It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Lexapro concern

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-23-2011, 10:17 AM   #1
    Luvmyhorse
    (female)

Luvmyhorse HB User
    Lexapro concern

Hi everyone....I'm new to these boards. I have anxiety and am 47. I know anxiety sometimes goes with this "age" I'm in...so my doc put me on Lexapro 5 mg. I've been on it 3 weeks now. My nervousness has decreased alot and my anxiety generally seems better. My question is - has anyone taken Lexapro (even low dose like I'm on) and suffered little bursts of anxiety during the day? In other words, I will be doing my normal routine at work and all of a sudden that weird feeling will come over me - starts in my head and works down my body and I get tingly, hands get cold, nervousness starts. Then in about 5 minutes it will subside and I can get back to normal even though my head feels a little funny afterwards. These feel like "mini" anxiety attacks. I'm wondering if I need to up my Lexapro or if it is indeed the medicine that is causing this to happen. What are you opinions on the medication if you've ever taken it? Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2011, 12:32 PM   #2
    tygriff
    (male)

tygriff HB Usertygriff HB Usertygriff HB User
    Re: Lexapro concern

While my experience was not with Lexapro, it was still very similar. When I first started Paxil, I had similar sensations. The sudden anxious rushes that I used to experience, seemed to be duller. They were there, just not as 'severe'.
    For me, I never changed my dosage and now am feeling great (11 years in!!). In my personal opinion (and in my case), the medication provides relief by not allowing your anxious moments / panic attacks from becoming too intrusive and escalating to full blown panic. For me, the medication dulled the anxious moments that happened fairly frequently in the beginning. As a result, I would typically be able to 'get over' the anxious moment fairly quickly. Over time, my 'sensitivity' to the rushes and heart palpitations subsided and now I barely react at all. I definitely still have the rushes, but they seem so small and I no longer obsess over them and they pass as quickly as they came.

I am by no means a doctor, but I would say that if with the current dosage you can 'handle' your anxious moments, don't change how much you take. Your body will adjust over time and these rushes will no longer be noticeable.
    However, if these rushes are interfering with your ability to work, live happily, etc, I would see you Dr or therapist for a review of your symptoms.

Best of luck!!

Last edited by tygriff; 06-23-2011 at 12:34 PM. Reason: edit

Old 06-23-2011, 01:28 PM   #3
    1mozart
    (male)

1mozart HB User

Three weeks? Its amazing that you feel anything yet. I've been on it 10 weeks and its just starting to kick in a bit. I must agree with you, I do believe the stuff that's supposed to calm you down gets you a little (stressed?) sometimes, but mildly. I'm not a doctor, but I would hang in there and give the stuff a chance to work and after a few more weeks maybe your doctor might want to raise the dose a little. I've been on other antidepressants and Lexapro seems like the best so far but my doc said it could take even a few more months before we know if, and how well its working. Good luck!
    WRG

Old 06-23-2011, 07:19 PM   #4
    Luvmyhorse
    (female)

Luvmyhorse HB User

I'm going to continue using it for now and see how I feel in a few weeks. But you are right, I may need to up the dosage. I started feeling better within 3 days of using it. My anxiety/nervousness lessened dramatically in that time period. It's still better, but I still feel the anxiousness creeping through sometimes.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:39 PM   #5
    walkingtall
    (female)

walkingtall HB Userwalkingtall HB Userwalkingtall HB Userwalkingtall HB Userwalkingtall HB Userwalkingtall HB User

I was on Lexapro for nine years and I felt like it quit working so he changed me to Wellbutrin (sp) and I hate it. It does NOT take my panick and anxiety away.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:40 AM   #6
    WOtoLow
    (male)

WOtoLow HB UserWOtoLow HB User

Hi i am on 10 mg of lexapro. I was suffering the most debilitating anxiety imaginable.Constant attacks at work, constant uncomfrotableness, body shakes, depersonalisation and depression. I was taking 1.5 mg of xanax a day Then one day after 4 weeks on 10 mg 3 weeks on 5 mg i woke up and said im sick of feeling like this im sick of being in this cycle of anxiety about anxiety and that single thought, just accepting my anxiety instead of always searching and assesing how i was feeling gave my mind a chance for the Lexapro to truly work and the next day i woke up and it was gone. The lexapro just kicked in overnight. the next day i didnt need the xanax after 3 months on it constantly and i have an addictive personality.

I am so greatfull for this medication. From what my psych tells me 10 mg is a low dose so i would suggest taking the whole tablet. I had a really hard time starting on 5mg but had little trouble moving to 10mg.

Basically you need to approach anxiety with a holistic approach for lexapro to truly work for you. See a psychologist, watch and maintain a good diet, educate yourself. Anxiety works in cycles when you realise that is the anxiety that is making you search for the feeling your describing instead of a physical symptom caused by a physical problem your half way there.

Best of luck there is definately light at the end of the tunnel

One last thing. Dont stress about negative comments on forums about this medication. It will not help. Beleive it will help and the odds are it will. When therapy and other measure have adressesd the issues causing your anxiet you can move off it if you want.

Best of Luck

Old 07-01-2011, 12:17 PM   #7
    1mozart
    (male)

1mozart HB User

Go back to Lexapro. You probably started to feel "normal" so you thought it wasn't working. Wellbutren (SP?) didn't do a thing for me either. Good luck!

Old 07-01-2011, 01:03 PM   #8
    Luvmyhorse
    (female)

Luvmyhorse HB User

Well I'm glad to say that now I've been on the lexapro about 5 weeks or so and I'm feeling better with it. The side effects are going away, and my anxiety is much better. I intend to stay on the medication for as long as my doctor will let me. Thanks everyone for your posts. These boards are very helpful!

Old 07-08-2011, 08:21 AM   #9
    dizzygal954
    (female)

dizzygal954 HB Userdizzygal954 HB User

i think i will be starting lexapro next week, the therapist said she thinks it a good idea.

will see a psychiatrist next week, so i guess i will see what he says too.

what wer eyou side effects? what mg did you start out at?.....did you take xanax or something to reduce the side effects?......

im pretty nervous about starting meds. cause i dont want to feel worse.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:35 AM   #10
    Luvmyhorse
    (female)

Luvmyhorse HB User

When I first started taking Lexapro, I couldn't sleep very well, plus it took a few weeks for my anxiety to completely go away. I also had weird feelings in my head (like brain zaps). I didn't feel like myself for a while either. But all that has since subsided and now I feel alot more like myself. I'm only on 5 mg. a day which is the lowest dosage out there and it has helped me. I also had Klonopin to take for anxiety attacks, but I only used a couple of them. I was very nervous about starting it and didn't even start taking it when I was supposed to because of my fear of taking it. I almost quit using it after a week but I'm glad I kept going because my anxiety is much better and I"m not having any anxiety attacks now.

Closed Thread