has healed, but I still have some haze in that eye. The problem is that after the haze clears, my "new doc" says he believes that my blurry vision is purely refractive.

So, it looks like the surgeon that under-corrected my, really screwed me up. I am going to give the process a full 3 months from my surgery date to decide what I want to do about this situation.

I hope you improve soon.

I will say a prayer for you

Old 06-27-2011, 06:00 AM   #30
    bunnystar1
    (male)

bunnystar1 HB User

Hope you had a great vacation, in-light of your eye problem. Sorry to hear things haven't improved. Hopefully, your doctor can do an enhancement to fix the under-correction after 3 months if things don't improve.

I called my doctor's office about the glare and they recommended increasing my drops to keep my eyes from drying. I was putting the drops in about twice per day. My eyes didn't feel dry so I didn't worry about the drops. However, after increasing the frequency of drops, my glare "seems" to have decreased a little.

Now my right eye (the eye with the problem) is getting a little better or my left eye has gotten a little worse, because they seem a little more "even". However, now it seems my left eye has a little more glare than my right eye.

I've read that during the healing process your vision can fluctuate so I'll just have to wait for the 3 months to see what happens.

The jury is still out as to if I'm happy I decided to get Lasik. If the halos/glare go away and both eyes become 20/20, then the answer will be "yes". If this isn't accomplished the answer will be "no".

Closed Thread